Chef Wanted: Nikki Beach Update

by in Shows, April 25th, 2013

Chef WantedNikki Beach is a high-profile restaurant and resort concept with 10 international locations that cater to the wealthy. Jack and Lucia Penrod, who opened their first location in Miami Beach in 1998, were looking for an executive chef for their new location in Ibiza, Spain. Anne Burrell and the Chef Wanted team were called in to help with the search. After two grueling tests and dinner services, an offer was extended to Chef Jouvens Jean.

Jouvens Jean is a chef from the Bahamas who has worked as an executive chef in Miami for the past 10 years. He’s counting on the opportunity at Nikki Beach because he wants to get better medical attention for his ailing father.

The first test the chefs were tasked with was to create an extravagant platter for the restaurant’s high-end clientele with no expenses spared. Chef Jean made a “fire and ice” seafood platter with lobster, osetra caviar, oysters, scallop ceviche, foie gras and langoustines. Jack and Lucia were impressed with his plating and execution. For the second test, the chefs had to use a local fish to create a dish that captured the restaurant’s transition from day to night. Chef Jean made poached black grouper with a Florida lobster tempura roll, shaved white asparagus and truffled osetra caviar. His biggest difficulty was cooking the fish using a makeshift sous-vide method, which ultimately wasn’t successful even on the second try. Jack and Lucia thought the presentation was beautiful but found the flavors disagreeable, as the truffle oil overwhelmed the dish.

Except for some nervousness, dinner prep went well for Chef Jean. His pre-shift was very successful, and he received high praises from Anne and the owners on his flavors. But once dinner started, he found himself in trouble when the tuna appetizer ran out. Chef Jean ended up taking all of his chefs off the line so they could prepare more of the appetizer. This resulted in very long wait times for main courses, but once the chef regained control over the kitchen, things went smoothly until the end of service. Jack and Lucia were impressed with Chef Jean’s control of the staff, good attitude and exceptional flavors, and they offered him the job of executive chef at Nikki Beach Ibiza.

FN Dish caught up with Chef Jean after the show taped. Watch the video above to find out what he’s been doing. Chef Jean didn’t end up taking the job at Nikki Beach because he didn’t want to leave his current chef position. But he says he learned a lot about himself from competing on the show.

Guy Reveals 8 Techniques to Survive Guy’s Grocery Games

Guy’s Grocery Games: the only show where chefs have the supermarket to themselves, have to cook in it and have the chance to win some serious do...

1. gptma2013 says:

As much as I love Anne Burrell, I give up on this show. It makes no sense. I'm tired of hearing these candidates slobber over how much they need the job for all these various reasons, only not to take it because they don't want their cat to be traumatized by the move.

2. I'm done! says:

If the winner doesn't really need/want the job, I don't know why I should believe what any of the candidates are saying. Is the runner up really unemployed? At this point I don't believe any of it. If it's a straight up competition show, fine, I like those too. The artifice pisses me off. I'm deleting this show off the DVR pronto.

Thank you for the link FNGossip. Tragic for all involved.

3. jeff says:

Shows a joke. What happenned to the resaurant that needed a chef?

4. Penelope says:

So the guy who really needed a job, didn't get it. What a bunch of crap. This guy kept another chef from getting work.

• Foot Network fan says:

Completely agree. I don't think there's been an episode where the chef that was offered the job actually takes it, and then keeps it. I certainly hope the other guy in this situation was offered the job, or found suitable employment!

• Organica Black says:

No one gets a job. Other unemployed chefs have not taken the job, I am willing to bet that the owners want the PR but offer the chefs a lousy salary.

5. rjg says:

Obviously the restaurant owners are only doing it for publicity for their restaurants. They probably offer minimum wage and no benefits so the winner won't take the job. Whether its that or some other fishy reason, it obviously is a scam!

6. suzy says:

Love Chef Anne but will not watch another show. Have any winners accepted the job? Absolutely ridiculous.

• PSchmidt says:

Agree 100% Recorded it but looked at update 1st to see if the chosen chef took the job…yet again….NO….so just deleted it….

• Antoinette says:

Too bad you deleted it, I think it was one of THE BEST ones. Even if Chef Jean made his OWN decision to stay where he was at. Who knows maybe they offered him a BIG raise to stay? Never know huh? Were it you, you might have decided differently also. Walk a mile in my moccasins.

• paula22 says:

I can only think of one chef that took the job out of all these chefs that claim they need the job but no one takes it. This show is really stupid and I will not watch it again either. I thought this guy needed the job too help his father with medical costs but then he said he does not want to leave his current position. I do not understand why these people waste there time and the owners time if they are not going to take the job. Do they do this just to be on TV? Another thing Anne or anyone from Food network has ever responded to questions regarding why people do not take the job.

7. masidler says:

I find it very interesting that Food Network even posts these follow-up videos because they publicize the abject failure of the show's purported goal, to find and employ talented chefs.

8. Olive Oil says:

I just think a lot of tme passes between the time the show is filmed and then aired. Thngs change. I am disappointed Chef Jean did not take the job. Something is going on behind the scenes I believe. Are the owners refusing the pay for the chef to make the move where they will be head chef? I don't know. It is a good concept, but very strange that none of the winners take the position. Well this was the season finale. Not sure if Chef Wanted will be back in the line-up for a new season or not. Very disappointing. I really enjoyed the original episodes w/o Chef Anne and I was hoping Chef Anne would be the cherry on the top. *sign…

9. @xwiseguyx says:

why is everyone so ticked off here… makes no sense. They are coming forward and being honest that they didn't accept. The problem is more with the candidates who just want to be on TV and I hope in the future, they weed these people out for those who really need the job. But I look forward to the next season which starts in August! Yeah!!!

• Danielle says:

Your right the problem would be weeding out the candidates but every show is the same thing The Chef says I really want or need this job and they pump that up.. than for whatever reason over half of them dont take the job they dont even show up for day one and quit nope they just say you know what even though i said i really wanted this job and needed it thanks but no thanks or The Job never really existed in the first place lmao.. It just doesnt make sense in my view but hey if it works for you no worries.

• Rosemary says:

Can't speak for "everyone" just for myself. I'm ticked off because the show is selling a bill of goods it doesn't deliver on. That's not fair. Sure, they offer the job to a chef but when do they offer an explanation of why the chefs don't take it? There is something dishonest about it. My guess is that the restaurants are out for publicity and the prospective chefs are either being scammed or they are in on it. On this show, the chef would have to move to Spain and how many chefs do you know who would move their whole family to Spain for a job with so many uncertainties? And why would the "winning" chef even consider leaving his sick father who was the reason he came on the show.? Shame on you, Anne!

10. FoodieGirl says:

It's a job interview. Aren't we all allowed to interview, be made an offer and say no. That's what I thought. Have you ever interviewed for a job in your field and worried about the other candidates? I thought not. Get over yourselves. It's television. It's a job interview. It's not your life to judge.