10 Best Recipes of 2012

by in Recipes, January 1st, 2013

10 Best Food Network Recipes of 2012Food Network users have spoken: traditional, tried-and-true recipes are best. From classic comfort food and side dishes to desserts and dinnertime favorites, Food Network’s top 10 recipes of 2012 are as diverse as they are flavorful. Make a New Year’s resolution to bring a few of these family-friendly dishes to your table in 2013.

10. Banana Bread — Best when topped with a pat of butter, drizzled with honey or served with vanilla ice cream, this five-star recipe is an easy-to-prepare classic that won’t disappoint.

9. Roasted Brussels Sprouts — Ina tosses Brussels sprouts with olive oil and seasoning and bakes them until they’re tender and a warm brown color.

8. Old-Time Beef Stew — Paula adds pinches of allspice and sugar to this stick-to-your-ribs stew.

7. Zucchini Bread — Fragrant cinnamon and nutmeg add warmth and subtle spice to Paula’s five-star dish, made with grated zucchini and chopped walnuts.

6. Peach Cobbler — Paula’s no-fail cobbler features soft, sweet peaches nestled beneath a light and crumbly butter crust.

5. Guacamole — The avocados in Alton’s guacamole get put through a potato masher for uniform smoothness, allowing the textures and bright flavors from tomato and onion to really come through.

4. Good Eats Roast Turkey —With a five-star rating and more than 3,800 user reviews, Alton’s no-fail bird is our most popular turkey recipe.

3. Chicken Parmesan Rollatini — Chicken Parmesan can be super high in calories and fat. Skip the fat but not the cheese or the crunch with this rolled, stuffed version. Serve it alongside creamy polenta.

2. Baked Macaroni and Cheese — Alton tops his cheesy pasta with panko breadcrumbs to add crunch and texture to this decadent dish.

1. Good Eats Meatloaf — Loaded with fresh vegetables and such traditional spices as cayenne pepper and chili powder, this juicy meatloaf is topped with a catsup-cumin glaze.

Non-Pie Desserts That Will Take the Cake This Thanksgiving

Switch up your usual Thanksgiving dessert traditions by introducing sweet cakes to the spread with Food Network's must-have holiday recipes....

1. Karen F says:

The meatloaf is a regular feature at our house and the turkey can't be beat. I've made that turkey for about 5 years now. I love me some Alton Brown.

2. BlakeN says:

How is an meatloaf recipe from 2000 in the top recipes of 2012? It's awesome meatloaf but I don't get your top 10 list.

3. Bill Gatliff says:

Meatloaf is #1 because everything Alton Brown makes is #1. 'Nuff said. :-)

4. Dave says:

No offense, but #9 isn't really a "recipe." It's more of a technique, and perhaps the simplest one imaginable.

5. Clara Johnson says:

Alton Brown is AMAZING. End of story.

6. Warren Plaisance says:

Gee I miss the days when Food Network actually had programming that educated the viewer how to cook.
    Now it's all reality tv blather that does nothing for me. At least they offer the Cooking Channel as a mild substitute. If Alton has 4 of the top ten most searched recipes for 2012, what does that tell you?

• Dewayne says:

I couldn't agree more! The FN needs to get back to what made it successful, cooking! I miss Ming Tsai, Sarah Moulton, Emeril, and of course Good Eats! All of the various "reality/competitive" shows are pure drivel.

• Mizu says:

I wish I got the Cooking Channel. I get Food Network, but there's never anything good on. Just marathons of whatever contest they're currently running.

7. Cassie says:

I don't doubt the skills of any of the chefs who put these recipes together, but surely people are more adventurous than meatloaf . . . .

8. Wincey says:

I've never gone wrong with an Alton Brown recipe, and he taught me everything I know about cooking, which is now pretty substantial. (I've cooked for years, but knew nothing about what I was doing until Good Eats.) I like seeing him on FN, and I'm glad he can teach us about ingredients on ICA, but I sure do miss his show. Still, I suppose he's glad to move on. Sigh!

9. Bill M says:

To me, Alton Brown IS Food Network. It's a sad thing that there are no more Good Eats episodes on the way.

10. Joy Davis says:

I watch all the Good Eats reruns on Cooking Channel and Food Network. I own all of Alton Brown's books. I've purchased several cooking tools based on his recommendation. All this, and I want MORE! Hour long Good Eats please. Give Alton a full hour so he can spread his wings and fly.