An Interview With the Latest Rachael vs. Guy Celebrity Castoff

by in Shows, January 6th, 2013

Kathy and Gilbert
Rachael vs. GuyEvery Sunday night, FN Dish gives you the exclusive exit interview with the latest castoff from Rachael vs. Guy: Celebrity Cook-Off, the competition show that features celebrities cooking their way through challenges for a chance to win the title of Cook-Off Champion and $50,000 for their chosen charity. This season will have the celebrities facing real-life situations — far from the glamour of the red carpet — and will test more than just their cooking skills.

On tonight’s premiere, the eight celebrities walked in on the red carpet and stepped directly into the competition. The challenge for the first episode combined cooking and entertaining, but not as you might initially think. The celebrity that was sent home unfortunately only excelled at one task and not the other.

After they met with the stars, Rachael and Guy assembled their teams and immediately began the competition. For the first challenge, the celebs had to cook a tasting menu for hundreds of theater guests. But that wasn’t it; they also had to perform a three-minute skit during dinner. Ultimately, the theater portion of the challenge went off without a hitch for both teams, but the dinner portion wasn’t as successful for some.

Also see:
Red Carpet Premiere (Photos)
Episode 1 Recap (Video)
Watch the Full Episode (Video)
Episode 1 Highlights (Photos)

The dinner-theater guests voted Team Rachael as the losing team with Kathy’s and Gilbert’s dishes as the least favorite. For the elimination challenge, Rachael and Guy asked the bottom two celebs to prepare a midnight snack. Kathy made her mom’s hummus recipe and Gilbert decided to reinterpret the same dish that contributed to his team’s losing the dinner-theater challenge: a peanut butter sandwich. Even though Rachael called Gilbert’s dish a perfect midnight snack, she and Guy chose to send him home. Seven celebrities remain to compete next week. Watch Gilbert’s exit interview below.

Do you have any regrets about the competition?
Gilbert Gottfried: I really wish I could have won the $50,000 for my charity, The Gift of Laughter: The Friar Foundation Wounded Warriors Program.

Did you learn anything from this competition and are you going to cook again?
GG: I don’t know if I just learned it, but I’ve learned from this competition just how much more I need to learn about cooking. I’m not sure if I’ll ever have the courage to cook again, but I’m walking away from the competition with a new appreciation for what goes into making a good meal.

What do you take away from this competition?
GG: I’m happy that I was able to take part in the competition, raise awareness for my charity and work with Rachael and with Guy, because even though I was on Rachael’s team, Guy was helping out too. At the end of the day I’m still totally lost, but I’d like to think it was a good experience.

Do you think Gilbert deserved to go home? Leave a comment.

Donate to Gilbert’s charity, The Gift of Laughter: The Friars Foundation Wounded Warriors Program.

Keep coming back to FN Dish for exclusive interviews and behind-the-scenes previews.

“You Have to Be Able to Play the Game” — Alton’s After-Show

To survive — and thrive — on Cutthroat Kitchen, it’s not enough to be able to work quickly under pressure or to deliver a well-seasoned plat...

1. AnneM. says:

I applaud the charity (ie Wounded Warriors) that Gilbert G. Represented and helped to highlight. Having said that, it was completely inappropriate to have someone who can't cook in a cooking contest. This may have been someone's foolish idea of a joke? If so, it failed. It made the first episode a joke and diminished the actual dishes prepared by the others. It also probably threw the first challenge to Guy's team and left Rachel's team short. I think it was insulting to viewers. Makes me reluctant to continue to watch…. I don't usually comment on shows, but this left me PO'd enough to track down the comments site.

• Marilyn S. says:

I agree with you on every point you made. I never comment on these kind of things either….but it was obvious that Gilbert G. was brought in just to be the first one eliminated. The poor man was confused about everything that had to do with cooking! He has to have the worst agent ever!

• juliebug04 says:

I agree…I'm not really sure why he was on the show in the first place if he isn't comfortable in the kitchen–and he obviously was not, at least on that large of a scale. Most of the other contestants apparently sent in a video showing them preparing something or something they had cooked, and I didn't see one for him. I find his charity admirable though.

2. PhoenixFromTheAshes says:

I completely agree with writer AnneM above. My annoyance drove me to find the show's blog. Another questionable feature: With two vegetarian/vegan chefs (one on each team, conveniently), how will the "face off" challenges be blind if one of them is involved? Will it not be OBVIOUS that the meatless dish was prepared by THAT chef?

