An Interview With the Latest Rachael vs. Guy Celebrity Castoff

by in Shows, January 6th, 2013

Kathy and Gilbert
Rachael vs. GuyEvery Sunday night, FN Dish gives you the exclusive exit interview with the latest castoff from Rachael vs. Guy: Celebrity Cook-Off, the competition show that features celebrities cooking their way through challenges for a chance to win the title of Cook-Off Champion and $50,000 for their chosen charity. This season will have the celebrities facing real-life situations — far from the glamour of the red carpet — and will test more than just their cooking skills.

On tonight’s premiere, the eight celebrities walked in on the red carpet and stepped directly into the competition. The challenge for the first episode combined cooking and entertaining, but not as you might initially think. The celebrity that was sent home unfortunately only excelled at one task and not the other.

After they met with the stars, Rachael and Guy assembled their teams and immediately began the competition. For the first challenge, the celebs had to cook a tasting menu for hundreds of theater guests. But that wasn’t it; they also had to perform a three-minute skit during dinner. Ultimately, the theater portion of the challenge went off without a hitch for both teams, but the dinner portion wasn’t as successful for some.

Also see:
Red Carpet Premiere (Photos)
Episode 1 Recap (Video)
Watch the Full Episode (Video)
Episode 1 Highlights (Photos)

The dinner-theater guests voted Team Rachael as the losing team with Kathy’s and Gilbert’s dishes as the least favorite. For the elimination challenge, Rachael and Guy asked the bottom two celebs to prepare a midnight snack. Kathy made her mom’s hummus recipe and Gilbert decided to reinterpret the same dish that contributed to his team’s losing the dinner-theater challenge: a peanut butter sandwich. Even though Rachael called Gilbert’s dish a perfect midnight snack, she and Guy chose to send him home. Seven celebrities remain to compete next week. Watch Gilbert’s exit interview below.

Do you have any regrets about the competition?
Gilbert Gottfried: I really wish I could have won the $50,000 for my charity, The Gift of Laughter: The Friar Foundation Wounded Warriors Program.

Did you learn anything from this competition and are you going to cook again?
GG: I don’t know if I just learned it, but I’ve learned from this competition just how much more I need to learn about cooking. I’m not sure if I’ll ever have the courage to cook again, but I’m walking away from the competition with a new appreciation for what goes into making a good meal.

What do you take away from this competition?
GG: I’m happy that I was able to take part in the competition, raise awareness for my charity and work with Rachael and with Guy, because even though I was on Rachael’s team, Guy was helping out too. At the end of the day I’m still totally lost, but I’d like to think it was a good experience.

Do you think Gilbert deserved to go home? Leave a comment.

Donate to Gilbert’s charity, The Gift of Laughter: The Friars Foundation Wounded Warriors Program.

Keep coming back to FN Dish for exclusive interviews and behind-the-scenes previews.

Judge Marc Summers Previews Rewrapped

For years, Marc Summers revealed the whats and hows of timeless snack foods on Food Network’s Unwrapped. And beginning tomorrow, he’ll be...

1. Payton Aarons says:

Go on your haters . . . you can't see the humor or entertainment value of this show. These folks are not professionals – they are doing the best that they can and they're learning all the way through. Yes, a little cheesy with the skits but that's what they do.

This is a great show and anyone who doesn't think Rachael and Guy are super-duper hosts . . . they should stop watching Food Network

2. Jorge says:

Sunday nights will be spent far far away from FN for the duration of this train wreck. Once I saw Kathy Griffin in one of the promos, I knew I wouldn't be watching anyway.

3. juliebug04 says:

Quite frankly, I love this show–the chosen celebrities showing their range in the kitchen. I'm not sure WHY Gilbert was put on the show if he doesn't like to cook and has no imagination in the kitchen. I admire him for trying to raise money for a VERY worthwhile charity, but seriously…WTH? A peanut butter sandwich, with jelly and bananas, sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar?? That one commenter was right…a 3 year old COULD do that with just as much skill in plating. I enjoyed last season and loved watching some of the celebrities get creative as the season went on. I think some of the contestants should be careful and listen to Rachael and Guy…they ARE chefs and they know by experience what goes over well in large crowds.

