An Interview With the Latest Rachael vs. Guy Celebrity Castoff

by in Shows, January 20th, 2013

Dean and Chilli
Rachael vs. GuyEvery Sunday night, FN Dish gives you the exclusive exit interview with the latest castoff from Rachael vs. Guy: Celebrity Cook-Off, the competition show that features celebrities cooking their way through challenges for a chance to win the title of Cook-Off Champion and $50,000 for their chosen charity. This season will have the celebrities facing real-life situations — far from the glamour of the red carpet — and will test more than just their cooking skills.

On tonight’s episode, the six remaining celebrities found themselves at Mel’s Drive-In. The challenge this time would be to create a full diner experience for the customers. One person from each team would be required to attend the front of the house while the remaining two cooked in the back. The goal was to test the celebrities’ adaptability in reinventing three classic diner dishes: the tuna melt, cheeseburger and club sandwich. Unfortunately, Team Guy was not allowed to choose who would make which sandwich, putting them at a disadvantage that landed them in the bottom again.

With the advantage from last week’s win, Team Rachael got to assign the dishes to Team Guy, throwing them all for a loop. Johnny was given the club sandwich, Dean the tuna melt and Chilli the cheeseburger. Unfortunately, Dean and Chilli weren’t able to deliver the best versions, and the diners voted their dishes the least favorite.

Also see:
Episode 3 Recap (Video)
Watch the Full Episode (Video)
Episode 3 Highlights (Photos)

The two had to face off in a 5-minute milkshake challenge. Dean’s boozy Creamsicle-inspired milkshake really impressed Rachael and Guy. Chilli’s chocolate, peanut butter and cookies milkshake, on the other hand, wasn’t inventive enough to save her. Five celebrities remain to cook next week, with Team Guy down to only two members. Watch Chilli’s exit interview below.

Would you have done anything differently in the blind tasting challenge?
Chilli: I was really happy with how my milkshake turned out. I’m glad I incorporated the chocolate, peanut butter and cookies. All those flavors go together. I didn’t want to get too busy. Chocolate was the safe choice and I wanted to play it safe. Maybe Rachael and Guy were looking for one of us to step outside the box. Dean definitely did. I was too nervous to step outside of the box, but maybe I should have.

What did you learn from this competition, about cooking or yourself?
C: I’ve learned so much. I’ve learned how to be a team player in the kitchen. I’m glad I had this experience because otherwise I would still want to work alone in the kitchen. I’ve learned not to let anything intimidate me — I don’t care if it’s a grill or someone else’s kitchen; I’ve learned to adapt to whatever is around me to make it my own thing. When it comes to cooking, I’m going to be at another level now. I’m going to be more adventurous with my recipes and try new things. I’m going to keep in mind some of the recipes I learned here. I’m going to be a beast in my kitchen because of this competition.

What do you take away from this competition?
C: The best part of this experience was meeting everybody. You admire so many people from far away for what they do, but you don’t know what they’re like in person. I’m always nervous to meet other celebrities. Some are nice just because you’re a celebrity too, but you can tell when somebody is not cool. I was pleasantly surprised by everybody. What a blessing it’s been to have made new friends. It’s so cool to be able to say to people, I know Guy Fieri, I know Rachael Ray. They were so nice and helpful all the time. Guy made us feel good about ourselves. He’s such a great guy. I can’t stress enough how happy I am that I was able to be a part of this competition and to go home with a bunch of new friends.

How did you like working on a team?
C: Being part of a team helped me grow as a person, and I think it definitely made me a better person, just being able to listen to others more. I’m not a know-it-all. It’s good to listen to other people and have their help, because sometimes I can’t do it all. Even though I try to, I really do need help sometimes, but I don’t always ask.

What do you think about Guy?
C: Guy to me is just a big ball of the most amazing energy. He is a no-nonsense kind of guy. He knows his stuff but he still lends an ear to listen to you and takes into consideration what you have to say. I’m so glad I got a chance to really know him and to see that he is so passionate about what he does. I think that’s why he’s so great at what he does. You can tell he still wants to expand and be better than he is already. He’s amazing. I love Guy.

What’s next for you?
C: Even though I didn’t win for my charity, I’m still going to keep things moving with Chilli’s Crew and work with other people who want to get involved with my charity. A lot of TLC stuff is coming up. It’s our 21st anniversary. The TLC biopic is something that T-Boz and I are working on. The script is done and the movie is on its way. We’re about to go back in the studio to make new music for the movie. I’m so excited about all of that. I can’t wait to get out there and see the fans. Now that I’ve made new friends here, they’re all invited to come and check us out on the road.

Do you think Chilli deserved to go home? Leave a comment below.

For more information on Chilli’s charity, visit Chilli’s Crew on Facebook.

Keep coming back to FN Dish for exclusive content and behind-the-scenes previews.

