Meet Johnny Weir — Rachael vs. Guy: Celebrity Cook-Off

by in Shows, January 4th, 2013

Johnny Weir
Rachael vs. GuyFN Dish is counting down to the season 2 premiere of Rachael vs. Guy: Celebrity Cook-Off by introducing a new celebrity contestant every day. The competition tests the celebrities to see who has the culinary chops to win the title of champion and guarantees a $50,000 donation to the winner’s charity of choice. Watch the premiere on Sunday, January 6, at 9pm/8c and keep coming back to FN Dish for exclusive interviews and behind-the-scenes previews.

Figure skater Johnny Weir is a three-time U.S. National Champion, two-time Olympian and World medalist. But when he’s not on the ice, Johnny loves to entertain, often serving a unique combination of foods including veggie sticks, cheese, crackers, candy and wine. Get to know Johnny better from his Q&A with FN Dish.

The two words that best describe your cooking style are…
Johnny Weir: Clean and pretty

What’s your earliest food memory?
JW: I grew up in Lancaster County, Pa., and we have arguably the best produce in the world. I remember waking up to fresh tomatoes and pickles, lightly salted and peppered, every summer morning, compliments of my Papa.

What’s the best meal you ever ate?
JW: Full Russian table, eight courses, at the very exclusive Artists Club in Moscow: pickles, ice-cold vodka, black caviar on blini, filet mignon, salads of all colors, pelmeni, piroshki, chebureki — divine.

Going into Rachael vs. Guy, who did you think was going to be your biggest competition?
JW: Whatever I was cooking! Cooking and I haven’t always seen eye to eye. In human form, definitely Dean. He’s the Gourmet Dad.

Favorite pizza topping?
JW: Frisee and other baby greens

Who is your favorite food TV personality, past or present?
JW: Julia Child. The accent, the overzealous use of butter and the uncanny ability to make it all look effortless.

What food will we never catch you eating?
JW: Hungry-Man dinners.

What’s your signature party dish?
JW: Crudites, Brie and crackers, Haribo and See’s Candies. My parties usually center more around the wine than the food.

Sweet tooth, salt tooth or both?
JW: Sweet tooth, always. Bring on the sugar!

What kitchen tool can’t you live without?
JW: A whisk. It makes me feel fancy.

What’s the most surprising thing we’d find in your fridge?
JW: Skin cream

What music do you like to listen to in the kitchen?
JW: Classical or oldies. Cooking is oddly soothing at times and my Tchaikovsky and Motown help enhance my mood.

Johnny is playing for the Human Rights Campaign.

Meet the rest of the celebrities:
Chilli
Cornelia Guest
Gilbert Gottfried
Dean McDermott
Kathy Najimy
Hines Ward
Carnie Wilson

Restaurant Revisited — Military: Impossible at Green Beret Club

“This is very special,” Robert Irvine said not long after arriving at Fort Bragg, N.C., for a mission near and dear to his heart. A former...

1. Portia says:

As the mother of a son who is bisexual, I appreciate that Food Network is having a show that reflects the makeup of the country. Yes, gay people are real. Yes, they get married, have families, and kiss people of the same sex, even as a joke. That wasn't the first same sex kiss on a show that has nothing to do with kissing (Madonna and Britney). It is sad that people have to leave such ugly homophobic comments that young LGBT might see. To any LGBT person reading this, just know we don't all feel this way and homophobes are a shrinking minority.

2. gigi says:

Last season's show was a cut above and this seasons show promises to be a cut below the norm.
    There is competitive sprit that reflects good sportsmanship – I do not see that coming from Johnny Weir. I find him to be difficult and unpleasant to watch. I always felt that cooking brought out the best in people – he is like fingernails on a chaulk board… I am very choosy about who and what I let into my home through the TV. Too bad for Foodnetwork! I love the magazine but have real concerns about the direction of the shows.

3. Sickof Socialpolitic says:

Am totally disgusted that food network has interjected social politics into their shows. If your gay, that's your biz. I despise when your ram your open flamboyant homosexuality into my home. I have a 10 year old daughter who asked me what was wrong with weir and why he was acting like a girl….. We watch, well used to watch food network for its wholesomeness. It was the one station me and my daughter could watch without having to worry about the content. Well I guess no more, between weir and griffin, I'm done. Food network is off my fav list. Won't be watching your station anymore.

