Chopped Mystery Basket Weirdest Ingredient Bracket Tournament — Announcing the Winner

by in Shows, May 8th, 2013

Chopped Bracket FinalsSome of the mystery basket ingredients that get used on Chopped are pretty unusual, to say the least. But the culinary producers who come up with them don’t just draw them out of a hat — though sometimes it does seem that way! They take their time to decide on the ingredients, making sure the basket components are just right and actually manageable. FN Dish queried the culinary producers to find out the top 16 weirdest basket ingredients they’ve had on the show. The list of ingredients ranged from goat brains to gummy eggs over easy — almost no ingredient is off-limits.

Now, Chopped fans, in the past four weeks, you’ve been voting in this Bracket Tournament to determine the weirdest mystery basket ingredient ever used in the show’s history. What started out as 16 ingredients was narrowed down to just one. Today, FN Dish is revealing your winner.

Here’s how the Bracket Tournament worked:

In Round 1, from April 10 to April 17, you voted on the 16 ingredients and narrowed them down to eight.

In Round 2, from April 17 to April 24, you voted on the eight ingredients and narrowed them down to four.

In Round 3, from April 24 to May 1, you voted on the four ingredients and narrowed them down to two.

In Round 4, from May 1 to May 8, you narrowed down the final two to one winner.

And the winner is: Mashed Potato Candy!

Chopped Bracket Winner

Just in case you want to try making your own mashed potato candy, here’s a recipe from Food Network Star Season 9 winner Justin Warner.

“It’s Dress-Up Time Again” — Alton’s After-Show

From souffle suits to Greek-inspired togas, Alton Brown‘s not one to shy away from costumes, as the Cutthroat Kitchen host has gleefully auction...

1. Jacquie says:

Can you please have a vegetarian episode, with an all vegetarian basket? That hasn't been done, and would be great to watch!

2. Kate king says:

Hi I am 13 and i love to watch this show. And I would like to say that I would like to see a(n) episode where the host Ted Allen is actually versing other host like the two host on iron chef america and sweet geanuse. My friend kim and I would absolutely LOOOOOOVVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEE that. Thanks, Kate

3. @Lodrelhai says:

I love this show, but my friends and I are waiting for the day truffle oil is in the basket. We figure it's the only way someone who uses it will end up winning.

4. guest says:

i think thy should have a show with bug mystery ingrediants

5. Angie Lopez says:

I think they should have teens or adults of celebrity chefs!!!! That might be kind of cool

6. val says:

simply love this show![polldaddy 7325888 http://answers.polldaddy.com/poll/7325888/ polldaddy]

7. Alex Baggett says:

How about having an episode where the contestants have to use the only discarded parts of an ingredient?

I.E. Broccoli stems, Carrot greens, Avocado shells, Watermelon peels, Banana peels ,Parsley stems, Fish bones, Gizzards, Bell pepper seeds. Onion skins, Shrimp shells, Pineapple cores and so on.

Could probably give them a mercy ingredient like lemon peels, or give them lime peels instead ;)

8. harley says:

I think should have a kid competition!

9. Hi I am 30 and i love to watch this show

10. Hi I am 36 and i love to watch this show.