Beef and Bean Burritos — The Weekender

by in Recipes, June 21st, 2013

Beef and Bean BurritosBurritos were a staple food during the Southern California portion of my childhood. We made them at home, ordered them at restaurants and kept a few pre-made Trader Joe’s bean and cheese burritos in the freezer for quick lunches and after-school snacking.

Oddly, once we headed north to Portland, burritos fell out of the rotation (replaced, I imagine, by grilled salmon). Still, I’ve always had a soft spot for the burrito.

Recently, while plotting out the next couple weeks of meals, I realized I have a great deal of travel in store during the course of the summer. I’m the primary cook in my household, and while my husband is more than capable of managing his own meals, I like to leave a few homemade things in the freezer for him when I’m going to be away for more than two nights.

So far I have frozen several portions of vegetable-heavy turkey chili, made a couple homemade frozen pizzas and wrapped up half a dozen homemade burritos.

Building a Beef and Bean BurritoI took my burrito inspiration from The Pioneer Woman’s recipe for Beef and Bean Burritos, though I will confess: I also added a dollop of sauteed and well-chopped kale. The recipe makes a dozen burritos, which ended up working perfectly for us. We ate half the recipe for dinner on Sunday (dressed with more sauce, topped with cheese and baked off) and popped the balance (undressed and individually wrapped) into the freezer. It was a most-satisfying Weekender.

Before you start cooking, read these tips:

— It could have been the fault of the enchilada sauce I used, but I felt like the beef filling was a bit under-seasoned. If you like a burrito with a little more spice, make sure to taste and adjust the filling before using.

— One of the great things about burritos is that you can really put just about anything into them. The Pioneer Woman’s recipe is a good starting place, but feel free to improvise.

— I have found that the best way to freeze homemade burritos is by wrapping them individually in parchment paper and then tucking them all into one large, well-labeled zip-top bag. I like to use parchment paper because it is safe for both the microwave and the oven.

Marisa McClellan is a food writer and canning teacher who lives in Center City Philadelphia. Find more of her food (all cooked up in her 80-square-foot kitchen) at her blog, Food in Jars. Her first cookbook, Food in Jars: Preserving in Small Batches Year-Round, is now available.

Christmas Week Prep: The Pioneer Woman’s Fastest, Easiest Meals

In the midst of hectic holiday prep, guarantee an easy weeknight dinner with the help of Ree's fastest dinners....

1. Lyle BeBee says:

I will no longer watch the Foodnetwork show, brand or chefs. I will not buy or use anything with your name on it. Paula Deen is a wonderful person and you are stupid and misguided in your attempts to keep the left happy

2. Guest says:

I am completely baffled that we as a society can forgive our criminal athletes and embrace them but when someone who makes a mistake and says the wrong thing, gets FIRED from a long time job after apologizing immediately and genuinely. I will not be watching Food Network anymore either until Food Network can become a real people's network and forgive.

3. theresa says:

Paula – What a woman !!!! You are way too Good for this foodnetwk -WAY TOO GOOD! Love you!

4. barbara says:

For heaven sakes. How many years ago did this happen? And she didn't lie or cover it up but admitted and said she was sorry for her mistake. I won't be watching Food Network either. You are stupid.

5. Marie says:

I too cannot believe that Food Network has fired Paula Deen! Yes, I was disappointed with her because of the racial slurs, however, her apology is sincere and I do not believe she has hate in her heart. She has grown and is a better person. Being interracially married I do not take the use of racial slurs lightly, however in this case she has apologized and we should accept, learn, and move on. I cannot support Food Network in this decision.

6. lmanley says:

I am shocked that Food Network jumped on that band wagon so quickly, to fire Paula Deen. I too was born and raised in the South at about the same time she was. It was a different time, not an excuse, just the way that it was. Some of my dearest friends today are black people and I would never use that slur. But, to say I had never said it, would be a lie. I commend her for being honest and feel that when all is said and done, she will come out of this as the better person!!!

7. Lynn Ford says:

I can't believe FN doing this to Paula. After all she has done for FN and you don't back her up. Thank you for at least keeping her on your website. I will miss her on TV. I think Oprah will have her on her show to explain then offer her a show on her channel. Paula will recover and come back if not with FN which will be your loss.

8. rich says:

Done with FN, even removed your apps from my iPhone…What about Robert Irving lying on job app?

9. Irene moe says:

I'm so proud of Paula for being honest, That's more than I can say for FN! No more Paula no more you.

10. NOmoreFOODnetwork says:

I guess NO ONE who is in management with the Food Network has EVER used such a word??? Oh, my, how perfect they all are, must be hard carrying those halos around 24/7!!! I personally HATE the N-word, BUT, this was a LONG time ago, and she was truthful, what happened to forgiveness?? Besides, I think if we go back YEARS ago and start trying to judge and convict on words, we'd all be locked up! This is BEYONE ridiculous!! Shame on YOU, Food Network!! Won't be watching you, BUT WILL watch whichever network smart enough to pick up Paula, her fans love her, THAT hasn't changed!

• NOmoreFOODnetwork says:

Yes, I see my errors, SORRY!! Please forgive me for clicking the "submit comment" button prematurely!!
      My name should have been "NOmoreFOODnetwork4me"!