An Interview With the Latest Rachael vs. Guy Celebrity Castoff

by in Shows, January 6th, 2013

Kathy and Gilbert
Rachael vs. GuyEvery Sunday night, FN Dish gives you the exclusive exit interview with the latest castoff from Rachael vs. Guy: Celebrity Cook-Off, the competition show that features celebrities cooking their way through challenges for a chance to win the title of Cook-Off Champion and $50,000 for their chosen charity. This season will have the celebrities facing real-life situations — far from the glamour of the red carpet — and will test more than just their cooking skills.

On tonight’s premiere, the eight celebrities walked in on the red carpet and stepped directly into the competition. The challenge for the first episode combined cooking and entertaining, but not as you might initially think. The celebrity that was sent home unfortunately only excelled at one task and not the other.

After they met with the stars, Rachael and Guy assembled their teams and immediately began the competition. For the first challenge, the celebs had to cook a tasting menu for hundreds of theater guests. But that wasn’t it; they also had to perform a three-minute skit during dinner. Ultimately, the theater portion of the challenge went off without a hitch for both teams, but the dinner portion wasn’t as successful for some.

Also see:
Red Carpet Premiere (Photos)
Episode 1 Recap (Video)
Watch the Full Episode (Video)
Episode 1 Highlights (Photos)

The dinner-theater guests voted Team Rachael as the losing team with Kathy’s and Gilbert’s dishes as the least favorite. For the elimination challenge, Rachael and Guy asked the bottom two celebs to prepare a midnight snack. Kathy made her mom’s hummus recipe and Gilbert decided to reinterpret the same dish that contributed to his team’s losing the dinner-theater challenge: a peanut butter sandwich. Even though Rachael called Gilbert’s dish a perfect midnight snack, she and Guy chose to send him home. Seven celebrities remain to compete next week. Watch Gilbert’s exit interview below.

Do you have any regrets about the competition?
Gilbert Gottfried: I really wish I could have won the $50,000 for my charity, The Gift of Laughter: The Friar Foundation Wounded Warriors Program.

Did you learn anything from this competition and are you going to cook again?
GG: I don’t know if I just learned it, but I’ve learned from this competition just how much more I need to learn about cooking. I’m not sure if I’ll ever have the courage to cook again, but I’m walking away from the competition with a new appreciation for what goes into making a good meal.

What do you take away from this competition?
GG: I’m happy that I was able to take part in the competition, raise awareness for my charity and work with Rachael and with Guy, because even though I was on Rachael’s team, Guy was helping out too. At the end of the day I’m still totally lost, but I’d like to think it was a good experience.

Do you think Gilbert deserved to go home? Leave a comment.

Donate to Gilbert’s charity, The Gift of Laughter: The Friars Foundation Wounded Warriors Program.

Keep coming back to FN Dish for exclusive interviews and behind-the-scenes previews.

Flavortown Market Is Back and It’s Bigger Than Ever — Guy Dishes on Season 2

Guy’s bringing Flavortown Market back in an all-new season of Guy’s Grocery Games, premiering May 11 at 8|7c. Fans of the show will be exc...

1. Max says:

I also thought Gilbert Gottfried was going to get kicked off after suggesting a PB&J sandwich. It seemed like everyone else had some experience with cooking, but it’s never a good sign when your marquee entrée is something so easy. One of my DISH coworkers pointed out that he was the only one who didn’t have a video showing off his cooking skills, which should’ve been another sign that he wasn’t going to last too long. I missed Sunday’s premiere, but saw it this morning since I recorded it on my DISH Hopper. My DVR holds up to 2,000 hours of entertainment so I can record and watch Celebrity Cook-Off when I want.

2. Marsha says:

I am disappointed that FN couldn't come up with better than $50,000 for the charity donation. That doesn't seem like very much to me. jmo

3. PhoenixFromTheAshes says:

Oh my goodness, this person has hit the nail on the head. I am not Max Sylvestri, nor do I work in media, but I am a new fan! http://www.grantland.com/blog/hollywood-prospectu

4. Christine says:

I can 't even begin to guess why Gilbert was on the show. What a poor decision, Food Network! If you can't find enough celebrities that can actually cook, you should just cancel the show. Shame on Rachael and Guy for allowing theirr names to be associated with such a farce.

5. downnotout says:

Guy and Rachael need to lead out a live goat and tether it to a tree, and then have a native American come out and stab that goat with a sharp stick, hang it up under a tree and jab the jugular to let it bleed out all while the celebrities watch.

Then pass out knives to the "celebrity" contestants so they can hack off the various parts of the animal for their dishes.

Reality meets entertainment!

6. Melissa says:

I think we need an apology from Food Network for wasting our time with the first episode. What was their point in putting someone on there that could not cook and was definitely going to be the one who was eliminated. They made us sit through painful performances and then listen to Rachel and Guy try to act like it was great entertainment.
    If they apologize, then maybe everyone will tune in for the next episode. If not, I'm gone. No more Celebrity Cook-offs, no more NIC, no more Next Food Network star, no more Worst Cooks! Too much heavy handed agendas but the big-wigs. They are forgetting why people tune in.

7. Kristin says:

I also have to wonder what Gilbert was doing on this show at all. The preview showed him supposedly bragging about his roasted chicken. Obviously a total lie. Part of the fun of these shows is to find out that a celebrity has a hiddent talent – we think of these folks as having personal chefs to cook for them, but to find out that they are as passionate about home cooking as we are is fun. I am watching because I am a fan of Dean McDermott, who is an actor in addition to having a reality show (FYI), but also went to culinary school. I think that showed immediately and he is the odds-on favorite to win, IMHO. I will be tuing in again for sure, but guys – don't pull this Gilbert crap on us again. (Oh, and I agree that having people who will not cook with meat is a bad idea.)

8. Dishing Out says:

I still cannot fathom why Gilbert Got-fried was a contestant in this show. Look, I understand he's a cool comedian and he's trying to raise money and awareness for his charity but come on, Food Network, please have a better line up next time.

Gilbert could have had a comedy tour or something similar to help his charity. If he doesn't know how to cook, he should not have been a contestant on the show. I mean he was just shocked and utterly clueless during their brainstorming with Rachel. It was painful to watch.

9. nkerche says:

First, endless reruns of DIners, Driveins, and DIves, now a very loser cast of Rachel and Guy–I really don't care who, if anyone wins. Bye-bye!!!

10. Marc says:

This season opener was a shocker to me. Where did FN find some of those "celebrities"? The unemployment line? Another thing that got me was the fact that Wilson was not the first pick by either Rachel or Guy…I mean…come on…any smart "chef" knows you pick the chubby one first… I really liked season 1 with Coolo and Lou D Phillips. They can flat out put some chow on the table. This season, I feel, will be the big bomb. As for Gilbert Godfrey, I will admit that I laughed my ass off at his 1st choice of PBJ sandwiches…not to mention his cook off with Peanut Butter and Banana sandwiches…THAT, to me, was funny. I'll give this season one more chance this Sunday night mainly because of the Wilson chic…

• Pete says:

I just want to say that I can find nothing on this site that tells me who "the celebs" are. I have gleaned that Gilbert Godfrey was one of them, but just by the pictures, I don't recognize them. I am writing this here because I enjoyed season 1 with LDP and Coolio and was hoping to like this season. I guess not. I'm truly not a fan of either Rachel or Guy, but that has nothing to do with whether they have 'real' celebs on the show that is billed as Celebrity Cookoff, or just a bunch of "D" celebs like you would find on Tru-TV's World's Dumbest.