Chef Wanted: Tuscan Kitchen Update

by in Shows, January 31st, 2013

Chef WantedAt Tuscan Kitchen in Salem, N.H., a recent expansion had owner Joe Faro looking for a new chef. His specific requirement: a passion for artisanal Italian cuisine. Anne and the Chef Wanted team were called in to help. Anne found four candidates, and after some grueling tests, an offer was extended to Chef Anthony De Palma.

Chef DePalma is a veteran when it comes to running a restaurant. He owned his own highly successful restaurant in West Palm Beach, Fla., but lost it after the economy collapsed in 2008. This job interview was the perfect opportunity to turn his luck around. He impressed Anne and Joe with his incredible skills of making pasta, sauce and cheese all from scratch. He breezed through all the challenges until it came to dinner, when a few problems in the kitchen delayed service. But in the end, Chef De Palma won the admiration of Joe and his family and was offered the position of executive chef.

Owner Joe Faro is pleased to have Chef De Palma on board: “He is passionate about the concept, the food and the people. He fits in well.”

FN Dish caught up with Chef De Palma on his first day on the job. Watch the video above to find out what the experience has meant for him, the challenges that lie ahead and all that he’s looking forward to as the new executive chef of Tuscan Kitchen.

Just Desserts — Testing the Cutthroat Kitchen Sabotages

Creating tiramisu can be time-consuming, as it involves soaking lady fingers in an espresso mixture and topping them with a sweet mascarpone cheese-ba...

1. FNGossip says:

Good Luck to Chef Anthony! Everyone recognize Jonny from Chopped and Scott from Extreme Chef?

2. Dan says:

Just watched this show and I loved it! Anne is a riot. I loved "you gonna loose this job over a dam bowl of soup?" I can only think of what she would of said had it not going on tv. lol

3. Conchchowder says:

Check out the "after show" dirt on Tully/English with Olives!

4. CMDW says:

Certainly did recognize Chef Johnny….quite a character ! Trying to find out how Chef Anthony is doing now…but can't find any updates on him.

5. Pat says:

I enjoyed this show wishing grat success to Chef Anthony he really stuck it out!

6. Melissa says:

Really enjoyed this show. Great group of qualified chefs. Didn't seem to have any "behind the scenes" politics like last season. Just good chefs cooking their hearts out. Congrats to Chef Anthony.

7. K.gregory says:

I am personally offended by Chef Burells appearance. I have owned/operated over 50 food service establishments.Based on her appearance she would have never made it past the HR iscreener much less earn an interview. Do you really want someone with wild hair flowing around to prepare your food? Ever hear of a toque,beret or chefs hat? She is an embarasement to a proud profession.Sorry but had to make a comment.

• Kate says:

She's not preparing the food, she's just kind of milling around and yelling at people. So who cares what her hair looks like?

• Patrick says:

The only thing embarrassing K. gregory is the judgmental attacks on a fellow chef. I'm assuming you mean a chef when you refer to "someone" with wild hair flowing around to prepare my food? Yes, I would rather have that chef than a chef who can't articulate with professionalism or spell. It makes me wonder what the chances are that my order would be read correctly and prepared to my specifications.

8. tynker says:

great episode!

9. Dan says:

Food network and Anne do need someone to help teach them how to do an update, instead of a video summary.

10. Esther says:

I love Anne Burrell – wild hair and all. However, I am very turned off by the mean-spirited screamer she has become this year on Chef Wanted. Is it really necessary to be mean. Leave that up to Hell's Kitchen. That's the very reason I do not watch that show. Come on, Anne, please go back to your friendly self.

• Chef says:

Apparently u never worked in a real high end kitchen

• remy says:

totally agree – if I had someone with that ' open kitchen -dining ' layout screaming like that – they would HAVE TO GO – that behavior is unacceptable in front of guests.

and the bs over the staff and the messy plating of the pasta- its a pasta restaurant do they need their hands held to plate with common sense ?