One-on-One With the Latest Blue Team Recruit to Go Home — Worst Cooks in America

by in Shows, February 24th, 2013

Team Bobby FlayFor the 14 recruits competing on Worst Cooks in America, it’s the opportunity of a lifetime to learn kitchen basics and culinary how-tos from Anne Burrell and Bobby Flay — two of New York City’s top restaurant chefs and some of Food Network’s most celebrated stars. It’s up to the contestants to use the tools the chefs provide to learn how to master certain skills on their own and demonstrate progress in the kitchen. Despite their best efforts, however, one recruit from Chef Anne’s Red Team and another from Chef Bobby’s Blue Team will ultimately succumb to the challenges of Boot Camp week after week as they compete for $25,000 and bragging rights for their coach.

Check back with FN Dish every Sunday after the episode for the first interviews with the latest eliminated contestants to read their exclusive reflections on the competition, thoughts on difficult challenges, plans for the future and more.

Also see:
Find out who went home from Chef Anne’s Red Team
Top Photo Moments of Episode 2
Video Highlights
Sneak Peek at Next Week’s Show

After an overwhelming first few days at Boot Camp, the contestants began their second week of the competition not in the kitchen but on a boat off the coast of New York City. The focus of week two would later be deemed knife skills, and fresh black sea bass reeled in by the recruits would prove to be the first of several ingredients for practicing proper cuts on. Back on the mainland, each competitor attempted to replicate his or her mentor’s seafood plate complete with a side salad, but some of their fillets, slices and dices left much to be desired, including those made by Chef Bobby’s Michael Paul, aka Big Mike. Despite his coach’s insistence that he slice avocados on a flat surface, Big Mike disobeyed and cut his hand, and his dish was ultimately named the most disappointing on the Blue Team. In the Main Dish Challenge, the recruits were forced to work with a main ingredient that’s a bit meatier: a whole chicken with its head and feet still attached. In an effort to reproduce Chef Bobby’s chicken chasseur, Big Mike delivered undercooked poultry that his mentor was forced to spit out. Carla, too, struggled with the challenge, and after failing to properly butcher her bird, she and Big Mike faced potential exits come elimination. In the end, however, Big Mike was asked to turn in his apron.

What are you most proud of during your time at Boot Camp?

MP: I was most proud of the fact that both chefs wanted me on their team and the fact that I cooked a perfect steak for Bobby Flay. Also, the friendships I made.

Michael PaulYou said several times in the competition that you’re a mama’s boy. How has this competition changed your relationship with your mom?

MP: My mother and I have a great relationship still, but now she is more willing to teach and let me cook in the kitchen.

In last week’s challenge, Bobby complimented you on a “perfectly cooked” steak. Have you tried out your newly acquired cooking chops at home yet?

MP: I have. I cooked my family some New York strips. It was wonderful.

What was the most valuable skill you learned from Chef Bobby?

MP: The most valuable skill I learned from Chef Bobby was how to properly hold a knife and how to curl your fingertips when cutting. Also, that you have to feel and taste, taste, taste while you are cooking to make sure that it is delicious.

Chef Bobby Flay and Michael PaulIf you had the opportunity to learn just one more piece of kitchen know-how before being eliminated, what would it be? Why?

MP: I would like to learn how to make a nice wing sauce. Because along with chicken Alfredo, chicken wings are one of my favorite dishes and I think it would be magnificent if I could make a unique wing sauce from scratch.

Visit Food Network’s Worst Cooks in America headquarters for more insider coverage of the show.

From Tampa to Key West: A Taste of Southern Florida — On the Road with the Great Food Truck Race

This past weekend, the finale of The Great Food Truck Race brought the remaining two teams to Florida. Tyler had the teams on a five-city tour of the ...

1. Beth says:

This is a P>S> to my above comment – not sure of his real name but on the blue
    team and the above photo – he is the top row dude on the left of the 3 dudes…..
    SCREEN YOUR CONTESTANTS……I am so disappointed…..

