An Interview With the Latest Rachael vs. Guy Celebrity Castoff

by in Shows, January 6th, 2013

Kathy and Gilbert
Rachael vs. GuyEvery Sunday night, FN Dish gives you the exclusive exit interview with the latest castoff from Rachael vs. Guy: Celebrity Cook-Off, the competition show that features celebrities cooking their way through challenges for a chance to win the title of Cook-Off Champion and $50,000 for their chosen charity. This season will have the celebrities facing real-life situations — far from the glamour of the red carpet — and will test more than just their cooking skills.

On tonight’s premiere, the eight celebrities walked in on the red carpet and stepped directly into the competition. The challenge for the first episode combined cooking and entertaining, but not as you might initially think. The celebrity that was sent home unfortunately only excelled at one task and not the other.

After they met with the stars, Rachael and Guy assembled their teams and immediately began the competition. For the first challenge, the celebs had to cook a tasting menu for hundreds of theater guests. But that wasn’t it; they also had to perform a three-minute skit during dinner. Ultimately, the theater portion of the challenge went off without a hitch for both teams, but the dinner portion wasn’t as successful for some.

Also see:
Red Carpet Premiere (Photos)
Episode 1 Recap (Video)
Watch the Full Episode (Video)
Episode 1 Highlights (Photos)

The dinner-theater guests voted Team Rachael as the losing team with Kathy’s and Gilbert’s dishes as the least favorite. For the elimination challenge, Rachael and Guy asked the bottom two celebs to prepare a midnight snack. Kathy made her mom’s hummus recipe and Gilbert decided to reinterpret the same dish that contributed to his team’s losing the dinner-theater challenge: a peanut butter sandwich. Even though Rachael called Gilbert’s dish a perfect midnight snack, she and Guy chose to send him home. Seven celebrities remain to compete next week. Watch Gilbert’s exit interview below.

Do you have any regrets about the competition?
Gilbert Gottfried: I really wish I could have won the $50,000 for my charity, The Gift of Laughter: The Friar Foundation Wounded Warriors Program.

Did you learn anything from this competition and are you going to cook again?
GG: I don’t know if I just learned it, but I’ve learned from this competition just how much more I need to learn about cooking. I’m not sure if I’ll ever have the courage to cook again, but I’m walking away from the competition with a new appreciation for what goes into making a good meal.

What do you take away from this competition?
GG: I’m happy that I was able to take part in the competition, raise awareness for my charity and work with Rachael and with Guy, because even though I was on Rachael’s team, Guy was helping out too. At the end of the day I’m still totally lost, but I’d like to think it was a good experience.

Do you think Gilbert deserved to go home? Leave a comment.

Donate to Gilbert’s charity, The Gift of Laughter: The Friars Foundation Wounded Warriors Program.

Keep coming back to FN Dish for exclusive interviews and behind-the-scenes previews.

Vote on Your Least-Favorite Foods as a Kid — Rachael vs. Guy: Kids Cook-Off

On this past Sunday’s episode of Rachael vs. Guy: Kids Cook-Off, the kids faced one of their toughest challenges yet, cooking their least-liked ...

1. Carl says:

The first show is the most important of any series.

Casting Gottfired just ruined the ratings moving forward.

2. GMan says:

FN ruined this show by showing clips of future shows and the contestants particating. You could tell right away who was going away early in this series.

HUGE BLUNDER!

3. guest says:

What were you thinking? I watch a lot of food network, including all of the first season of Rachael and Guy's celebrity cookoff. I watch to see people cook and maybe learn something from them about what to do (or what not to do) when cooking. Why was that comedian one of the contestants on your show? He clearly had no interest in cooking; there weren't other D-list celebs who actually can cook? You wasted my time and it is very annoying. And why did you focus as much on the juvenile "skit" as you did on the food? If these celebs were worth spending so much air time on a "skit", they wouldn't be available for this show. And the food focus was on PB&J? Really? Really? You couldn't do better than that? Very disappointing. I hope this isn't a harbinger of things to come, on this show and on food network. I won't watch if this is some new network initiative rather than just bad judgment on one episode.

It's about the food. Don't forget that. We viewers watch because we're interested in food and cooking. That's the draw.

4. Melissa says:

Hey Food Network…this is a celebrity "COOK-OFF" NOT "LAUGH-OFF"!
    You wasted our time. I'm not sure I'll watch the next episodes. Don't really care now that you let a moron pick the contestants.

5. Missy0234 says:

This is what I see. Rachel Ray doesn't coach – she ORDERS. Last season she TOLD Lou what she wanted him to do, and she is doing it again. Lets face it, all she knows how to do is burgers, and soup – not a chef by ANY means. I use to like her, but once I really started watching her cook my opinion changed. Last thing I made that she SWORE was the BEST meal in the world was her vodka sauce. Basically a pure WASTE of vodka. No respect for her AT ALL.

6. foodspiritgirl says:

Come on now Food Network! Did no one interview Gilbert Gottfried to find out if he could actually cook? Very insulting to me, the viewer who actually enjoys watching people passionate about food – celebrity or not. I don't. tune in to see a d-list comedian "cook" peanut butter & jelly sandwiches. I don't mind people being silly & doing fun things as long as the passion for cooking is there – WHY, Food Network? I really want to know!

7. Ron says:

Horrible show. I won't waste anymore time watching this one. Two thumbs down, Food Network!

Your viewers deserve better!

Based on what I'm reading here, you would do better to cut your losses and drop this show…maybe replace it with few reruns of "Diner, Drive-Ins and Dives".

8. 2ndbestfriend says:

Dear self-centered, short-sighted, self-righteous & exceedingly negative viewers, this show is widely appreciated well-produced, highly rated & refreshingly creative.

9. 2ndbestfriend says:

And isn't it delicious that the contestant with the most cullinary experience was the most bumbling klutz?

10. Stacy says:

This season is off to a rocky start. I was more shocked than anything at the 'theater' part of the challenge. I thought this was about cooking. I knew Gilbert was going home the minute he suggested a PB&J. I love PB&J but for a cooking challenge? No. A midnight snack? Absolutely. But since PB&J seemed to be the only thing Gilbert could do, it was best to eliminate him then. We must remember that these people aren't professional chefs. They are just trying their hardest to win $50,000 for their charity. I think that's great. But, please, let's keep it clean. I don't care that Johnny is gay but we don't need to see him making out with Dean. I just want to see cooking going on. Last year was a more professional year. Lou was awesome. The others also kept it professional. Let's keep it that way. We already have enough crappy reality t.v. Don't let FN stoop to that level.