An Interview With the Latest Rachael vs. Guy Celebrity Castoff

by in Shows, January 6th, 2013

Kathy and Gilbert
Rachael vs. GuyEvery Sunday night, FN Dish gives you the exclusive exit interview with the latest castoff from Rachael vs. Guy: Celebrity Cook-Off, the competition show that features celebrities cooking their way through challenges for a chance to win the title of Cook-Off Champion and $50,000 for their chosen charity. This season will have the celebrities facing real-life situations — far from the glamour of the red carpet — and will test more than just their cooking skills.

On tonight’s premiere, the eight celebrities walked in on the red carpet and stepped directly into the competition. The challenge for the first episode combined cooking and entertaining, but not as you might initially think. The celebrity that was sent home unfortunately only excelled at one task and not the other.

After they met with the stars, Rachael and Guy assembled their teams and immediately began the competition. For the first challenge, the celebs had to cook a tasting menu for hundreds of theater guests. But that wasn’t it; they also had to perform a three-minute skit during dinner. Ultimately, the theater portion of the challenge went off without a hitch for both teams, but the dinner portion wasn’t as successful for some.

Also see:
Red Carpet Premiere (Photos)
Episode 1 Recap (Video)
Watch the Full Episode (Video)
Episode 1 Highlights (Photos)

The dinner-theater guests voted Team Rachael as the losing team with Kathy’s and Gilbert’s dishes as the least favorite. For the elimination challenge, Rachael and Guy asked the bottom two celebs to prepare a midnight snack. Kathy made her mom’s hummus recipe and Gilbert decided to reinterpret the same dish that contributed to his team’s losing the dinner-theater challenge: a peanut butter sandwich. Even though Rachael called Gilbert’s dish a perfect midnight snack, she and Guy chose to send him home. Seven celebrities remain to compete next week. Watch Gilbert’s exit interview below.

Do you have any regrets about the competition?
Gilbert Gottfried: I really wish I could have won the $50,000 for my charity, The Gift of Laughter: The Friar Foundation Wounded Warriors Program.

Did you learn anything from this competition and are you going to cook again?
GG: I don’t know if I just learned it, but I’ve learned from this competition just how much more I need to learn about cooking. I’m not sure if I’ll ever have the courage to cook again, but I’m walking away from the competition with a new appreciation for what goes into making a good meal.

What do you take away from this competition?
GG: I’m happy that I was able to take part in the competition, raise awareness for my charity and work with Rachael and with Guy, because even though I was on Rachael’s team, Guy was helping out too. At the end of the day I’m still totally lost, but I’d like to think it was a good experience.

Do you think Gilbert deserved to go home? Leave a comment.

Donate to Gilbert’s charity, The Gift of Laughter: The Friars Foundation Wounded Warriors Program.

Keep coming back to FN Dish for exclusive interviews and behind-the-scenes previews.

What to Watch: Let Food Network Magazine Take You On a Cross-Country Culinary Tour

Join Bobby Flay and Food Network Magazine on a cross-country culinary expedition to find the most-delicious dishes in the country....

1. Trish says:

When I first saw this show advertised, I thought, 'Oh great, another competition show.' I want to see some REAL cooking shows with some REAL cooks! And Gilbert? Poor guy, I was so embarrassed for him! And a look on Rachael's face was priceless, when she saw him "cook!" Did he actually think he could ever win? Let's just cut to the end show, and move on. This is a loser show, if I ever saw one!!

2. Michi says:

I really like this show, it's enjoyable to watch. Although, the only people I know of are Gilbert and Johnny. I don't know who everybody else was. My mom did though. :P I hope it keeps airing, despite the hate it's getting.

3. evspeakers says:

Shame on the Food Network and Rachel Ray for having Gilbert Godfried on the show at all. I'm sure there are other celebrities that support the same charity that would not have been so offensive (Aflack didn't fire him for nothing) and who have more talent and ability. I agree with other commenters that Food Network is getting desperate. Why don't you just have cooking shows the way you did when you first started out. I'm more interested in watching a talented cook COOK! With all the restaurants, diners, food trucks, BBQ joints, etc. in this country, you have an endless supply of talent to draw from. Why don't you use it!

• Guest from Texas says:

I agree with you! Altho I like Gilbert Godried for what he actually does (comedy) When watching the food channel, I want to see someone who can actually cook.

• salkev says:

I totally agree with you.. Did they even interview Gilbert before he came on the show. ???
      I was embarressed for him.

• Annie says:

I thought it was funny to see gilbert make peanut butter and jelly on the show. it is a competitive arena and here the comedian on the show makes peanutbutter and jelly for competition. My point is the irony in the fact that the show is all about creating an exquisite meal to compete while he instead goes simple; straight to the crowd pleaser, PB and J! lets take a step back and view this with a larger perspective than just the tunnel vision of a sitcom-crazed maniac. Lets go back to basics. This challege was to make a midnight snack. I would "love" to wake up at midnight, hungry as a nightmare, to painstakingly prepare a "perfect creation". ITS A MIDNIGHT SNACK FOR PETE SAKES! I think Gilbert's idea of a midnight snack was SPOT ON. Whats better than a peanut-butter banana sandwitch garnished with a strawberry on top! COME ON PEOPLE! from my personal experience, the peanut butter and banana idea as a midnight snack is the most realistic example i have ever seen!

• EmJayEss says:

I could not agree with your comments more! The guy/gal responsible for Godfried's selection for the show should be fired or placed into a department WAY behind the scenes.

4. jems says:

I felt sorry for Gilbert, I thought he can cook. What were you thinking putting Johnny Weir on, and the kissing skit, inaproppriate.

5. SRP says:

I have been an avid viewer of the Foodnetwork since it's inception. But, I must agree with the majority of the comments listed. Foodnetwork has definitely changed their format and not for the better. I enjoy cooking competitions but to put someone who can definitely not cook on the show was an insult to your dedicated viewers. I also disagree with the stunts that contestants have to endure. Foodnetwork has shown in the past that cooking competitions can be enjoyable as well as compelling. However, the twist of having contestants perform stunts is unncessary. Even the stunts shown on Next Iron Chef are ridiculous. When will accomplished chefs or amateur chefs have to cook in an airplane kitchen, or on a beach with no utensils and so forth. It's a shame when good programming is replaced with silly theatrics because you underestimate the intelligence of your audience. Keep it up and you will lose your audience. Foodnetwork became a viable contender to network television because of quality chefs and quality production. It's a shame that is no longer your goal.

6. sohbet says:

They have the same creamy texture & the banana is not too sweet. Add some peanut butter & maybe crumbled bacon like one blogger sugests & you could have Elvis oats! I'm kiding but oatmeal is a food you can be very..