• eli rodgers says:

correction- Rachael is NOT a chef – she just plays one on tv

• juliebug04 says:

If she wasn't good at what she does, she would not be PAID to be cooking on television. She isn't my cup o' tea either, but people obviously buy what she is selling, hence the show's title… Personally, I would much rather be on Guy's team, just because he is funny and engaging. She always seemed a little stiff to me, but again, a lot of folks like her. If they didn't she wouldn't be paid good money to be on FN

• eli rodgers says:

RR is on FN to sell her wares – nothing more nothing less – she is the puppet face of FN to those people who think that just because you are born to parents who know how to cook, you can cook too and she is there only to keep the status quo
        As for Guy – funny and engaging – more like spoiled and childish. Throwing food in other people's kitchens, throwing away and or flipping off the sunny side up eggs, drinking out of squirt bottles – shall I go on

• cherrycooks says:

"…throwing away and or flipping off the sunny side up eggs…"

Has it ever occurred to you that Guy Fieri might have an egg allergy and that this is the reason that he shuns eggs when they are served to him? Eggs are among the most common food allergens, and many people are highly allergic to them. I'm not enamored with some of GF's antics on Triple D, but I don't believe that he is "flipping off" eggs without a good reason.

• Linda K says:

@cherrycooks – he doesn't. He's had pancakes and the pizza w/ Andrew Zimmern that had a sunnyside egg which he dipped in over and over again (ick – double dipper).

Try again to defend his actions. He's a cook that can't stand the actual egg – i think it's some type of mental issue not a dietary one.

I think a little therapy and a lot of meds would take care of it.

• Jessica Jackson says:

@Juliebug04 – please check Rachael's resume – she is not a chef. Do not demean the chef community by making that mistake. She is not really good at what she does – if you watched her interview with Oprah -you would have known that she was one of those annoying folks that push product at the department store and bullied her way into the position. Oprah also stated that she had that "it" factor if not the talent to really do any cooking. Personality with no cooking ability is the point.

So you are definitely right – she is big on the fake smile and smoking too much raspy voice – but add little to the show other than you popularity with the mid-day watcher of TV.

• juliebug04 says:

Wow, there is some venom being spewed about Rachael and Guy…. Look, if you don't like them, and by extension this show, why are you watching this show and posting on this blog? Jiminy crickets people. Spout your vitriolic diatribes somewhere else please…

• eli rodgers says:

not venom but rather truths that they do not deserve to be placed on the podium of all that is good and righteous

@ cherrycooks – Guy is not allergic to eggs – he eats them (in large amounts in other food) it's a stupid fetish about the runny yolk

• cherrycooks says:

Well, then, a lot of folks, including myself, have a "fitish" about runny egg yolks.

How do you know that he's not allergic to eggs? Many people who are allergic can tolerate eggs when used in other foods (i.e. cakes or cookies) but are not able to eat plain eggs.

• eli rodgers says:

because he ate a runny egg yolk on a DDD episode that featured Andrew Zimmerin at a pizzza place that cracks an egg on pizza – he didn't die on the air so he ain't allergic to them

• Quincy says:

Hi Folks –

Very interesting conversation but you are using the word Fetish incorrectly. Please check Dictionary.com

Fetish

fet·ish
            [fet-ish, fee-tish]
            noun
            an object regarded with awe as being the embodiment or habitation of a potent spirit or as having magical potency.
            any object, idea, etc., eliciting unquestioning reverence, respect, or devotion: to make a fetish of high grades.

• cherrycooks says:

I don't need Dictionary.com – or any dictionary, for that matter – to know that "fetish" is the right word when used in this syntax. Eli Rodgers didn't misuse the word, either. I simply questioned his comment that Guy Fieri snubbed runny egg yolks and suggested that it could – I said "could"- be due to allergy. If that's not the case, then, yes, GF might have a food "fetish" regarding runny egg yolks. So do I, and I suspect many others who won't eat raw or undercooked eggs. It's probably also a food "fetish" that I don't like foods mixed together on my plate, and I don't eat casseroles that usually have lots of different ingredients cooked together. My 20-something nephew won't eat potatoes without Ranch dressing, and I consider that, too, to be a food fetish. I think we all have them – no harm, no foul.

• juliebug04 says:

I wouldn't throw stones from your glass house, hun.

• eli rodgers says:

just throw eggs sweet "thang" or should I say "FN mole" maybe even Guy the egg flipper himself…..

• juliebug04 says:

Oh, yes….you caught me… *snort* No dear, you sound delusional. I'm not perfect and I don't profess to be, unlike a lot of folks around here.

