What’s in Your Ultimate Chopped Basket?

by in Shows, January 21st, 2013

Chopped BasketThree rounds, three different baskets and 12 out-of-this-world ingredients. Whether it’s Chopped Champions, All-Stars or regular-season episodes, that’s a lot of combinations to come up with.

So we’re asking this question: What would be included in your ultimate Chopped basket? Not something you’d want to receive, but something you’d give to a fellow competitor. Would there be two proteins? All sweets? Would you include one or two ingredients they’ve probably never heard of? It can be argued that the simplest ingredients like eggs, chicken, pasta and rice are sometimes the hardest.

Tell us what you’d choose in the comments below.

Three Slices of Pie Aren’t Necessarily Better Than One — Dante’s Journey on Holiday Baking Championship

Recap what happened on Episode 3 of Holiday Baking Championship and relive Dante's journey on the show in gifs....

1. Jeri says:

I would like to see vegetarian cooks compete with all vegetarian ingredients sometime.

2. Anna says:

Appetizer: humus, strawberry twizzlers, bacon, elk velvet

Entrée: fallow deer, pickled onions, chick peas, veggie-mite

Dessert: jäger meister, Greek yogurt, pretzels, kiwi

3. Ashlyn says:

I really enjoy the amateur episodes (ex. school cafeteria ladies, firefighters, etc). I think an episode with culinary students would be awesome, or with teens, or nutritionists/dietitians. A vegetarian episode would be great too. I also think that using more simple ingredients would really be best. Since they could make MANY dishes, it would really challenge the chefs minds into creating something interesting and different, because when you use odd ingredients, I find more chefs make similar things, making it not as interesting.

• Paul says:

I agree. Unfortunately, those episodes make me realize how petty and pretentious the people who actually consider themselves "chefs" behave. It is almost like they forgot why they began to cook in the first place.

4. Karen says:

Appetizer: Canned black eyed peas, baby kale, prawns, lemoncello liquer
    Dinner: Elk roast, pepper Jelly, White asparagus, instant potato flakes
    Dessert: avocado, chocolate nibs, crystalized ginger, tortillas

5. Anita says:

appetizer: canned baked beans, quail eggs, popcorn flavored jellybeans, oyster mushrooms
    main course: irn bru, artichokes, octopus, hot sauce
    dessert: corn chips, lime curd, dark chocolate, bean sprouts

• bear says:

appetizer: randeer tounge, asspargas, orange soda, creame cheese
      main course:calimari, rainbow chard, rice vinigar,lima beans
      dessert: scallups, steak, white choclate, pig tail,

6. Raina says:

I would be happy to see any of these ingredients in a basket.
    alligator, tasso, pickle meat, andouille, redfish, soft shell crab, mirliton, creole tomatoes, boudin….

7. sohbet says:

something new and then decide! My kids did too. If they really didn't like it they were not made to eat it. But they did have to re-try it every so often. Tastes do change over time.

8. Jordan says:

Appetizer: Cheetos, Fries, Spam, Watermelon
    Entrée: Jim Beam, Blood Oranges, Venison, Tortilla Wraps
    Dessert: Thai Coconuts, Nutella, Rice Noodles, Skittles

9. David says:

Not so much as a basket menu, but a great idea for a "leftover basket" challenge.

Have chefs use leftover ingredients that have been prepared incorrectly. For instance, blackened shrimp with too much sodium and cayenne. Or runny mashed potatoes. Or flat cupcakes. Get the idea?? I would like to say I never have these in my fridge after my beautiful wife and my 12 and 13 year old dine…but after a hectic day, you can not provide the perfect 5 star meal. Cheers!! david@rssco.com

10. A vegetarian episode would be great too. I also think that using more simple ingredients would really be best. Since they could make MANY dishes, it would really challenge the chefs minds into creating something interesting and different,