• adele says:

normally I babysit either my g-grandaughters and/or friends kids and watching FN cooking shows is part of our evening. If we can't watch, we tape and watch later……………Thank goodness I watched with friends before the girls came over and was able to edit that part out. Sad isn't it, that we have to edit parts of FN cooking shows!

• Tired of the Bashers says:

Dear Sick (oh, how that fits!)

Lock your daughter in the basement and keep her from the real world. You don't have to approve of someone else's lifestyle but leave the judging to God. I don' t remember reading your name in the bible as part of the judging committee. Your hateful spewing will leave more of an impression on your daughter than Johnny Weir.

This goes to the other haters commenting below.

• judi1962 says:

For your daugher's sake, I hope she doesn't turn out to be gay because I can tell by your comments you will not be understanding or loving towards her if she is.

• Jayne1944 says:

cant hide your daughter forever-good luck with that one.

4. George Patriarca says:

When you interject sexuality and/or politics into a cooking program, you run the huge risk of alienating alot of people. It is an obvious choice that foodnetwork had made and I think it is a foolish choice. In addition, adding Griffin, a piece of human waste, further throws aways the validity of your program. Guy and Rachel, you both lost. Food Network has lost. ALOT!

• judi1962 says:

How did they inject sexuality into the show?? Johnny's husband had less camera time than Dean's wife or are you offended that Johnny's charity is one that fights for the rights of the gay and lesbian community?

• AB2012 says:

I think calling another human being "a piece of human waste" is more offensive than two men kissing. I can't see how you don't. Food Network, there are plenty of people out there who do NOT have a problem with Johnny Weir. He's a talented, accomplished, kind human being– something these people might realize if they took a minute to get to know him. Bravo for your choice to be more diverse.

5. Dakota says:

I have worked REALLY hard to not have a flaming gay man with zero skills knock my accomplishments back to the dark ages. As a seriously acxomplished lesbian, he needs to take his flamboyant skill-free little self back to where it came from so the rest of us can continue to work, invest, own homes, and be generally upper class with manners.

• AB2012 says:

Skill free? Obviously you know nothing about him but are making assumptions based on appearances. I'd say that's pretty disrespectful of you.

• judi1962 says:

Zero skills? He is a two time Olympian, a three time national figure skating champion, a world figure skating bronze medalist, the only American skater to medal in every grand prix figure skating event and the only openly gay skater currently competing in the world.

• clov says:

YOU AR NOT BETER THAN ANY ONE

6. Laurie says:

God, he makes me gag. As a gay woman I am seriously embarrassed. WHAT was Food Network THINKING?? everyone in the gay community knows the HRC is full of poo. No one takes their nonsense seriously. Those of us with real jobs, real lives do not run around saying " ooh I'm a gay pilot, lesbian doctor, lesbian lawyer…" Hello it's 2012 gay is waaaay down the list sweet pea. This nonsense only plays in NYC, SF.

7. Rive says:

I found him disrespectful and highly offensive. You can be gay and not act like a walking stereotype about it. The gay community has it bad enough already when people automatically fall for said stereotype. His "twang" in his accent, his cutsie little mannerisms…it makes me sick. You want to be a role model for the gay community? Then STOP making it worse! There are plenty people out there just trying to live a life without drama and bigotry, fighting the stereotypes enforced by the media. And for God's sake, please stop wearing women's clothing as a comedic edge in a competition.
    I hang my head in secondhand embarrassment from this clown.

• judi1962 says:

Johnny does not wear women's clothing as a comedic edge, maybe women's clothes fit his 137 pound body better than men's clothing, maybe he likes that style better. Personally I'm more offended by men who walk around with their pants hanging low and their underwear hanging out than a man who buys his tops in the misses department.

8. Guest says:

PLEASE Post Johnny's recipe for WATER SALAD!!!!

9. judi1962 says:

What I think is amazing is all these comments about how this is a cooking show, yet all the criticism about Johnny centers around his sexuality and personality. If you're so concerned this is a cooking show, how about commenting on his cooking skills?

10. Hit says:

Celebrity Cookoff, as racy as "I Love Lucy." As reality shows go, it's fine. As for most of these comments, my elementary students have a better handle on personality conflicts, manners. Go Steelers!