Enchiladas, burritos and tacos may be traditional fare on Cinco de Mayo, but when it comes to feeding a crowd this weekend, look to big batches of warm chicken tortilla soup to make entertaining a cinch. A no-fuss favorite that will impress your guests, tortilla soups are packed with bold spices and hearty ingredients like beans and vegetables; plus they become an all-in-one-meal when made with moist, juicy chicken. Check out Food Network’s top-five chicken tortilla soup recipes below to find the ultimate roundup of flavor-packed favorites from chefs like Guy, Rachael, Trisha and the Pioneer Woman, then browse Food Network’s entire collection of Cinco de Mayo eats and drinks.
5. Grilled Chicken Tortilla Soup With Tequila Crema — After marinating chicken thighs in a mixture of garlic, cumin and chili powder, Guy grills and shreds them, then tops the chicken with a jalapeno-laced broth, fried tortilla strips and cool sour cream spiked with tequila. Click the play button on the video after the jump below to watch him make it.
4. Chicken Fajita Tortilla Soup — Rachael brings all of the flavors and textures you look for in classic fajitas to a satisfying soup by simmering chicken tenders with onions, peppers and jalapenos in a tomato broth and serving each bowl with crunchy tortilla chips, shredded cheese and creamy avocado.
3. Trisha’s Chicken Tortilla Soup — Packed with a duo of beans, prepared salsa and boneless chicken breasts, Trisha’s five-star bowl boasts a comforting creaminess, thanks to rich half-and-half.
2. The Pioneer Woman’s Chicken Tortilla Soup — Instead of just garnishing each bowl with tortillas, Ree also mixes some corn tortillas into her five-star soup before serving; then she lets guests help themselves to a spread of traditional toppings, like sour cream, avocado and red onion.
1. Tortilla Soup (pictured above) — Put leftover chicken to work in Food Network Kitchens’ top-rated soup, fully flavored with chipotles in adobo sauce, fresh cilantro and bright lime juice.