One-on-One With the Latest Blue Team Recruit to Go Home — Worst Cooks in America

by in Shows, March 24th, 2013

Chet Pourciau and Alina BolshakovaFor the 14 recruits competing on Worst Cooks in America, it’s the opportunity of a lifetime to learn kitchen basics and culinary how-tos from Anne Burrell and Bobby Flay — two of New York City’s top restaurant chefs and some of Food Network’s most celebrated stars. It’s up to the contestants to use the tools the chefs provide to learn how to master certain skills on their own and demonstrate progress in the kitchen. Despite their best efforts, however, one recruit from Chef Anne’s Red Team and another from Chef Bobby’s Blue Team will ultimately succumb to the challenges of Boot Camp week after week as they compete for $25,000 and bragging rights for their coach.

Check back with FN Dish every Sunday after the episode for the first interviews with the latest eliminated contestants to read their exclusive reflections on the competition, thoughts on difficult challenges, plans for the future and more.

Also see:
Find out who went home from Chef Anne’s Red Team
Top Photo Moments of Episode 6
Video Highlights
First Look at the Finale

While the recruits are unquestionably familiar with taking requests from their team leaders, dishing out culinary demands to them was an all-new experience this week. In the Skill Drill, the competitors communicated with their mentors via headset, describing the basic appearance, taste and texture of a dish that Chefs Anne and Bobby had to recreate with only their team members’ descriptions. Just like last week, Chet and Alina on the Blue Team struggled to work productively and agreeably as a team, and their constant bickering proved to be a disappointing distraction to Chef Bobby, who was forced to sift through their arguing as he was cooking. Ultimately his team’s dish was less successful than the Red Team’s, as his charmoula was made without lemon zest and in a blender. Cooking for loved ones in the next day’s Main Dish Challenge, Chet and Alina tackled Southern-style chicken dishes to impress Chet’s mom and Marshall, the man Alina cares for, who both took part in the judging. Although Chet and Alina demonstrated their significant progress in the kitchen in this next-to-last episode, Chef Bobby could only select one to compete in the finale, and he ultimately said goodbye to Chet Pourciau.

What’s your proudest moment of Boot Camp?

CP: My proudest moment was when I won the burger challenge and named mine the “Who Dat” burger. I wanted to make sure that Louisiana was represented to my best ability. In New Orleans, we love our food and our sports. So the Who Dat nation loved it!

Chet PourciauHow have your cooking chops improved since returning home?

CP: I am a lot more comfortable in the kitchen. I’m not scared of knives anymore.

What’s the best meal you’ve cooked so far?

CP: The best meal I have made so far is chicken chasseur. We made it on the show. Every week I would cook the Main Dish Challenge for that week, and I have to say it’s a lot easier when you are not timed.

Are you still “Cheterizing” dishes, or do you now let the food speak for itself?

CP: I Cheterize everything!

Chef Bobby dubbed you and fellow Blue Team member Alina “The Bickersons.” Why was it so hard to work together?

CP: Well, I am the easiest person to get along with, but I will also not be bossed around. You have to earn respect to get respect!

Do you think the team aspect of the final Skill Drill contributed to your elimination?

CP: No, I don’t. The bickering was between both of us, so if that was the case we both should have been eliminated.

Bobby Flay and Chet PourciauYou were very overwhelmed at the reveal of your mom during the final challenge. Why was it so important for you to cook for her and for her to enjoy your food?

CP: Recently, my oldest brother passed away and that caused some family tension. So to see her, and to know that she had never flown in her life before that, was very emotional for me. I am an emotional person anyway. It was important to cook that meal for her because no matter what’s going on in your life, everyone wants his or her parents’ approval of what they are doing.

Tell us about the greatest memory you’ll take away from Boot Camp? Why was that challenge so special to you?

CP: It was when I realized I actually can do anything I put my mind to. I think the Chinese Take-Out Challenge was the “aha!” moment. I realized I was actually cooking and that was such a great feeling! Chef Bobby said, “Chet, now you’re cooking. It’s a whole new world!”