3. A FAN says:

I was really looking forward to watching this show tonight. But I was very disappointed in then bringing on Gilbert Gottfried. He is not a cook so he did not belong on the show. Plus I didn't even think that he was funny now I know that someone had to be voted off. But you should have had another cook. Mr. Gottfried is not a cook or is he funny. He did not belong on the show. Who ever brought him to the show should be hiding under the bed and be ashamed of them selfs.

4. Garcia says:

Gilbert is the best! It takes a genius to try and make the same dish for both challenges of a cooking competition and make it entertaining. Gilbert was my only reason for watching the show this season so—I'm gone.

5. Still Cooking says:

So is this show staged like NIC?

6. Barbara says:

Pulled this blog up this morning just to see what happened……….glad I didn't watch. Total waste of the viewer's time it seems. Now I know for sure Sunday night is open for other things.

7. FN Fan says:

Wow, this was bad. I watch Food Network because it is normally high quality. I accept that the shows are staged. What "reality" show isn't. And it's no coincidence, I'm sure, that the teams stayed even all through the last season. So what.

But this was hard to watch. Ouch. The casting director needs a different job. Now. The "celebrity" contestants include a couple of professional reality show hacks and someone who dated Mick Jagger a few decades ago. I don't give a flip who sleeps with whom, but "dating" Mick Jagger does not make anyone a celebrity. That's just weird. And if I wanted to go all feminist, insulting. I'm surprised they didn't cast professional creep and liar Michele Salahi (of White House crashing fame). They could say she is a member of the Redskins Cheerleaders Alumni. (Per news reports, she joined the alumni group by lying about having been a cheerleader. )

Most of the participants could at least be (semi) real. The only interest in this obviously staged show is seeing people in a different light. Lou Diamond Phillips in the last season was great to watch. The previews had a quick moment of Gilbert speaking normally. But through the entire show, he stayed in "character" – stupid and unfunny, and obnoxious to listen to. Either the casting director casted someone who couldn't cook to a cooking show, or Gilbert thought it would be cute to act like a moron. Either way, bad. Then at the end, he says he really wanted to win after declaring he can barely make a peanut butter sandwich?

Dear food network – do you really think this is what your customer base wants to watch?

• Epic Fail says:

You had a thumbs up until you started trashing Gilbert. Get a sense of humor.

• FN Fan says:

I see your point. Many people like Gilbert, many don't. That wasn't the problem. He was too busy being "ME I'm a comedian and this is my Shtick." I would have preferred seeing the real person, not the routine. I would have had the same objection if the football player tried to tackle the other contestants or the singers launched into solos when asked to discuss the food they wanted to make. This is a cooking show. If he had been the least bit serious about his cooking, I would have had no problem.

• lainer62-portland says:

You had me until you commented on Lou Diamond Phillips. As I said on another blog, I saw him on the Military Movie Channel talking with Pat Sajak who was a DJ in Viet Nam. Lou was an a@@ h@@@. I wanted to punch him out for his insensitive juvenile comments. He doesn't have a clue! I used to like him but in my opinion – he is a jerk!

8. olive says:

forget gilbert………… I won't watch this show due to the little dinner theater skits and the big "MAN" kiss that had no place on FOOD TV? The Food Network channel is getting so bad . I agree just a bunch of stupied reallity shows. Bring back some real cooking shows !

9. Flour Child says:

I tried to watch this thing to give it a chance. Johnny Weir-do was never a fave of mine when he skated. And he wasn't a fave of mine here. His dish was deemed flavorless prior to service. Since he didn't care how to improve it, I didn't care if he remained. Right after the boy-on-boy smooch, I fell asleep and missed the rest of show. Reading this blog, I see Gottfried was ousted. I'll have to watch the ep to see how badly Gilbert did to leave before the "tasteless" skater…

• Jessica Jackson says:

Gotta love when Johnny – reference skating in every breath he took just to remind you why he thinks he if famous.

10. Wilson Russell says:

This show is a train-wreck on Valium. Really, had to watch sideways since these hacks terrorized the TV screen with their horrific acting and over done showcase of lack of talent. I feel bad for Guy and Rachel – how could they bring in a sorted group of "never do wells" on this show. With Lou Diamond Phillips and Coolio last season . . . I think they started selected bottom up when selecting contestants.

I am overwhelming happy for the racist Gilbert Godfrield to be off the show. . . just a reminder of his off color joke about the Japanese tragedy with the tsumani and radiation. Sad – to correlate that with the charity that he SAID he was supporting. Or in this case NOT supporting.