An Interview With the Latest Rachael vs. Guy Celebrity Castoff

by in Shows, January 20th, 2013

Dean and Chilli
Rachael vs. GuyEvery Sunday night, FN Dish gives you the exclusive exit interview with the latest castoff from Rachael vs. Guy: Celebrity Cook-Off, the competition show that features celebrities cooking their way through challenges for a chance to win the title of Cook-Off Champion and $50,000 for their chosen charity. This season will have the celebrities facing real-life situations — far from the glamour of the red carpet — and will test more than just their cooking skills.

On tonight’s episode, the six remaining celebrities found themselves at Mel’s Drive-In. The challenge this time would be to create a full diner experience for the customers. One person from each team would be required to attend the front of the house while the remaining two cooked in the back. The goal was to test the celebrities’ adaptability in reinventing three classic diner dishes: the tuna melt, cheeseburger and club sandwich. Unfortunately, Team Guy was not allowed to choose who would make which sandwich, putting them at a disadvantage that landed them in the bottom again.

With the advantage from last week’s win, Team Rachael got to assign the dishes to Team Guy, throwing them all for a loop. Johnny was given the club sandwich, Dean the tuna melt and Chilli the cheeseburger. Unfortunately, Dean and Chilli weren’t able to deliver the best versions, and the diners voted their dishes the least favorite.

Also see:
Episode 3 Recap (Video)
Watch the Full Episode (Video)
Episode 3 Highlights (Photos)

The two had to face off in a 5-minute milkshake challenge. Dean’s boozy Creamsicle-inspired milkshake really impressed Rachael and Guy. Chilli’s chocolate, peanut butter and cookies milkshake, on the other hand, wasn’t inventive enough to save her. Five celebrities remain to cook next week, with Team Guy down to only two members. Watch Chilli’s exit interview below.

Would you have done anything differently in the blind tasting challenge?
Chilli: I was really happy with how my milkshake turned out. I’m glad I incorporated the chocolate, peanut butter and cookies. All those flavors go together. I didn’t want to get too busy. Chocolate was the safe choice and I wanted to play it safe. Maybe Rachael and Guy were looking for one of us to step outside the box. Dean definitely did. I was too nervous to step outside of the box, but maybe I should have.

What did you learn from this competition, about cooking or yourself?
C: I’ve learned so much. I’ve learned how to be a team player in the kitchen. I’m glad I had this experience because otherwise I would still want to work alone in the kitchen. I’ve learned not to let anything intimidate me — I don’t care if it’s a grill or someone else’s kitchen; I’ve learned to adapt to whatever is around me to make it my own thing. When it comes to cooking, I’m going to be at another level now. I’m going to be more adventurous with my recipes and try new things. I’m going to keep in mind some of the recipes I learned here. I’m going to be a beast in my kitchen because of this competition.

What do you take away from this competition?
C: The best part of this experience was meeting everybody. You admire so many people from far away for what they do, but you don’t know what they’re like in person. I’m always nervous to meet other celebrities. Some are nice just because you’re a celebrity too, but you can tell when somebody is not cool. I was pleasantly surprised by everybody. What a blessing it’s been to have made new friends. It’s so cool to be able to say to people, I know Guy Fieri, I know Rachael Ray. They were so nice and helpful all the time. Guy made us feel good about ourselves. He’s such a great guy. I can’t stress enough how happy I am that I was able to be a part of this competition and to go home with a bunch of new friends.

How did you like working on a team?
C: Being part of a team helped me grow as a person, and I think it definitely made me a better person, just being able to listen to others more. I’m not a know-it-all. It’s good to listen to other people and have their help, because sometimes I can’t do it all. Even though I try to, I really do need help sometimes, but I don’t always ask.

What do you think about Guy?
C: Guy to me is just a big ball of the most amazing energy. He is a no-nonsense kind of guy. He knows his stuff but he still lends an ear to listen to you and takes into consideration what you have to say. I’m so glad I got a chance to really know him and to see that he is so passionate about what he does. I think that’s why he’s so great at what he does. You can tell he still wants to expand and be better than he is already. He’s amazing. I love Guy.

What’s next for you?
C: Even though I didn’t win for my charity, I’m still going to keep things moving with Chilli’s Crew and work with other people who want to get involved with my charity. A lot of TLC stuff is coming up. It’s our 21st anniversary. The TLC biopic is something that T-Boz and I are working on. The script is done and the movie is on its way. We’re about to go back in the studio to make new music for the movie. I’m so excited about all of that. I can’t wait to get out there and see the fans. Now that I’ve made new friends here, they’re all invited to come and check us out on the road.

Do you think Chilli deserved to go home? Leave a comment below.

