Chef Wanted: Mirabelle Update

by in Shows, February 7th, 2013

Chef WantedAt Mirabelle restaurant in Hollywood, owners George Germanides and Justine Giannini (George’s daughter) decided they needed help after a recent failed overhaul. They asked Anne Burrell and the Chef Wanted team to help them find a chef who could infuse new life into the aging establishment. Anne brought in four candidates, and after some grueling tests, an offer was extended to Drew Ison.

On the show, Chef Ison proved he understood what the owners wanted by creating flavorful dishes in the restaurant’s cooking style. Though he let time constraints get to him during dinner service, resulting in some dishes being sent back and worrying the owners that he wouldn’t pull through. In the end Chef Ison was offered the position because of his vision of fusing Mediterranean and California cuisines as the new concept for Mirabelle.

“Chef Ison is doing an amazing job. He truly understands Mirabelle’s customer base,” says George. Longtime customers continue to support the restaurant and there is also a steady rise in new customers because of Chef Ison’s menu changes.

FN Dish caught up with Chef Ison since the show taped. Watch the video above to find out what it was like doing the show, what winning meant and how his confidence has improved since becoming the new executive chef of Mirabelle. He also talks about how his life used to be filled with negativity and that his tattoos are a reflection of that, but this new opportunity has brought him a lot of positivity. Chef Ison is very excited about all that he can do for Mirabelle.

Bobbing for Ingredients — Alton’s After-Show

Cutthroat Kitchen host Alton Brown‘s sabotages can involve any number of evilicious plans, such as replacing a contestant’s prime ingredie...

1. Guest says:

I was not in love with the artwork all over Drew; however I wanted him to win to show there is always HOPE.. There were so many errors with the food I was sure he would lose…I actually started to cry when he won! He was the best fit for the Mirabelle. RE Anne, do people really think she could get the adrenaline up by whispering? I love her show with all the qurky, fun things she says.

2. 2lovefood says:

I loved the show, and think Anne does a great job. This is Entertainment folks! We don't see everything for a reason. Viewers need to believe that both chefs have a chance to win. Good job!

3. VAE says:

Racism will never go away as long as people continue to look for it.
    Some people just see two chefs competing, others see colors.
    What about Chef Anne? Hells Kitchen is a big hit and look how this "man" yells.
    It's why the show is popular. Everyone says he's not that way "in real life". Why
    do people watch then? What if that was Chef Anne on that show, shouting like that?
    Right away, she's a b**tch. My daughter is a chef and from what I've seen and heard, most
    kitchens have some yelling going on, especially when the ktichen isn't having a good night.
    The executive chef is in charge. It's their job to get people doing what they should.
    If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen comes to mind.
    I hate when people play the race card. How about my daughter going for student loans and the finance person of the school telling us if we were black or a minority, we could qualify for more loans?
    Part of life I guess. It's all set up for racism to never end!

• darrell says:

um! Ive never been told that while applying for student loans nor any other black or other minority I know, If you were a minority you wouldnt have to go looking for it cause it would eventually find you

4. Debra Ann says:

I loved the show, and think Anne does a great job!

5. Diane says:

Congratulations to the new Chef. I feel Chef Ann needs to do something with that hair of hers, like
    cover it, as well as her chest that is always exposed. She is always screaming and yelling, and the
    woman is very unprofessional, and watching that show, would be great, if she didn't make you feel
    so uncomfortable. There is another food netwook chef that always has her cleavage out also. Are
    these women cooking, or exposing their goods. It is a shame thst the network lets them dress like
    that.

• D987654321 says:

Well that had nothing at all to do with food. Maybe if all the female chefs wore burkhas you could assess their skills at, you know, COOKING, huh?

6. travis guilliams says:

take me** skating

7. joy says:

chef drew deserves the win. he was very personable. and he was the only reason I logged on because I wanted to find out what happened to the chef after. ann, you are the bomb. love you and I trust your opinion on food. great job.