I like the show because of the humor and seeing celebrities out of their element. My point is, if you don't like show or the cast, DO NOT WATCH. There is a thing called a REMOTE, and you can change the channel whenever you like, then go play in another sand box and waste other people's time.

• Quincy says:

Needs repeating

What is wrong with everyone – this is a blog – why are you getting so passionate about this. At the end of the day. . . does it really matter. These are comments made and forgotten just as quickly.

Just know that you have your options no need to blog on everything. Spread the word that GOD loves you no matter your affiliation or devotions.

Be blessed and forgive those who are not

• Jessica Jackson says:

@juliebug04 – I have to watch the show – unlike you, it's my job and I get paid for watching TV.

• bob griffin jr says:

can I get your job – would love to watch tv and come here to make comments

• juliebug04 says:

Well, if you had a better attitude about it, it might not suck so bad. If it does suck that bad, glad I don't have your job.

• Quincy says:

@juliebug04

be the better person- they know not of what they do. God has given us all a voice and we must appreciate that everyone will have an opinion.

Be blessed with God's love. Please let the anger go.

• juliebug04 says:

You're right, Quincy. I should not allow myself to get sucked in. I get frustrated when people spew such hateful and derogatory things about people they do not know. All they know what they see on television, which is edited to bring in ratings. The editing serves no other purpose than to inflame people. I try to not let it bother me, but sometimes I get sucked into it.

• Jessie Simpson says:

Some people just don't like some of foods – not a big deal. Don't eat what you don't like. Not like there's a requirement for a chef to eat everything that lands on your plate.

Good for Guy for standing up for not eating eggs.

• Orange Blossom says:

I always thought Rach was a great chef. The clever utensils and cookware she's come up with is cool. Guy is an awesome chef and mixologist too however FN only shows repeats of triple D and he isn't cooking a thing. Guy and Rach would make good chefs together. Don't get me wrong it's positive a show such as this plays for charity. I think the hosts could do wonders if they cooked too and as one blogger mentioned invite service men and women to participate and so forth.

• jo kelly says:

love or hate RR and Guy – ya'll are pretty entertaining for a Monday

• Quincy says:

Be blessed and forgive those who are not.

4. MoHub says:

As celebrity cooks go, there are plenty out there. Paul Newman is doing 1,000 RPMs in his grave about now.

5. Food nut BK says:

Why don't you go to skid row to get new celebrities? So you have two old hag vegans one being famous for dating Stalone & Jagger in the 80's The other who I've never seen before. She's done 25 movies? Gilbert should have been saved on the show. Who in the hell is going to make Humas at midnight? I still don't get it with the vegans. If Food network had a vegan show it probably would be off the air in a matter of no time. Next the Flaming figure skater I'm sure that Guy's children aren't spending anytime with this guy. Dean is famous for being married to Tory Spelling ? The rest of the cast are actual celebs and have skills. This is such a let down from season one. Season ones cast was great. Whoever hired the mentioned above hacks should be fired.

• sue says:

I'm a carnivore, but know some vegans. Vegan food can be delish, and a fun challenge. How to make something really yummy for this event with some very real limitations. It's a puzzle, and a mental challenge. I would watch a – Good – vegan cooking show in a heart beat.

• Wynter says:

Vegan cooking is good tasting however your ingredients are very limited. A show that teaches cooks how to make recipes vegan, veggie, gluten free, diabetic friendly would catch a large public because a majority of the population is gradually turning to special diets. Not everyone, but a high percent. Even if you eat meat you may know someone who is going vegan or has diabetes. The info can still be helpful.

• downnotout says:

Vegans are weak minded prey that attempt to get everyone else to validate their senseless unrealistic eating habits while they hypocritically mimic meat dishes with pretend meat substitutes. It is part of a meaningless existence…

• Wyn says:

Some go vegan because they have to cut out dairy from their diet for health reasons. What you eat is your choice and I agree no one should put down someone elses for consuming protien such as meat just because they don't eat it.

• Wayne says:

You're right! Whoever chose that lineup needs to be sent home!

6. Keep On Cookin says:

Aflac!!! I didn't see the show but I hope no duck was (or is) involved.

7. FN Fan says:

Dear Food Network –

Do you read these blogs? Do you have any idea who your customer base is? I watch food network for a few reasons, including – 1, I have little kids, and sometimes like to watch shows/channels where adults act like adults, where there is no risk of inappropriate words, or inappropriate visuals and where there are NO purple dinosaurs. So far they haven't asked me what a B!tchin Kitchen is. B!tch is a degrading word that is not acceptable to most people. Why would you put it in the title of a show, then advertise the show over and over?

