- Comments (2)
Bobby Flay may be one of three no-nonsense judge-mentors on Food Network Star, but he’s also Food Network’s resident grill master, the go-to guy for top burger, side dish and cocktail recipes all summer long. He’s known for his penchant for barbecue and fresh, contemporary takes on classic Southwestern cuisine, so it’s no surprise that when FN Dish caught up with him at the South Beach Wine & Food Festival, he was preparing jerk chicken tacos with red cabbage slaw and tangerine margaritas. Fresh off his win at the 2013 Burger Bash competition, Bobby chatted with fans in the standing-room-only crowd, sharing strategies for stress-free summer entertaining and answering questions about hosting the ultimate cookout. Read on to hear from Bobby, and learn his top-five tips for warm-weather eating and drinking.
5. When you’re serving something in a tortilla — like a taco — it’s best to overseason the filling because it will have to work to maintain its flavor within the wrapping.
4. “Taste every single thing,” no matter what you’re cooking or how.
3. Make the best mojo sauce by combining garlic, olive oil, chili powder, cumin and an acid of your choice. Vinegar is a go-to pick for many.
2. “Iodized salt doesn’t work for margaritas.” Stick with something more coarse, like kosher salt.
1. To make the ultimate jerk dry rub, stick with a combination of garlic and onion powders, ground cloves and cinnamon, brown sugar and habanero chile powder.