An Interview With the Latest Rachael vs. Guy Celebrity Castoff

by in Shows, January 6th, 2013

Kathy and Gilbert
Rachael vs. GuyEvery Sunday night, FN Dish gives you the exclusive exit interview with the latest castoff from Rachael vs. Guy: Celebrity Cook-Off, the competition show that features celebrities cooking their way through challenges for a chance to win the title of Cook-Off Champion and $50,000 for their chosen charity. This season will have the celebrities facing real-life situations — far from the glamour of the red carpet — and will test more than just their cooking skills.

On tonight’s premiere, the eight celebrities walked in on the red carpet and stepped directly into the competition. The challenge for the first episode combined cooking and entertaining, but not as you might initially think. The celebrity that was sent home unfortunately only excelled at one task and not the other.

After they met with the stars, Rachael and Guy assembled their teams and immediately began the competition. For the first challenge, the celebs had to cook a tasting menu for hundreds of theater guests. But that wasn’t it; they also had to perform a three-minute skit during dinner. Ultimately, the theater portion of the challenge went off without a hitch for both teams, but the dinner portion wasn’t as successful for some.

Also see:
Red Carpet Premiere (Photos)
Episode 1 Recap (Video)
Watch the Full Episode (Video)
Episode 1 Highlights (Photos)

The dinner-theater guests voted Team Rachael as the losing team with Kathy’s and Gilbert’s dishes as the least favorite. For the elimination challenge, Rachael and Guy asked the bottom two celebs to prepare a midnight snack. Kathy made her mom’s hummus recipe and Gilbert decided to reinterpret the same dish that contributed to his team’s losing the dinner-theater challenge: a peanut butter sandwich. Even though Rachael called Gilbert’s dish a perfect midnight snack, she and Guy chose to send him home. Seven celebrities remain to compete next week. Watch Gilbert’s exit interview below.

Do you have any regrets about the competition?
Gilbert Gottfried: I really wish I could have won the $50,000 for my charity, The Gift of Laughter: The Friar Foundation Wounded Warriors Program.

Did you learn anything from this competition and are you going to cook again?
GG: I don’t know if I just learned it, but I’ve learned from this competition just how much more I need to learn about cooking. I’m not sure if I’ll ever have the courage to cook again, but I’m walking away from the competition with a new appreciation for what goes into making a good meal.

What do you take away from this competition?
GG: I’m happy that I was able to take part in the competition, raise awareness for my charity and work with Rachael and with Guy, because even though I was on Rachael’s team, Guy was helping out too. At the end of the day I’m still totally lost, but I’d like to think it was a good experience.

Do you think Gilbert deserved to go home? Leave a comment.

Donate to Gilbert’s charity, The Gift of Laughter: The Friars Foundation Wounded Warriors Program.

Keep coming back to FN Dish for exclusive interviews and behind-the-scenes previews.

Just Desserts — Testing the Cutthroat Kitchen Sabotages

Creating tiramisu can be time-consuming, as it involves soaking lady fingers in an espresso mixture and topping them with a sweet mascarpone cheese-ba...

1. philly girl says:

Whoever chose Gilbert Gottfired to be a contestant should be embarrassed. I would have thought some kind of screening to be sure that the person coullld cook something would have been done, It is a huge disadvantage to Rachel's team. It made a joke of this first episode.

2. FNGossip says:

MMM Peanut Butter sandwiches…. Guess there wasn't a cooking tryout to get on the show. Gilberts humor will be missed.

3. robert hutchens says:

Who let Gilbert Gottfried on a cooking show and is that person fired yet?

4. PhoenixFromTheAshes says:

This was a ludicrous waste of time. With all due respect, to Mr. Gottfried, it was an embarrassment. If it was intentional to cast a celebrity who clearly has no cooking experience or knowledge, then I am done with this show. It is enough that we as viewers have to contend with sneaky product placements and subversive "ads within the shows" on our favorite reality cooking shows. If the producers are going to begin to manipulate the chef-testants as well in order to give a good "profile" for ratings purposes, then I think the genre has run its course.

5. Cmclaren says:

It was an embarrassment. We knew way before the end of the show who was going home. Rachel must have agreed ahead of time to choose him.

6. Michelle says:

What in the heck was that? Were we all just punked? That was actually embarrassing!

7. I think Gilbert needed to be on a different team, one who colors are red and who leader is a blonde spiky haired woman. Still entertaining giving me something to blog about tonight.

• MoHub says:

Maybe "Worst Celebrity Cooks in America"? I bet Anne Burrell could whip even a culinary fumbler like Gilbert Gottfried into shape.

8. lindasue says:

What are the criteria to gualify to be considered for a contestant and who's involved in the selection? As a fan and loyal viewer of both Rachel and Guy, I sincerely hope they were not involved in selection. However, whoever was responsible, shame on you!! But, hats off to the other contestants who encouraged him. I am seriously considering not watching FNC again. That was a cruel thing to do to another human being!

9. GrammaCindy says:

This won't be one of the shows I anxiously await to watch. FoodNetwork just seems to be getting worse in it's programing, not better. Maybe it's time for some new executives at the top to make decisions. This program and others (Cupcake Wars, Paula Deens many shows, Paula Deens sons shows, the Sweet Genius????) are just becoming a bunch of reality tv shows to attract the younger crowd.

• Flour Child says:

You forgot the DDD that is on several hours a day / several days per week. Obviously, FN is scrounging the bottom of the culinary and idea barrel. Maybe, they want to be the biggest losers in the television corporate world.???

• Jessica Jackson says:

@GrammaCindy – you think so little of the younger crowd. We can see and smell $#it when it's on TV

• eli rodgers says:

this younger crowd you speak against dosen't know who the $##$ these so called celebrities are in the first place

• Melissa says:

You forgot the Next Iron Chef. A "Chopped" judge seems to be the favorite choice now for Iron Chefs. I'm over that show too now! I hope you're listening to all these comments FN.

• Wynter says:

You picked my favorite FN shows!

10. bwine61 says:

Gilbert needed to go, peanut butter sandwichs…really??? My daughters were fixing their own peanut butter sandwichs by the time they were 3, one would assume an adult would be able to fix something other than a pb&j!!