2. I also enjoy watching competent, professional people act like competent professionals and do a job well. I enjoy watching decent people act decently.

That's why the earlier seasons of Next Food Network Star were good. There was an expectation that the contestants had to be adult and professional to win. Back stabbing, theatrics, spite and drama where automatic disqualifiers. Then someone in your marketing department said "OOOH not enough drama" And we got Penny. And how about Marcel as an Iron Chef? Come on! He doesn't have near the experience or gravitas to be Iron Chef. But he did cause lots of drama on that other cooking competition on that other station. OOOH Let's cast Marcel! Let's become a cheap, ugly version of that other station. Yeah, that means we TRASH the Iron Chef brand, and make it a joke, but what the heck, drama good.

Get new marketing people. Get new casting directors. Or say good bye to a lot of loyal customers.

Suggestion for next Food Network Star. Hold a dinner for a bunch of worthy people – wounded warriors, pediatric nurses, etc. Have the contestants draw names, and select the ingredients for their competitor's basket. Then make each one cook with the food they chose. Reward maturity and professionalism, not spite and nastiness.

You have a unique product. Don't cheapen it. (When is the last time you turned to the Arts and Entertainment Channel and saw arts or entertainment? Gory true crime doesn't count.) When I watch Food Network, I expect to see competent professionals doing good things with food. I don't want to see contrived drama, spite, or disrespect. And I don't expect that taking food seriously becomes the joke.

• jaxson says:

i have only ever seen b*tchin kitchen advertised at night (also when it's aired) why are your kids still awake and watching tv at that time?maybe u should just wait until they are in bed and THEN watch what u want and really what channel doesn't advertise things kids shouldn't hear/see? Ever watch those cartoons your kids are watchin?seems like there's a lot of "bad" everywhere it's up to YOU to monitor it not the Foodnetwork…………….after all it's YOUR remote turning the channels not theirs. Maybe you should just read the paper instead, to see" where adults act like adults", the choice is yours

• jo kelly says:

please don't invite worthy people – I don't wants them getting food poisoning

• Missy0234 says:

Here is a thought – have a competition between Rachel and Guy where THEY actually cook. Guy will out cook Rachel hands down. I don't see why everyone thinks Rachel is a cook to begin with. She makes me sick to even watch her eat something.

• 2ndbestfriend says:

1. Yet you chose to watch the network you consider to have offensive content.
      2. You chose to watch a show that doesn't feature what you enjoy.

And you have the gall to complain. You are the joke.

• Marsha says:

FN Fan, it sounds like the Cooking Channel is what you want. It's out there, also PBS. FN has gone game show and it doesn't look like they are coming back.

8. Alexa says:

I probably would not have tuned in to this show ever, but I only watched because my favorite figure skater would be making an appearance this season. As soon as he's gone though, I'll probably stop watching. Food Network's shows have been going downhill lately, this one joining the list. All the other shows on that list, such as Sweet Genius and Cupcake Wars, please get them off the air. There are only a few I really watch, like Chopped, Iron Chef, Guy's shows, Anne Burrell's shows, and the occasional Throwdown with Bobby Flay.

Back to this show though, I will say as hilarious as Gottfried was, I got secondhand embarrassment from watching him struggle. He did say he could make a mean eggplant parmesan, but it was unfortunate that he had to cook for 100 people this first challenge. And what a tough first challenge too! I see esteemed chefs on Top Chef (gasp, a competing channel's TV show!) struggling to do this, so I will commend all those celebrities who had to suffer through that.

Also, does anyone here really eat hummus for a midnight snack? It might be just me, but for a late night snack, I would take the sandwich Gottfried made over hummus any day.

• TexasMama says:

I love hummus and pita chips for an anytime snack. Now that I see how easy it is to make, I'll keep the ingredients on hand for a quick "fix" instead of buying it premade from the grocery store.

• RuthAnn says:

I love hummus and have had it as a midnight snack. I don't make it though. I buy it. Not a fan of PB&J, had too many as a child.

9. danny g. says:

Please just cook and leave out the gay agenda! Just wanna see honest competition and not the politics of
    someone's personal life.

10. Fernie says:

There is always 1 jobber in these shows who are on the show to get booted off first. Gilbert was casted as the Jobber and since he knew he had no shot he said the hell with it I am going to do the very least in the kitchen.

Aaron Carter last year was the Jobber.