For more information on Chilli’s charity, visit Chilli’s Crew on Facebook.

Keep coming back to FN Dish for exclusive content and behind-the-scenes previews.

Get a Sneak Peek at Rewrapped with Host Joey Fatone

The all-new series Rewrapped starring your favorite sweet and savory snacks premieres on Monday night (8|7c), where host Joey Fatone will be leading...

1. nkerch says:

BORING! Got tired of Dean's whining and switched to a Honey BooBoo repeat. Don't think I'll be back this season.

2. Gina B. says:

I liked all of the remaining players this week. I was sorry to see Chilli go. Both she and Dean have really cooked well this season. It only gets harder from here!

3. tich tran says:

How the hell did Dean get on the bottom of the competition several times?! Since he admitted in, let say, CNN Eatocracy interview to have worked in a high end steak house. Rising from dishwasher to first cook. And this was before culinary school. Unless he is doing this on purpose to not look too good.

• tich tran says:

He also admitted to working in SEVERAL RESTAURANTS in a L.A. PARENT magazine interview. Not just the high end steakhouse as mentioned in CNN Eatocracy.

4. Dishing Out says:

I really thought Chilli had a chance vs. Johnny Weir or Kathy Najimi. I thought those two would go out first and then, the final four would be Dean, Chilli, Hines and Carnie. Oh well, I'll check out her charity and looking forward to seeing how the new TLC movie turns out.

5. Myra says:

Chilli won this tonight. They both LOVED her milkshake. Did you see Rachel's face when she tasted Dean's raw egg white shake? The way she tried three times to get it off her tongue? It looked like she wanted to spit it out. Watch it again and you'll see what I'm talking about. I figured this was fixed last week when he won for an overcooked (he admitted it was too brown on the bottom) corn omelette. Corn omelette??? And she made a grilled corn salad that was scrumptious? Are they afraid to send Tori Spelling's husband home too soon?

Kudos to Guy and Rachel for their cooking directions to their teams. But, the outcome was bogus. I hope it gets better.

6. rukidding1 says:

Weir is riduculous

7. JustMe says:

Darn it.. I missed the opening, did it show "guess what they are saying"?? I did see part of it, but I missed that part of it. I am certain this was difficult, as both Chilli and Dean obviously had good shakes. I would have enjoyed both flavors.. Yum, a Pushup in milkshake form, and an Oreo/chocolate and PB shake.. Both great choices! However, I would "hope" that the objective is more about "the celebrity with the best cooking skills".. Dean certainly beats Chilli hands downs.

I am trying to remember that the show is also about awareness of charities, which in my pov can't be wrong. Personally, I just hope they keep the "cooking/cook/chef" part of the series alive since it IS ON FN!! .. I watched the rerun this week because another show was more interesting because of my pov for the last 2 weeks. I have to admit, it was a lil' bit better this week, but still would not be my first viewing choice..
    Surely there are "stars/celebs" who are "great cooks" who would participate… but then again, probably not as most ppl rarely do "all that cooking stuff" for themselves. If they keep the rules just a bit inline, it will still be worth the effort, I suppose.

8. Any Muss says:

I'm appalled that there was no comment made after Dean M. Served a raw egg white milk shake. Unbelievable!!! Dangerous!!! Made even worse because people know he went to culinary school and may think he knows what he is doing.

• justicemsb says:

You would think, since Guy hates eggs, that he would have said SOMETHING after that one. I wouldn't have touched it.

• Babymoma says:

That's because we all know he and Hines are set up to win. Better than Chili forgetting to add MILK to a MILKSHAKE and nearly breaking the motor on the machine.

• Sandee Jackson says:

So seriously bad. . . the worse thing would be that Dean survived to cook again for another day. And for what – his alcohol filled drink was 'better' than the chocolate drink that Chili made. I only wish that someone – anyone would tape Carney's mouth shut . . . I think she needs to calm it down b/c her antics are making her look like an out of control maniac.

• LeGuest says:

Please nothing wrong with raw egg.

• RuthAnn says:

I think folks are really over reacting to the raw egg in a milkshake. My mother, who was a nurse, would add raw egg to a milkshake if anyone in the house was ill and had trouble eating enough to get the nutrients that they needed. It added protein to our diet at the time. People eat raw eggs all the time in raw cookie dough. I have never gotten ill from a raw egg.

• FNcomp-r-rigged says:

I think it is imperative that the judges should have been made aware that raw eggs were used in the making of milkshake. Judges on Chopped have refused to eat food where the contestants used the cutting board to chop vegetables after cutting chicken/meat without cleaning it. The option to consume/not consume should be left up to the person tasting but they should know. I have consumed food/drinks with raw eggs without any effects as well as on one occasion have had severe consequences. I think both Guy and Rachel knew which milkshake belonged to whom. And SERIOUSLY…. Forgetting to add MILK in a ….LOL….. MILSHAKE????

