Beef and Bean Burritos — The Weekender

by in Recipes, June 21st, 2013

Beef and Bean BurritosBurritos were a staple food during the Southern California portion of my childhood. We made them at home, ordered them at restaurants and kept a few pre-made Trader Joe’s bean and cheese burritos in the freezer for quick lunches and after-school snacking.

Oddly, once we headed north to Portland, burritos fell out of the rotation (replaced, I imagine, by grilled salmon). Still, I’ve always had a soft spot for the burrito.

Recently, while plotting out the next couple weeks of meals, I realized I have a great deal of travel in store during the course of the summer. I’m the primary cook in my household, and while my husband is more than capable of managing his own meals, I like to leave a few homemade things in the freezer for him when I’m going to be away for more than two nights.

So far I have frozen several portions of vegetable-heavy turkey chili, made a couple homemade frozen pizzas and wrapped up half a dozen homemade burritos.

Building a Beef and Bean BurritoI took my burrito inspiration from The Pioneer Woman’s recipe for Beef and Bean Burritos, though I will confess: I also added a dollop of sauteed and well-chopped kale. The recipe makes a dozen burritos, which ended up working perfectly for us. We ate half the recipe for dinner on Sunday (dressed with more sauce, topped with cheese and baked off) and popped the balance (undressed and individually wrapped) into the freezer. It was a most-satisfying Weekender.

Before you start cooking, read these tips:

— It could have been the fault of the enchilada sauce I used, but I felt like the beef filling was a bit under-seasoned. If you like a burrito with a little more spice, make sure to taste and adjust the filling before using.

— One of the great things about burritos is that you can really put just about anything into them. The Pioneer Woman’s recipe is a good starting place, but feel free to improvise.

— I have found that the best way to freeze homemade burritos is by wrapping them individually in parchment paper and then tucking them all into one large, well-labeled zip-top bag. I like to use parchment paper because it is safe for both the microwave and the oven.

Marisa McClellan is a food writer and canning teacher who lives in Center City Philadelphia. Find more of her food (all cooked up in her 80-square-foot kitchen) at her blog, Food in Jars. Her first cookbook, Food in Jars: Preserving in Small Batches Year-Round, is now available.

Three-Cheese and Artichoke Calzones — Meatless Monday

The benefit of Italian-inspired dishes is that oftentimes meat never even factors into them. Giada De Laurentiis’ Three-Cheese and Artichoke Cal...

1. blaaa says:

Up yours Foodnutwork

2. Jean says:

Will no longer watch anything on the Food Network. We should boycott this network.

3. OldSarg says:

No Paula no watching = No buying from your advertisers = No Food Network.

Good job

4. jeane bell says:

To hell with you Food Network.You would not be here today if it was not for Paula Deen. You are spineless weasels.

5. Bo Fletcher says:

Self-Righteous hypocrites. That is the Food Network ill ask my cable provider to remove you from the line-up i hope others do as well.

6. Jim says:

Goodbye Food Network – you're absolutely ridiculous to not renew Paula – Won't watch you anymore

7. outraged says:

Blacks can use the "N" word in their rapping and in there daily conversations, but just let a white say it and all the spineless people (such as food network) will throw them under the train! This is an atrocity and I hope your network folds because of this. What hypocrites!!!

• Fed Up says:

You're exactly right. A lot of my friends are black and they refer to each other using the "N" word all the time, but god forgive me if I said it to them even jokingly. They might accept it, but if any other Blacks heard it the s— would hit the fan.
      That being said why is it perfectly ok for them to call white people or any other race by any racist term they choose to use. I am completely fed up with the complete hypocracy of the majority of the Black people in this country and the stupid news media that is scared to death they may be considered racist and spread this rediculous situation.
      I don't owe anyone an apology for anything that happened years ago, which I had nothing to do with. These people need to get a life and grow up. Nobody that I have talked to today wants anything further to do with the Food Network.
      Amen to that

8. Les says:

No more Food Network for me! Bring Paula back, then we will come back.

9. Pam J. says:

I am absolutely stunned that the Food Network would fire Paula after all she's done for them. She answered a simple question honestly and is being crucified for it. Unfortunately, there aren't very many 60+ year olds that could say they've never used racial slurs of one sort or the other in their lifetimes. Times have changed, we've grown up and we are all more politically correct. It's unfathomable to me that the FN is not accepting Paula's apology and moving on and backing her the way she has backed the FN for many years. I have been an avid fan of FN for a very long time, but no more. I will not watch, I will not buy any more of their products and I will ask my cable provider to drop their programming. Offer her job back to her or say goodbye to your audience. Hopefully, the other chefs on FN will stand up for her and insist FN reconsider their arrogant, hypocritical decision. They will ultimately suffer too from this action.

• LeeAnn says:

None of the other people on FN can say anything about it either for fear of losing their jobs. They may support Paula but can't bite the hand that feeds them. Nothing like keeping the troops in line.

10. Marcy says:

Really these aren't burritos..I'm Mexican American and I've never had or seen burritos like these ,they look like enchiladas.Burritos with kale …lol