Meet Johnny Weir — Rachael vs. Guy: Celebrity Cook-Off

by in Shows, January 4th, 2013

Johnny Weir
Rachael vs. GuyFN Dish is counting down to the season 2 premiere of Rachael vs. Guy: Celebrity Cook-Off by introducing a new celebrity contestant every day. The competition tests the celebrities to see who has the culinary chops to win the title of champion and guarantees a $50,000 donation to the winner’s charity of choice. Watch the premiere on Sunday, January 6, at 9pm/8c and keep coming back to FN Dish for exclusive interviews and behind-the-scenes previews.

Figure skater Johnny Weir is a three-time U.S. National Champion, two-time Olympian and World medalist. But when he’s not on the ice, Johnny loves to entertain, often serving a unique combination of foods including veggie sticks, cheese, crackers, candy and wine. Get to know Johnny better from his Q&A with FN Dish.

The two words that best describe your cooking style are…
Johnny Weir: Clean and pretty

What’s your earliest food memory?
JW: I grew up in Lancaster County, Pa., and we have arguably the best produce in the world. I remember waking up to fresh tomatoes and pickles, lightly salted and peppered, every summer morning, compliments of my Papa.

What’s the best meal you ever ate?
JW: Full Russian table, eight courses, at the very exclusive Artists Club in Moscow: pickles, ice-cold vodka, black caviar on blini, filet mignon, salads of all colors, pelmeni, piroshki, chebureki — divine.

Going into Rachael vs. Guy, who did you think was going to be your biggest competition?
JW: Whatever I was cooking! Cooking and I haven’t always seen eye to eye. In human form, definitely Dean. He’s the Gourmet Dad.

Favorite pizza topping?
JW: Frisee and other baby greens

Who is your favorite food TV personality, past or present?
JW: Julia Child. The accent, the overzealous use of butter and the uncanny ability to make it all look effortless.

What food will we never catch you eating?
JW: Hungry-Man dinners.

What’s your signature party dish?
JW: Crudites, Brie and crackers, Haribo and See’s Candies. My parties usually center more around the wine than the food.

Sweet tooth, salt tooth or both?
JW: Sweet tooth, always. Bring on the sugar!

What kitchen tool can’t you live without?
JW: A whisk. It makes me feel fancy.

What’s the most surprising thing we’d find in your fridge?
JW: Skin cream

What music do you like to listen to in the kitchen?
JW: Classical or oldies. Cooking is oddly soothing at times and my Tchaikovsky and Motown help enhance my mood.

Johnny is playing for the Human Rights Campaign.

Meet the rest of the celebrities:
Chilli
Cornelia Guest
Gilbert Gottfried
Dean McDermott
Kathy Najimy
Hines Ward
Carnie Wilson

Bobby Speaks Out: His Advice to Battle Rivals and His Culinary Weak Spots

Between Iron Chef America, Throwdown and the premiere season of Beat Bobby Flay, Bobby Flay has faced his share of culinary competitors. He’s no...

1. Thom Jackson says:

The two men kissing adds nothing to the program. I would have thrown up on my table. Some things don't need to be on a family program and Johnny Wierd is one of those things. If he makes it past next weeks judging my family will not be watching any more shows.

2. judi1962 says:

Really disappointed at all the hateful comments posted on this page. This is for charity, kudos to Johnny and all the other contestants for stepping out of their comfort zones to do this show.

• Epic Fail says:

It's a cooking show, not an infomercial to promote the LGBT lifestyle. There is no reason to know what the sexual preference of any of the contestants are. Unfortunately, LGBT'ers ALWAYS have to announce it either in words or by their actions, which was demonstrated last night. Get the hint…WE DON'T CARE AND DON'T WANT TO SEE IT.

