Grilled Pork Chops 2 Ways: Kid-Friendly and Parent-Approved

by in Family, June 25th, 2013

Grilled Pork Chops 2 Ways: Kid-Friendly and Parent-ApprovedPork chops aren’t just for the frying pan. A thick pork chop, bone-in or -out, can be just as juicy as any burger when you cook it on the grill. What you need is a good rub (to be delicious) and skewer (to be a hit with the kids).

Our three kids were all born in Italy, where a summertime staple is arrosticini, small cubes of meat (usually lamb) on a skewer, seasoned with nothing but olive oil, salt and the occasional sprig of rosemary. The flavor is delicious, the technique is fun and kids love them for both of those reasons.

Recreating that dish was one of the first things we did when we moved back to the United States this spring, and pork chops do the trick. Use a rub of 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon smoked paprika, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon dried or fresh thyme and 1/4 teaspoon pepper for the whole chops and for one diced up for the kids.

Tip: Put the chop in the freezer for 5 minutes for easier slicing. Roll cubes in the rub and slide onto a bamboo stick.

The smaller you dice the pork, the faster and more evenly it’ll cook, which will be quicker than whole pork chops, so plan accordingly. Another idea: Add fresh peppers or pineapple to transform your skewer into a kebab.

10 Simple Halloween Party Food Hacks for Kids

Here are 10 of the simplest ways to bring tons of Halloween fun to a party, classroom or family table in just minutes. 1. Creepy-Crawly Caterpillars (...

1. Dana says:

Kanya can say the "N" word all day long and everything's okay. It's accepted when he says it on a daily or hourly basis. Paula Deen says it in decent context once in her lifetime…many years ago…and you fire her for it. I will never watch your show again.

2. Kelly Ann says:

Aside from the news what about her? Too much eye liner, hairspray, cackling and does she have to wear all that jewelry and rings? Less is more.

3. support paula says:

FOOD NETWROK SUCKS FOR FIRING PAULA DEEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HECK WITH THEM! I'LL WATCH OTHER NETWORKS WHO COOK FOOD. FOOD NETWORK'S RATINGS AREN'T GOING TO BE GOOD_

4. SKT says:

I'm sick to death of Paula Deen. Can we talk about the recipe…please??? I finally got my hands on some smoked paprika, but didn't know until now exactly where I should start to use it! Now I know! I think I'll do the skewers, first!

5. Donna says:

I followed a link to look at pork chop recipes and thought I would look at comments about the recipe. But all I see is stuff about Paula Deen. I normally dont remark on stuff but this is just ridiculous. Its one thing to support (or not support, whatever) but to completely just spin pork into such negativity is crazy, how is that making things better Or makes you a better person? Especially comments made about how she looks. Really?! ….ok,I will get off my soap box now. Maybe I am just being slightly hypocritical, but I just dont understand people sometimes.

6. joe espinosa says:

Flood food network with paula deen support till they return her