You Won’t Catch Jeff Mauro Eating This Food

by in Food Network Chef, January 25th, 2013

Jeff MauroWe recently caught up with Jeff and asked him about the recent baskets featured on the second episode of Chopped Champions. Just like with Justin, Melissa and Sunny, everyone has ideas about what they would do if they were given the baskets themselves. But what if you were faced with an ingredient that you detested in one of the baskets? That’s what Jeff would have encountered in the dessert round when the basket consisted of Mitmita, Sauternes, cottage cheese and cream-filled snack cakes. So which ingredient keeps Jeff 10 feet away?

“Cottage cheese holds the number one place on my personal no-no list. I’ve never consumed it and never will. My brother Frank loves the stuff and he used to chase me around the house with a near-empty bowl of it. Just the sight of those few remaining curds in the bowl would send me screaming into the bathroom, where I would frantically lock myself in.”

So what would Jeff do if he were given this specific Chopped basket? “Needless to say, I would throw in the towel on this one!”

Now it’s your turn: What’s the one food you won’t touch? Do you share Jeff’s feelings about cottage cheese? Share your answer in the comment section below.

The Beginner’s Kitchen According to Marc Forgione

A famed Iron Chef with multiple New York City restaurants, Marc Forgione is certainly no rookie cook, but that doesn’t mean he can’t dole ...

1. person says:

CILANTRO. Nasty! Why do so many people like this abhorrent herb??

• Elle says:

Different people literally taste it differently. Half the population (such as myself) just taste fresh, almost citrus-y greens. The other half, from what I've been told, taste soap. I feel such pity for people with the soapy-version taste buds, because cilantro is a MUST condiment on any Bánh mì or taco. SOOO delicious!

2. julie says:

organ meat especially TRIPE

3. Laura says:

beets, can't stand the smell of them! I gag at the thought, I worked at a restaurant that pickled them, I couldn't be in the kitchen when they were cooking them! YUCK X's 100

4. Deb says:

Squid is so ugly, I can't believe anyone would put that in their body!

5. Mimi says:

anything organ or genital, even with a fancy name

6. quinoalover says:

sea cucumber, it's just so slimy and gelatinous, it's gross. I'm willing to look at it if I get paid enugh money but that wuld be it

7. florida girl forever says:

I am shocked that so many wonderful foods are named on here. I agree that I don't want to eat licorice.. eww! But almost everything else listed is either fantastic or at the least very edible.
    Seafood, liver, goat, lamb (really good), venison (all the time), Alfalfa sprouts, mushrooms…..yummy!
    I will at least try a bite of something new and then decide! My kids did too. If they really didn't like it they were not made to eat it. But they did have to re-try it every so often. Tastes do change over time.

8. ladydi1965 says:

Beets I just cant stand beets! oh yea no Wild Game of course (deer, possum, beaver ect}.

9. sohbet says:

onto a co-worker who has been doing a little research on this. And he actually bought me breakfast because I stumbled upon it for him…

10. well, i am catching him now.. but i want to see or catch him in person eating that food.