Restaurant Revisited: Nanny Goat’s Cafe & Feed Bin

by in Shows, February 20th, 2013

Robert Irvine on Restaurant: ImpossibleIn one of his most dramatic missions to date, Robert Irvine arrived in Kilgore, Texas, to help Nancy Dupre, then owner of Nanny Goat’s Cafe & Feed Bin, transform her failing restaurant. But on day one of renovations she stormed out, vowing to end her Restaurant: Impossible experience before it even started. She became frustrated and simply overwhelmed when it was revealed that her daughter, Jessica, then cook at Nanny Goat’s, was the root of her business’s problems. Despite Nancy’s refusal, her mother, Sissy, and Jessica agreed that Robert and his team should continue their project, and the next day, a calmer, more composed Nancy returned to the site more committed to this mission than ever.

Although Robert and his team helped launch Nanny Goat’s into a new season of success with a crowd-pleasing menu and clean yet comfortable decor, Nancy decided to sell the restaurant for a profit, and has since entered retirement. Jessica no longer works at Nanny Goat’s Cafe, but much of the eatery’s other staff remains.

We checked in with Sharon Henley and Glenda Reid, the new owners of Nanny Goat’s, who took control of the restaurant in the new year, and they’re proud to say that their restaurant is “full of customers every day.” They’re pleased with its fresh, welcoming look and admit that they “work together like a well-oiled machine” with their employees.

Nanny Goat’s is currently not serving dinner, although they plan to start nighttime service at the end of February. Looking back on the past couple months, Sharon and Glenda say, “We are grateful for everyone’s support. We can’t succeed without them.”

More From Restaurant Revisited:

Sapori D’Italia (January 23)
Windseeker Restaurant (January 16)
Whiskey Creek Steakhouse (January 2)
Rising Sun Bistro (December 19)
Boys & Girls Club of Southwest Missouri (December 9)
Bronk’s Bar and Grill (December 5)
Rohrer’s Tavern (November 28)
Poco’s on the Boulevard (November 21)
Oleander Bar and Grill (October 17)
Valley Inn (October 10)
Whistle Stop (October 3)
The Maple Tree Cafe (September 26)
Michele’s (September 19)
Paliani’s Restaurant (September 12)
Frankie’s (September 5)
Gusanoz (August 29)

Alton Brown, the Master of Eviliciousness, Dishes on Halloween

When it comes to dishing out culinary evils, no one does it quite like the host of Cutthroat Kitchen, Alton Brown. Now in its fifth season, Cutthroat...

1. catman8 says:

So if Nancy sold if for say 75K then she made a small profit of 5K and the New Owners got a steal with the new decor, new menu and NEW Cook and new RI publicity. If I was looking for a restaraunt I would have been all over this, very shrewd move indeed.

2. guest says:

it is very sad to know that robert puts his heart and soul in to what he does for these people to turn around and sell it just to get out from under it . there are alot of people that need a break like these people got . robert irvine is a hero to me for what he and the food network does for people and for them to use this second chance at success as a way to bale there butts out of a hole they dug is just wrong.I think the food network needs to add a clause that says if u sell before a year is up you must pay back all moneys spent to fix your mess.

• Jacky says:

I totally agree about paying back in case of resell before year is up. It seems to me they planed from the start to take advantage of FN.

• Robert says:

You know what you 100% correct. The Money should be given back it they sell it before a year. It's not fair to Robert and his team how put all the hard work into it.

• Carol says:

I'm in complete agreement with you! Say it like it is!

• Ron says:

What? Everyone walked away a winner here. You have 2 new owners with a ton of free publicity, you have a show host who got a boost in popularity which will lead to higher value contracts and exposure for his restaurant’s, and surprise Nancy sold it for a tidy profit. Did you listen when she confessed “I love to start them, make them profitable, and sell them. The reason she had not done it to Nanny Goat’s is it was not profitable so she had to run it. It should not be a surprise she sold it, that’s what she said she does in the beginning of the show. She did it to 3 or 4 other establishments before Nanny’s. I don’t understand all the complaining. Don’t forget, Robert was one of the winners also. If Nanny’s was sold at a loss after Robert’s intervention, would you be saying poor Nancy, bad Robert? Grow up, it’s business.

• Natalie says:

Great idea – I totally agree!

• Bob Cunningham says:

Mr. Irvine acts like a blowhard jerk who thinks it is okay to talk to people anyway that he likes. I have watched only a few episodes and am nothing less than disgusted. People can accomplish the same things without being treated like crap, yelled at and insulted at every turn. He is copying John from another show who is just as big an ass. I would let my business fail before taking either one of their crap,

• Patrick says:

First, Robert was before John, and second, sometimes it takes getting in someone's face or being blunt and harsh for them to get the point that they are in the wrong. Being harsh and giving constructive criticism is not being a "blowhard jerk," it is getting the job done in the short amount of time that he has to change the owners and/ or employees. How about you watch an episode without the jaded glasses on and maybe you will see that you are the "blowhard jerk" for being overly critical?

• Pepe says:

I understand what you're saying. Don't worry about it though, RI and the whole staff are making a lot of money. But I do think they should send a secret customer to check out the restaurant first.

• PIK says:

Nancy Dupre is the definition of an ingrate!!!! Shame on her!!! They should have made here give back the $10,000 plus pay for renovation and labor.

3. Guest says:

I applaud Robert for sticking it out. It doesn't matter if they flipped the restaurant or not. Who's to say those were their intentions to begin with? He came and helped them, and he completed his challenge. That's why we love this show. If the restaurant was appealing to a buyer after RI, then it was a successful mission. Love this show!

4. Roy says:

I wish they would give updates at end of she like they used to do. Roy

5. Rachael says:

I have no idea as to most of what happened in this episode. This used to be one of my favorite shows but Robert has just become so mean to people that I only watch the reveal to see what the designer did. I saw the before pictures. Tanya has done some amazing transformations before, but I think this is the most amazing. She is so incredibly talented I wish they would just give her a show to go around and redesign restaurants. Hopefully there would be enough people who would like the premise that she wouldn't have to become a jerk to keep her ratings up.

6. Damien says:

He should of walked out on them clearly from start knew they wanted to flip and sell this place immediately if he got them going at all.

7. LBcentaur says:

Most of the restaurants Robert visits should be allowed to fail.

I only watch now to learn more about customer service and food preparation.

8. Sheila says:

Put the results at the end of the show like they used to. Not everyone has a computer and it is frustrating for the older people that do not use them. I am posting this for my mom who is a regular watcher on Wednesday nites.

• ritgar says:

Totally agree & also they don't have the info for the older shows on the website, so you have no way to see the later results or what the current comments would be.

9. dina says:

we went there and they had already took the tables down ,,,so disappointed we left