Anne’s Top 10 Tips for Pursuing Your Dream Job

by in Food Network Chef, Shows, January 30th, 2013

Anne Burrell Chef WantedNo-nonsense chef Anne Burrell is taking her passion for the culinary industry one step further in an all-new season of Food Network’s Chef Wanted, premiering tomorrow night at 10pm/9c. If the applicants want to impress Anne and the restaurant’s management, they’ll need more than just stellar food chops and a winning resume to score their dream job.

So how can you be sure that you’re going after the right job? And once you’ve secured an interview, what are some things to keep in mind? We recently sat down with Anne and she dished her top tips for finding a job that fits like a glove:

1. Go for a job that you feel that you’re equipped to love.
2. Do research on the restaurant: its clientele, its owner and the area it’s located in.
3. Find out what the staff size is. It’s important to know how much support you’ll have.
4. Ask yourself why you really want this job.
5. Remain cool under pressure.
6. Commit to a strong work ethic — working in restaurants requires long hours.
7. Don’t try to impress your interviewer — just be yourself.
8. Think about your resume early on: Don’t jump around to a lot of restaurants in a short period of time. That’s a red flag and could indicate that you have wanderlust or are difficult to work with.
9. Remember that your consistency is key.
10. Be respectful, be humble, don’t have an attitude and do make really good food — food you love.

Click the play button below to watch a preview of tomorrow’s brand-new season premiere.

Caption It: Rachael vs. Guy: Kids Cook-Off Gets Sandwiched

On this week’s Rachael vs. Guy: Kids Cook-Off, Sandwich King and The Kitchen co-host Jeff Mauro stops by to judge the kids’ creations, whi...

1. Margie W says:

Dear Ones: Taken back by the appearance of your Pro Chef, Ann. If you really knew a thing about cooking, your stomach would not be a protruding elephant like mess. At age 70, having cooked for 60 years- it is clear to me that you are preparing food with loads of fat to provide taste, Real Chefs and good cooks all over the world know better. You have nothing to teach. Margie W

• Pam Niehoff says:

Wrong Margie W.
      Chef Anne Burrell knows what she is doing and does not prepare food with loads of fat. Please educate yourself before you attack one of our culinary masters.

• Chef_of_Love says:

It is important to have fittness as a chef ask Rosendale our CMC representative at Bocuse D'or this year. Go to BocuseD'orusa.com to see a video of the prep, hats off to him and the team!! Anne has put in the work and is a deserving chef, its not a fitness competition or is it? Love ya AB! FAshley

• Margie Can't Cook says:

You're not dear to anyone when you are so nasty. Keep your cooking to yourself old lady, and your comments. Let's hope you don't develop a disgusting goiter who repels everyone who looks at you.

2. pat peterson says:

Marge. You have never watched Anne work a kitchen. Or have never seen her teach. She is a great chef and teacher! Just sit and watch and you will be amazed at her teaching of totally horrible cooks ( !) Into genuine home cooks!

3. Karen F. says:

I love Ann. If it is her show when I turn on the TV, I have to stop and watch. What a personality! She exudes love and passion. I wish I knew her in real life. I am especially fond of her newest show where she helps find an executive chef. Wow! I'd love her food, I know, but that love on her face…can't beat it.

4. Coleen says:

I have cooked Chef Anns recipes since she first appeared on food network. But watching her new show, "Chef Wanted" last night, I was shocked at all of her screaming. Is this just theatrics, or are all of us foodies to believe that this is the climate of all professional kitchens? Seems like she is an amazing chef, but what are we to learn about what kind of a person she is? On the other hand, it all may just be scripted for ratings. I'm hoping for the later.

• Guest says:

That's nothing. Have you heard Chef Gordon Ramsay's Yellings and cursings in real life when he is working in the kitchen?. That sounds scary, even for a regular customer. I feel sorry for his staff.

5. Thomas Ben says:

How do I get an interview for a spot on this show

6. Lisa Schultheis says:

So, as a chef I have worked the line in high volume and fine dining restaurants. I also have worked in a banquet kitchen and run my own catering business. I don't think the show is over dramatized. I've worked with many chefs who get pretty loud. I don't find her to be excessive. I personally am not a screamer but you do have to communicate with your line and command that kitchen. It is definitely not for the mild mannered! Love the show. Would love to have the opportunity.

7. Loinmolsmn says:

Just moving cooks from one channel to Anthony bordains show?

8. My name is Gary Janczynski I owned uglyAmerican for almost 6 years. the restaurant was in Fall River for 4 years then in Providence for almost 2 years, I just closed on Jan 31st.

We have 3 and a half stars on Yelp, and a loyal Facebook following. for some reason my resume do'esnt forward thru I have a paper copy that I can . My cell# is 401-297-7489

I think I would be a good candidate for your show

9. Chef_of_Love says:

Hey its tv, so the entertainment value has to be there, I would never do this to find a chef it does not show "their" skills in the best light. You would need to have a serious job offer going to get me running through traffic to wood fire.

10. Chef_of_Love says:

Some of these folks have great palates but no leadership skills. The line can make you or break you. Weak communication, and running short is poor, esp. on a job interview better to have too much than to 86 esp in 6 minutes! I like Kristianne if I had an opening she would be at the top of my list!