What do you think is the one thing at-home viewers don’t understand about Boot Camp?

CP: How intense it is.

How would you explain what the competition is really like?

CP: It’s a lot of hard work. It makes you want to achieve what you put your mind too. I will take away from this experience that I am stronger than I thought I was. It has made me a better person today.

Visit Food Network’s Worst Cooks in America headquarters for more insider coverage of the show.

Don’t Sabotage the End of Your Summer [Infographic]

...

1. Unknown says:

I'm disappointed that Chet wasn't going to the finale to represent Chef Bobby Flay,and cheterize the win for the blue team.But anyway he did an great job during the competition.But from the preview,he and those who had been eliminated will return to help.I cross my fingers that this year Blue Team wins!

2. blueteamrocks says:

I hope that blue team this year would win for once.From the preview,Carla is going to be there along with the other blue team that fallen helping Alina out with something I don't know what.I feel that this year the blue team should earn this glory.

3. mlp says:

I've been rooting for Chet all along and I hated to see him leave. At this point, I have little interest in any of the contestants but I would like to see Bobby win.

4. LZMOM says:

Alena is a seasoned ACTOR not a caretaker! Google her name. She's been on all kinds of reality tv.

• Ruth Ann says:

Can she not be both?

• MoHub says:

Agreed. Most actors have to work "real" jobs; only the minority make it big. And most of Alina's work —per IMDb—has been voice work for cheesy cartoons, so it's not work that would make one recognizable and send casting agents rushing to her door.

Worst Cooks is a good vehicle for her to make her face known. However, I still refuse to believe she came into the competition unable to cook. Her work on the show has been far too creative and polished for a true worst cook.

5. Kelly says:

It just goes to show that to succeed on this show you have to follow careful directions and work well with others on your team. May the best person win!

6. nmk9543 says:

What is it about this years' competition that the blue team recruits are more exciting to find out who goes home? I've been happy with Bobby's decisions and I hope he made the right decision in Alina.

7. beepbeep says:

I wanted Chet to represent Bobby, and I want Bobby to win. Alina is not agressive enough…..so I guess its going to be another year for Anne!

• blondeweezie says:

Me too. Alina is so phony & disingenuous. Ugh. I can't stand her. Chet should have won!

• MoHub says:

There may be issues with Alina, but not being aggressive enough is hardly one of them. If anything, she is pushy and overbearing.

• Susie says:

I agree with you.Chet should've been the one representing Bobby,not Alina.She doesn't seemed that determined enough of wanting to go to the final for her chance to win the prize.But I see that Chet is more determined.This could be another win for Anne this year *sigh*

8. Shannon says:

I was so sorry to see Chet go. He was my pick from the blue team. I don't care for Alina,a very phony unlikeable person. I don't believe for a moment that prior to being on this show that she could not cook. I am also taken aback by how rude and pushy she was towards Chet during the team challenge. She did not want to listen to a single point form Chet. She should have, he obviously has the better palate.At the end of the day, good for Chet, I am glad he learned some skills he can keep forever.

• bphanson2002 says:

Yikes! Really – I believe Chet and Alina both ignored what's her name, who knew what the ingredients were – from the week before. I thought they were pretty equal as to how rude they were to each other. They almost got the lemon zest and red pepper. I think it was Chet who mentioned red pepper. I do like Alina, even if she is an actress, and not just a regular person. My guess is that Chet may be some kind of actor as well. I'm sure some of these "actors" are using this as an opportunity to get exposure.

• Shannon says:

Yeppers, really. I just liked Chet more. You are most likely correct in that Chet may well be an actor too. I just did not like Alina. Since we know she was acting …maybe I just don't like her acting skills. I think she over-acted, she was obviously phony. You are also correct that Chet picked up on the crushed red, as well as the lemon flavor..tha'ts why I think he had the better palate.

9. Shannon says:

why deleted?

10. Unknown says:

I was very disappointed to see Chet go. I don't care who wins now!! Also, can you tell me why the Red team won the challenge when they forgot a major ingredient?????