11 Things You Didn’t Know About Scott Conant

by in Shows, April 1st, 2013

Scott ConantYou’ve seen them judge the competition, battle for the title of All-Stars champion and compete in a friendly game with colleagues on After Hours, but there’s a lot you don’t know about the judges of Chopped. Here’s your chance to get to know the nine people behind the Chopping Block.

Scott Conant is well known for his Italian restaurant, Scarpetta, in New York City. In 2010 he opened additional locations in Toronto, Beverly Hills and Las Vegas. Many people know Scott as the finicky judge who hates onions on Chopped, but there’s more to this chef than meets the eye. Besides cooking professionally, Scott loves to cook with his 3-year-old daughter. If given the choice, he’d rather eat his mom’s cooking over a fancy meal for his last supper. Find out more about Scott in his Q&A below.

What’s your Achilles’ heel ingredient, one that you hate to work with or encounter in someone else’s dish?
Scott Conant: Pretension. One time, people gave me a bunch of mood boards and wanted me to create a menu based on a series of pictures. I have no patience for that.

What dish or ingredient will we never catch you eating?
SC: Durian, insects, rodents.

What was your most memorable meal? What, where, who? Details, please.
SC: Meadowood in St. Helena, Calif. The balance of flavors, the creativity, the soulfulness, the service, the execution — all of it was perfect. Within its perfection, it was an emotional experience.

What’s your guilty pleasure food?
SC: Skippy Reduced Fat, Super Chunk Peanut Butter.

Is there one dish that you always order out and never make at home?
SC: Octopus. I love a delicious octopus.

What kitchen tool can’t you live without?
SC: Hand-held blender.

If you weren’t in food, what career would you like to have tried?
SC: I would have been a baseball player when I was younger and now be so rich I wouldn’t have to work anymore.

What’s your favorite “food city” to visit?
SC: Tokyo. Best food top to bottom that I’ve ever had.

What’s your favorite late-night snack?
SC: Popcorn with sea salt and popped in extra virgin olive oil.

What’s one must-have at your last supper?
SC: My mother’s sausage and peppers.

Who’s your favorite person to cook with?
SC: My 3-year-old daughter.

Rapid fire: Think fast!
Ketchup or mustard? Mustard
Chocolate or vanilla? Chocolate
Coffee or tea? Coffee
Burger or hot dog? Burger
Cream cheese or butter? Cream cheese
Soda or water? Water
Sprinkles or jimmies? Jimmies

Get to Know the Rest of the Judges:
Aarón Sánchez
Alex Guarnaschelli
Amanda Freitag
Chris Santos
Geoffrey Zakarian
Maneet Chauhan
Marc Murphy
Marcus Samuelsson

How to Play the Game of Kitchen Casino — Part Gambling, Part Cooking

Kitchen Casino uniquely combines cooking with gambling-themed games that not only test chefs’ abilities to think — and cook — on their feet,...

1. Miss Davida Tyson says:

Scott! You're the best! Win for your charity!

2. Bethany says:

I really want them to put red onions in the first basket :)

• Ann Proctor says:

Me too! Does he not understand that a dish is not created around the likes or dislikes of just one person. The chefs are being judged on their creativity, taste and appearance, not on Scott's personal preferences?

• L Guyan says:

A agree and I put him at the top of my most hated judge list all the time. Even if I didn't like red onions especially I think it is rude for him to say anything like that as a judge. To me a judge is an honor and he doesn't honor the job and position given him.

3. sandt says:

He is so hot! And he can cook…what more could one ask for? :-)

4. FanNcontestant says:

I so hope his hair is better than it was for the season 15 opener. Worst.hair.day.ever on Chopped!

5. laura says:

Just Love Scott ! And his hair ! :)

6. Kelly says:

I'll be rooting for you! I like the shorter 'do…I have a great idea for a Chopped basket…PEZ!

7. Grumpy says:

I wish he would smile once in a while. He always looks pissed…

• ChefAnneWatcher says:

He's been getting better, lately…LOVE that smile! ;)

On the other hand, Geoffrey (the other chopped judge) has been grinchier as of late…and that scowl is a real turn off for me.

8. nesterof6 says:

Scott I think your are an incredibly handsome man but please don't fluff up the hair again!

9. C Vera S says:

I love the comment about cooking with his 3 year old. My soon-to-be 18 year old was 3 when we got Food Network for the first time. Emeril was his hero. He couldn't get enough of his show and shocked a store clerk at age 4, by running to the pots and pans, and correctly pointing out "what the Bam Man uses". His little hands were finally big enough at age eight, to crack an egg one handed "like they do on TV". Scott, if you read these blogs, enjoy every minute of it now, because they grow up way too fast. Now my kid wants to be an engineer, but he cooks his own breakfasts and loves to tinker in the kitchen.

10. Kathy D says:

My handicap grandson, who is 7 now and I love to cook together. He was cutting tomatoes when he was 3. His favorite thing to do is flip pancakes. He and I watch the Foodnet work, all the time.
    He says he likes it better than cartoons. His favorites are Chef Ann and Guy. He loves their wild hair.
    HA! Now he can add Scott to that list, even though he does not cook. You'll keep up the great work.
    We love to watch all the show, LOVE FROM TEXAS.