2. Stan says:

I looked at the casts for all the seasons of Master Chef and didn't see his name there. Are you sure?

3. guest says:

I love food network and always watch the worst cooks show each time it is on. I ended up turning it off last night because of Carla and her love fest with Bobbie Flay, this is not something I want to watch or have my family watch. Can they either tell her to stick to cooking which is why she is there.

• RuthAnn says:

The whole series has already been filmed months ago. So unfortunately they cannot tell her to stick to cooking.

• Jo1968 says:

I totally agree. She seems more interested in flirting with Bobby than trying to learn anything. She needs to either get with the program or leave.

• Robert Ostrowski says:

Jo1968 – I am all with you on the need for Carla to either get with the program or leave. Incidentally, Bobby is married, and he needs to get that truth across to Carla RIGHT NOW! Hopefully, he will have the guts to speak right up with her about that truth before it is too late, because I would think he cares enough to prevent public embarrassment!

4. Kate Lewis says:

Alex was not on Master Chef he was on Glass House

5. Kelly says:

I LOVE Carla!! Hang in there and focus, we DON"T want you to go home!!!!

• Sandra says:

CARLA IS AWFUL! God she is gives all black woman a bad name! What grade did drop out of school and get pregnant 7th?

• Tina says:

That is just uncalled for…there have been plenty of over the top people of ALL races on this show, and no one has to go so far as to insult them…Further, you don't even know her. Who the heck are you to judge anybody?…By the way…your grammatically incorrect slur is just stupid! You are the one who probably dropped out in the 7th grade…and why did you say she had to be pregnant? You don't even know her…You are the one who is giving all black women a bad name, through your lack of knowledge and education…we don't need or want you on our side so keep your comments to yourself!

6. worstccookfan says:

I love worst cook in america.But watching Carla's crush and flirting with Bobby,ISN'T appropriate for the show..Sometime she's focus on cooking but most of the time she's more focus on her little crush thing on Bobby..After that wake-up call when she was in the bottom have her more focus on learning than flirting with Bobby.

• Keith says:

I cant wait for her to leave she is really awful and over the top. i actually turned it off last episode. Producers need to stop showing her

• Robert Ostrowski says:

Hi, Keith – I am all with you on saying GOODBYE to Carla – she reminds me in one way of "Sexy in the Kitchen" Penny Davidi from a previous episode of the NFNS, and she had me FLOORED to death over that. Now as for Carla, i already know what her idea of a POV will be,and she may as well know right now that I'm not one of her fans – nor will I EVER be. The day she goes home will be the day I REJOICE! And may I say the same for AADIP from Chef Anne's Red Team!

• Marie524 says:

Right on, Bobby Flay is a married man! Hopefully she will begin respecting that next week. I can't imagine being a celebrity spouse & having to watch that for 10 weeks. Or however long this season will run.

7. MoHub says:

Spell check and grammar check are your friends. And less use of the Shift key is not a bad idea, either.

8. lili marleen says:

I watched two shows this season and Carla ruins the shows. Shame on her and shame on the two chefs for not controling this Carla person. Anne B can be very very rude on any show she connects with, but the woman can cook…about all she can do. I won't watch this production anymore…I said that last season but I succumbed and did give a look-see this season. Bye to Bobby F and au revoir to the blonde.

9. wow... says:

I thank God for fun and laughter…..I am sure Carla has morals… are you that are watching so uneducated that they are having fun while they learn…….Tina….that was well said… I am a comedian…and i flirt… play alot…i have watched…i enjoyed watching every show…it wasnt demeaning or too sexual..pure fun…this was a question about who should go and who should leave….well every one is learning…so maybe this is a lesson for Carla, that there are so many unhappy judgemental people in this world who cares about laughter…… and for that person that said she might have been prego in the 7th grade…I hate to tell you…but she has a masters degree…… in laughter…come yall grow up…have fun….

10. CYNTHIA says:

Nice hair Anne. KOO KOO!!!!