Salted vs. Unsalted Butter and Self-Rising Flours — Your Baking Questions Answered (Part 1)

by in How-to, January 15th, 2013

Baking 101Home bakers often ask, “Why can’t I use salted butter in a recipe that calls for unsalted butter, especially when salt is listed as a separate ingredient?” Right? I totally get the question. Why wouldn’t you just use salted butter and call it a day?

First, let me say that I never use salted butter. Not to bake with, on my toast in the morning or for any recipe that calls for butter.

Call me a control freak; however, the reason is that the salt added to salted butter varies depending on the brand you buy. All salted butters are not created equal. So why take your chances when baking? Just buy unsalted butter and start with a clean slate.

This leads me to the next most-asked question:

“Why can’t I use self-rising flour for all baking?” I totally comprehend this question too. It sure would eliminate buying a variety of flours, right?

Just as with salt in butter, you need to know exactly how much baking powder is in self-rising flour. I don’t understand why someone would trust that the flour manufacturer has your cupcakes in mind when they add leavening to the flour. Between you and me, the store-bought self-rising flour proportions are as follows: 1 cup of flour, 1 1/4 teaspoons of baking powder and 1/4 teaspoon of salt.

You see, salt is introduced when we least expect it. Honestly, I never knew salt was added. My motto for procuring ingredients is to always buy the freshest, best-quality products and then you will end up with a quality dish. This is not to say salted butter and self-rising flours are of not low quality; I just want you to be able to control the components of all the ingredients in your ingredients.

10-Minute Cake Decorating with Supermarket Staples

Decorating a cake can be super-easy and stress-free, so celebrate life’s special occasions, no matter how small, with a festive decorated cake. ...

1. Dano says:

I do have a baking question. Can I freeze Liege waffel dough?

2. Cindy says:

Where can I get my hands on a 3×1 finger shaped cookie cutter that Ina uses to cut out her shortbread cookies?

3. Robert Koch says:

Why does the volume of my bread decrease while baking even though the second rise was good?

4. Dawn says:

Explain my oven rack positions, please. In my gas oven, there are 5 levels. Plus a groove just above the bottom. It came with 3 racks. I often follow a baking or roasting recipe, open my door, and say, "Now, which level do I use?"

5. Debbie says:

Do you have a good recipe/combination for a Gluten-Free all purpose flour? I am especially interested for use in bread and pizza dough.
    Thank you.

6. Carol rogers says:

What am I doing wrong if my pound cake gets a good crust but separates from the cake?

7. sohbet says:

very blogs thanks admins

8. Taz says:

Actually, salt is added to "salted butter" to keep it more stable at room temperatures. Unsalted butter is usually of a higher quality and is more stable. For this alone, I'll use unsalted. Then there's the issue of the salted version adding unwanted salt from the point of view of the taste profile. Between those two, I never buy salted butter anymore.

9. sohbet says:

goood blog fine administrator

10. guest says:

can bisquick be a substitute for self rising flour?

• Jeri Marrone says:

How can I make white icing if I am using real butter? Is there such a thing as a clear butter product? I don't want to have to clarify butter. Or am I destined to have beige butter the rest of my baking life? Jeri Marrone