• AB2012 says:

Oh, yes. The straight community is so oppressed. It's not like you see a man and a woman kiss anywhere. Oh, wait. You do.
        How are you so sure LGBT is a "lifestyle" and not something people are born with? This reminds me of the 60s, when people were up in arms because Harry Belafonte and Petula Clark held hands on TV for a few seconds. Backwards thinking then, backwards thinking now. There's no "agenda." It just is the way it is. Some people are gay, others are straight. Get used to it.
        BTW, watch the show again. Dean (who is straight) kissed Johnny, not the other way around.

• 2pumpkinsmom says:

Whether it's a choice or not, epic fail is right. this is a cooking show. I don't want to know what the contestants are up to in thier bedrooms – gay or straight!

• Adele says:

It has nothing to do with "stepping out of their comfort zone" , it has to do with the unnecessary interjection of a man dressed in womens undergarments and kissing a man on what is supposed to be a cooking contest for charity. I have nothing against gay people, there are two in my family and at least one in my husband's family. What I do have a problem with is having it shoved in my and my guest face when all we were looking for was a cooking contest.

• judi1962 says:

You do realize they were performing a skit and it was Dean, who kissed Johnny, not the other way around. Did you post the same comments on Dean's page? And I seem to remember the two women on Rachel's team kissing each other as well – did that offend you enough to comment negatively on their page??

• AB2012 says:

Oh, the old, "I have nothing against gay people– I know one" excuse. As long as gay people aren't "acting gay," you don't have a problem with it. Why, exactly, do you have a problem with two men kissing? What's wrong with that? And what's wrong with a man (or woman) wearing whatever they want? Who says which clothes should be for men and which for women, anyway? I cannot understand all the fuss.

3. StacyM says:

WOW! How can so many people be so hateful? Johnny is just trying to add some fun to the show! RELAX…and remember it Is the year 2013! :)

• zach_I_Am says:

How come everytime a straight person makes a comment saying somethign negative about gay/lesbian stuff being inappropriate or that they don't like it the gay supporters ALWAYS describe that as being hateful? I didn't hear anything hateful in anyones comments.

I for one don't like the gay theme rammed down my throat. I taped this show and I'm only into it 20 minutes and I've seen an interview with Johnny and his 'Husband', two guys kissing and two girls kissing. I don't remember seeing any other celebrity's spouses, only the gay guy.

This is a cooking show and gay or straight they should focus on cooking, not promoting the gay agenda.

• marilyn willett says:

I am not pro gay as i even told Johnny on his facebook -however this is about cooking, everybody cooks, as he said ''i park my car i don't gay park it'' I could watch him skate all day but if he wasnt a nice, sweet, kind hearted and patient man i wouldn't bother to watch him in anything.
        so i focus on who he is and not what he is. i would rather there be no kissing, just the cooking and in fact i wish he would tell us what he really eats at home so i could try it and hopefully lose.

• judi1962 says:

I guess your eyes must had been closed when they introduced Dean and showed all the clips of his wife Tori Spelling.

The two guys kissing were during a skit and you couldn't even see their faces and what interview with Johnny's husband? He was sitting on a couch with the dog and then showed sipping soup.

• AB2012 says:

People see it as hatred because there's not a "gay theme" or "gay agenda." Gay people are born gay. So when you object to being gay, you are objecting to who they are. It's like objecting to a minority. It's offensive. Johnny has a husband. He's married. He was asked to show his life at home, so he introduced his husband, whom he married legally in New York, just as Dean introduced his wife. That's Johnny's family. He's not trying to force anything on you; he's just saying "this is who I am."
        The kiss between two guys, well, Dean kissed Johnny, not the other way around. If that bothered you, you must be awfully sheltered.

• zach_I_Am says:

I'm not saying people are not born gay. I'm not even objecting to the fact they are gay. I have some friends who are gay. Gay people should not be discriminated against or harassed, but that goes for everybody in American, regardless of race, sexual orientation or gender.

It surprised me you said ther is not a gay agenda because that is what bothers me and the point I am trying to make. If gay people just want to be just accepted I am good to go. If you don't know that's out there then you must be awfully sheltered.

