- Comments (5)
Whether you’re fighting a winter cold, trying to escape the chill of January air or simply craving winter comfort food, look to hearty bowls of vegetable soup to warm you up in a flash. Check out Food Network’s top five vegetable soup recipes below for no-fail hearty suppers, complete with satisfying seasonal produce. Then tell us in the comments: What’s your favorite warming meal?
5. Ravioli and Vegetable Soup — Best finished with nutty Parmesan cheese, Food Network Magazine‘s quick-cooking soup gets its heft from store-bought cheese ravioli and escarole, a nutrient-rich green.
4. Provencal Vegetable Soup — Ina simmers potatoes, carrots and haricots verts until the vegetables are tender, then mixes in one final key element before serving: pistou, a traditional French mixture of garlic, tomato paste, basil, olive oil and Parmesan cheese.
3. Lentil Vegetable Soup — The secret to making this big-batch bowl is letting the lentils sit in boiling water before cooking them with the soup; this helps the lentils cook quicker later when added to the leeks, celery and carrots.
2. Tuscan Vegetable Soup — Ellie Krieger mixes in both mashed and whole cannellini beans to her rustic soup, laced with fresh chopped sage and thyme plus baby spinach and tomatoes.
1. Garden Vegetable Soup — Watch this video to learn how Alton puts to work a heaping bounty of fresh vegetables including potatoes, green beans, tomatoes and corn to create his hearty bowl, finished with fresh lemon juice before serving.