Bobbing for Ingredients — Alton’s After-Show

Cutthroat Kitchen host Alton Brown‘s sabotages can involve any number of evilicious plans, such as replacing a contestant’s prime ingredie...

1. CINDY says:

THESE SO CALLED CELEBRITY CHEFS SHOULD KNOW THAT IT IS VERY RUDE TO TALK WITH FOOD IN YOUR MOUTH. DIDN'T YOUR MOTHERS TEACH YOU BETTER THAN THAT??? YOU'RE ON NATIONAL TV.

2. darlene says:

johnny has to go, i like honey boo boo better and thats pretty bad

3. Guest says:

I really think it was sooooo unfair Chilli was eliminated because some of the other chef's made key mistakes. Dean lacked extra chees on his tuna melt,so he should've definitely got sent home.Kathy Najimy had the chicken club, she was suppose to make it traditional but her own spin on it. I felt she changed the chicken club entirely because there was NO MEAT! Some people complained about not having any meat on their sandwhich. She should have been eliminated because of that.Chilli had all the components for her cheeseburger like the sauce,seasoning,and melted cheese was all on point. I think just wanted eliminate her because one customer said she "played it safe"…Chilli deserves to comeback and compete for her charity,let her come back FOODNETWORK PLEASE,PLEASE,PLEASE!

• Babymoma says:

Yes Dean and Kathy screwed up but at least they did something. Anything. Like you didn't have to hold a mirror under their nose to see if they were alive. They did a lot more jobs than their own plate. Chili could barely pick at a piece of cheese with her fingernail. It wasn't melted.

• Sandee Jackson says:

I think the weakest link got what she deserved. Chili could only complain and whine all day about how she couldn't believe she was on the grill again. Really, if that's the worst thing happening – she should be happy. As for Kathy – YIIIIIKKKKKEES – I think she leans on that Vegetarian thing too much. If you are a true vegetarian- wouldn't you already know what options you have.

Sadly – they could you eliminate 2 on the show – I would gladly see Kathy get the boot

4. Krista E says:

NOTE: Posting an opinion repeatedly does not make it anything more than just that…your opinion. Give us a break "Guest". Do what you will…but stop wasting our time!

Now, for an actual Blog Entry that is "new": The show is great! Very Entertaining, I enjoy watching Rachel and Guy come up with new ways to describe their judging. I, for one, am just grateful that the cuisine has moved beyond Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwiches. LOL

5. Stephanie M says:

Did you guys ever think that these "cooks" are on time restraints? It's not like they have a couple of hours to prep then a couple of few minutes to cook stuff. No, they have to prep and cook all at the same time on some of these. So when you criticize these chefs for "previously working in restaurants" or "going to culinary school", remember that they have just a few hours to cook and prep which doesn't help the outcome on some things.

6. Jerri says:

Dean…you need to concentrate on your own tasks instead of helping every one else accomplish theirs. I know that your instints are for helping but really…I want you to win so stop being Mr. Nice Guy (pardon the pun) and worry about yourself, I know you can do it!

7. annick says:

I do not like the show and the celebs this season. Is it that hard to find stars that know how to cook? I only watch the show if it isn't any thing better on TV. John Weir annoys me also,and that first show with the one with the peanut butter sandwich, that was a joke !!!

8. Carole Kane says:

Another week of watching this show – I agree with Dean . . . a little booze goes a long way. I was able to watch it after my 3 glass of eh um creamsicle like beverage. I can't think that they seriously had these celebs work in a diner and not fear for the health and safety of each and every person tasting their food. I even question what was in Carney's meal. . . I think she had a dip or two while working the kitchen – if not, whoooa, her doctor may need to re-calibrate those meds.

It was again another watch through your fingers and cringe or slosh down some heavy duty alcohol type of show. For each time Chili said 'oh my goodness' slam one back. . and every time Kathy made that I'm a vegetarian comment – drop two back.

Love the show but sure hell on wheels when you have to work on Mondays.

• Franklin Ashley says:

I regularly see multiple violations of food safety on food shows, hand washing or rinsing for a few seconds is not wise and cross contamination is abound. At least advise viewers who may immulate the proper techniques. add a bubble. Oh Carole, I would need booze to watch this again.

9. AnnaBanana says:

I agree that Chilli should not have gone nor should she have been in the elimination round. I think Dean should have left. Chilli had a complete burger and Dean's tuna melt was lacking all together. As far as the shake goes, Chilli may have been safe as far as flavors etc. but Dean using a raw egg did it for me. He should have been the one to go!

10. Lisa Shuart says:

It is beginning to be very apparant to me that these shows are fixed. It's sad because they could be so much fun. there is no way rachels team should have won-but like you said earlier-it has to be even. I like Dean and hope he wins but i don't think Chili did that bad. obviously it doesn't natter what we think-which also bothers me. I'm still very aggrivated at the fact alex "won" iron chef. I like FN and learn alot but that just completely made me think so much differently about this network. Just etertainment i guess. sad.