WATCH: Food Network Stars Reveal Their Nightmare Chopped Ingredients

by in View All Posts, May 24th, 2013

Just imagine what the contestants go through every round on Chopped when they each stand in front of a mystery basket, getting ready to open the lid just as the clock goes off. It’s surely a feeling of dread as to what ingredients they might find inside, maybe even something that could cause nightmares, like an odd piece of offal, an exotic fruit or even candy.

FN Dish caught up with Food Network stars including Alton Brown, Bobby Flay, Michael Symon and Anne Burrell, as well as the judges themselves and other famous faces, to ask: “What’s your nightmare Chopped ingredient?” Watch the video above to hear which ingredient causes the most nightmares.

What would be your nightmare basket ingredient? Tell us in the comments.

Tags:

Top 10 Recommended Eats from the North: On the Road with America’s Best Cook

On America’s Best Cook, Sundays at 9|8c, home cooks battle it out for the chance to win the title of America’s Best Cook, all while repres...

1. Stephanie says:

I would have to say pomegranate anything. I hate the taste so whatever I made with it, I would think it tasted horrible. How do you make something delicious out of an ingredient you hate?

Also, chicken. I just have trouble telling if it's done without cutting it open and making sure the center isn't bloody.

2. guest says:

My basket ingredient would have to be bacon for the dessert round because so many times on Chopped the judges would not like someone's dessert because of it

3. guest says:

Pig head
    And bacon jam

4. dera5 says:

Gooey Duck and durian would scare me.

5. Chopped Fan says:

appetizer: frozen meatballs, fruity pebbles, cherry coke, limes
    entree: dried pineapples, cinnamon schnapps, pork chops, frozen peas
    dessert: butterscotch pudding, saltine crackers, frozen berries, kale

6. mememe says:

I'd like to suggest a basket ingredient.

Synthetic meat.

It would be awesome to obtain some of this to see what the chefs can do with it. I imagine synthetic meat will eventually become a staple in the human diet.

7. Charlene Woodfork says:

They should try King crab tails, cabbage, rice noodles, Cajun Andouille sausage and cheese cake.

8. Samantha says:

Hmmm..i live in the south..
    TRY:
    Spam
    sweet tea
    hush puppies
    brussel sprouts

9. I love this show and watch it all the time

10. Leah says:

You're an idiot!!

11. Kim says:

Now that would be an episode to remember!

12. Deb says:

This section posed readers a question of "What would be your nightmare basket ingredient? So all of you Paula Deen lovers please take your comments to the appropriate forum and leave this Chopped one free of your nonsense. Thanks ever so much.

13. Texas eater says:

I doubt is there is anyone at the Food Network that has NOT used an ethnic slur in their ENTIRE life. Paula Deen was raised and grew up in the South where this was a common word. There are ethnic slurs used against every race. Paula has been singled out by someone that has a vendetta for her. Bring Paula back to the network and then take a survey of everyone and ask them if they have EVER used that word. How can you not know the word when you can hear it while walking down just about any public street where AAs are congregating.

14. W.G. says:

I don't agree with you. I am a naturalized American citizen, therefore I wasn't born in this country. Not having been in this country my whole life, I have already felt great prejudice and stereotyping being not in the so-called mainstream culture. I have got bad/hurtful words even from my white mother-in-law. I have not heard any bad words against mainstream people from any colored food networks hosts/hostesses. So get real!

15. W.G says:

My Caucasian husband refused to watch anything by Jamie Foxx because of his extremely racial comments. You watched Django Unchained? He killed that stupid sister of the slave master at the end too. I think she deserved it, absolutely. How about when your white mother in law who never really worked in her whole life, never went to a college, can't make her own living (meaning a parasite?), but still thinks she is better than a colored immigrant who makes 6 digits a year because of her/his education and skills?

16. geri says:

I will have to agree with country cook and respectfully disagree with you. I am Asian American. All I can say is that I have never heard any slurs raised against me. And frankly, if I heard one, I'd say as one Korean mentor had taught me to say…"Oh well, too bad you feel like that. You'd probably like me if you knew me, but if you feel that way, your loss." There are mean people from all walks of life. But there also are just ignorant people who, due to their culture, just don't realize that what they say is hurtful…we are talking about something that happened over 20 years ago, and America was a different place. And when Paula Deene was growing up in the South, however many years that was ago, it was certainly a very different place than it is right now. And why is it that an African-American can say that word to another AA and no one bats an eye? If it is about the dignity of another human being, no one should say that word, least of all someone who is AA!!!! This is not specifically to get Paula Deene's show back on Food Network…frankly, I don't watch her show, she kinda irritates me, but it is not because I think that she is a racist!