• zach_I_Am says:

I beleive the majority of gay people want that too. It's the radical ones that are trying to change our society instead of just melding in. Like the states that FORCE public schools to have gay couples in the reading stories for kindergartners or Perez Hilton screaming at Miss California because she said in her opinion about marriage. THAT was hate. You know what would happen if a straight person had yelled at a gay person for their right to say they believe in gay marriage? And the argument that it's 2013 has no relevance to proving or disproving the point.

So my overall point – Gay people no problem. Gay people living together, no problem. But 7% (according to the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force) of the population should not be the tail waging the dog as far as society and laws go.

• AB2012 says:

How is Johnny on the show "promoting" his sexuality any more than straight people "promote" theirs?

• Get aclue says:

Are you blind? Or just ignorant?

• LeGuest says:

Notice how the haters never have an answer.

4. judi1962 says:

By the way, i think it's great that Johnny chose to make a low fat dish, hopefully he'll make some adjustments to add more flavoring to the meatballs so they can remain low fat, healthy and delicious.

5. cybercitizen says:

Bet that Johnny would be a great chef for a diet show. He cooks very healthy and keeps in top flight form for an Olympic athlete. Figure skaters have to eat like birds to be able to do jump quads toe loops and triple axels.

6. Tommie says:

I could care less if he's gay or straight – he was a complete JERK to Bethenny during Skating with the Stars. I hope he goes home soon!

• judi1962 says:

Seriously, Bethenny signs up for a skating show with no knowledge of how to skate and then when given constructive criticism on how to improve her skating, not only ignores it but trash talks figure skating backstage. Bethenny only went on Skating With the Stars to promote herself, Johnny is on Celebrity Cook Off to raise money for charity.

• 2ndbestfriend says:

Give it a rest. Everyone knows how Mr. Weir & all judges were advised / directed to behave. Bethenny's behavior was crude & disrespectful. None of this has any bearing whatsoever on "Celebrity Cookoff."

7. AB2012 says:

I absolutely love Johnny. He's fun, funny, and sweet. And he's a heck of a figure skater– he moves beautifully on the ice. He has had to deal with a lot of hatred and homophobia over the years and has always handled it beautifully. I'm so pleased that he's found a wonderful husband and has a happy life with family and friends, performing in ice shows and entertaining so many people. He has said "I'm not a great cook." I respect anyone who has the guts to go on a show where they are out of their comfort zone.

8. Ethel Barrett says:

Do not like the little screamer guy, couldn't abide the filthy mouthed Cathy Griffen, will absolutely not watch little Johnny , kiss a guy! Will not watch Rachael or Guy anymore on anything!

9. Mertis says:

I actually thought this was going to be a better show than what it is….the Weir guy is gross; while others think it is was funny with the kissing, I thought it was totally unnecessary. Come on FN…you can do better! Dean or Hines will win IF this truly is a serious competition…if it is just for ratings, Weir will win and Rachael and Guy will both have lost…..sad sad sad

10. cherrycooks says:

Some who are posting here must be the same folks who complained about Kathy Griffin who co-hosted the NYE show on CNN with Anderson Cooper. It's no secret that both are gay, so if people didn't want to see them, they should have turned the channel and watched something that they deemed more "appropriate". My DH and I enjoyed the show, and we think that Kathy Griffin is one very funny lady. We'll tune in to CCO the night that she's on but probably won't watch otherwise.

• 2pumpkinsmom says:

I am in total agreement! I could care less what he does in his off air time. No homophobia here and no hatefulness ether. It's just that I have two young sons 11 and 6 who ask the same questions. I don't understand why a cooking show should necessaruly constitute my having an age inappropriate discussion with my children, If you are gay, fine, be gay. Why slap everyone across the face with it? One more show that I can't watch with my kids. It's sad really.

• 2pumpkimsmom says:

I didn't mean for that previous post to be attached to your post, sorry.
      Butactually since I The difference between Anderson Cooper and Kathy Griffin and Johnny Weir is that I don't have to have a conversation with my young children about someone elses sexual orientation when watching a show with Cooper or Griffin.