9. Stacy says:

I'm still watching even though I'm getting annoyed at Weir's antics. "Fries with that shake"!!! This is a cooking show!
    If Rachael didn't like Dean's shake, why did he win? If this is fixed, it takes the fun out f it. I wonder who on Rachael's team will be booted off next week? It has to be even, right? Right now, it's 3 against 2. I think it's going to be Dean against Hines in the end. I wish Kathy would have at least used meat in her club. Her food is always near the bottom so I think that she should take that as a hint. Since she's the only vegetarian cook, they might keep her a little longer. She might be the next voted off. Her or Weir.

• judi1962 says:

Rachel said Dean made a creamsicle, not a milkshake, twice in the bottom two, time to go Dean

• Babymoma says:

I'd rather watch Weir shake his butt at Rachael's request than Carney yowl or Hines whine and flail like a child. Cooks can have fun you know.

• Judy GW says:

I think that Kathy might have salvaged her "club" by using a smoked cheese or perhaps some smoked, sliced almonds instead of bacon.

• LeGuest says:

In case you missed it Rachel said fries with that shake and Weir responded politely. If it didn't fit they wouldn't have aired it. Dean didn't win anything except not getting voted off a second time. Big prize there. They clearly said Chilli's shake did not fit what was expected. Like everything she's done all three episodes.

10. Stephanie M says:

Did you guys ever think that these "cooks" are on time restraints? It's not like they have a couple of hours to prep then a couple of few minutes to cook stuff. No, they have to prep and cook all at the same time on some of these. So when you criticize these chefs for "previously working in restaurants" or "going to culinary school", remember that they have just a few hours to cook and prep which doesn't help the outcome on some things.

Personally, I like Dean and I think that he is very talented and would like to see him go all the way. Hines would be my second choice. Heir needs to go and I was glad to see Chilli go!

• Michael Adamlee says:

Thanks Tori – guess what . . this is a TV show that they signed up for and being paid. I don't think anyone will take them seriously since we know that all of them claim to be celebrity's with only a dream of winning the cash for their charities. – Also – why do everyone call these celebrity's CHEFS- aren't chefs actually trained in their work.

Watch like it's entertainment. This is on par with WWE Wrestling and a side mix of Sister Wives for drama. Love or leave it/ Seriously, just a show and it passes the time while your husband is out with the boys and you're stuck at home cleaning your toe nails and waxing that overgrown stash.

• tich tran says:

No Michael you don't need to have a culinary degree to be a chef. Look at Ramsey. But Dean was indeed a FIRST COOK. Which is also known as CHEF de partie in europe. In fact in britain(where the brigade was invented). a pastry chef is A CHEF DE PARTIE. Since a head chef have to KNOW ALL HIS STATIONS(IE PARTIE). Just ask british Ramsey.

• tich tran says:

And yes Scotland is part of Britain(ie United Kingdom).

• 4t5u3ggu says:

Then he should know better

• tich tran says:

Yeah Dean should have known better on how to cook and SEASON his foods. But he showed GOOD LEADERSHIP skills when he was made team captain on both the first and third episode. Especially how he took charge of kitchen and staff(ie helping Chilli) when they were working at Mel's Diner. After all the word "chef" mean chief in french. If he ever open a restaurant and give himself the title chef patron(ie owner) or executive chef I wouldn't mind. He have the experience and skill to be a chef.

• SoupNuts says:

He doesn't lead: he takes over like a dad. He doesn't manage: he doesn't leave enough time for himself. He's not a cook: he doesn't season his foods.

• tich tran says:

"He takes over like a dad". Whatever that means. To me that still leadership. And he clearly knows his way around a professional kitchen. So he wasn't lying when he talked about his past professional kitchen experience. And remember one of the job of the head chef is to EXPEDIATE. He did that AND MORE on episode 3.

• Babymoma says:

Taking over and babying everyone is NOT leadership. It certainly didn't LEAD deadwood Chilli anywhere except off the program. I don't care about his background, personally. Good for him but it all comes down to what the judges think about the current performance. His food is NOT LIKED AS MUCH AS OTHER FOOD on this current show. No one is being judged on expedience. And thank goodness as he monopolizes the kitchen, fails at his own dishes, then makes excuses in the personal interviews. That is NOT leadership.

• guest says:

U suck 4 sayin' chilli needed to go!

• LeGuest says:

Maybe you suck for rooting for a celeb you like even though they did really awful on the show. No you don't suck that's mean you just lost.