A New Year, a New Food Network Logo

by in News, January 7th, 2013

Food Network LogoLater this year, Food Network will celebrate its 20th anniversary, and since 1997 the brand has had the same iconic logo. Until now. Yesterday, Food Network launched a brand-new logo. For the tried-and-true die-hard fans of the network, don’t fret. As you can see in the image to the left, only small changes have been made to the familiar plate-shaped logo. You’ll soon see the logo integrated into FoodNetwork.com and Food Network Magazine, too.

“Looking to excite our audience, the refresh strategy was to reinvigorate our loyal fan base as we celebrate entering our 20th year,” says Susie Fogelson, Senior Vice President of Marketing and Brand Strategy for Food Network and Cooking Channel. “Food Network has grown and we wanted to freshen up our look and energy to better reflect our evolution into a broader, multiplatform entertainment brand.”

What do you think of the new logo? Tell us in the comments below.

Feast Your Eyes on These Sushi Socks

Rooting around in your sock drawer probably doesn’t make you hungry, but it might if you stocked it with socks that look like sushi. Yup. Feast ...

1. Garnish says:

The new logo has no flavor. It looks hard, cold, and generic.

2. David Zachary says:

The old logo looked like something from a junior high school art class (B-)–An absolute joke. The new one is 1 or 2 percentage points better. But still completely amateur, boring, and uninspired. A COMPLETE missed opportunity to do something cool, current, and relevant. As a creative, it's…depressing when I see work like this. I agree with the post above on how this was so obviously dictated by a commitee seemingly terrified of shaking things up a bit after looking at their market share. They started with a cheap, awful logo, and took a baby step for change. Great job

3. an informed fan says:

hope you didn't pay someone to do that.

4. DMBudd says:

As a design professional, I regretfully agree with many of the comments here. Hardly worth whatever you paid for the changes. Add a gradation, shift the color a degree, add a metallic outline, use a different italic font… these do nothing to reflect a "refreshed" brand. Different is not always better… or necessary. One of many recent redesigns that is ripe for more mockery than respect. And exciting? Don't see anything here to be excited about.

5. Staaly says:

While I do think the old logo was problematic, and this did solve some of those issues, overall the font choice was a poor one. I'm not going to argue whether you should have made a drastic change, or just "refresh" the logo as you did, since I don't know the strategy and market research behind it. Looking at the refresh, I recognize that the old logo font was too thin for the outer shape, and lacked refinement. The bolder font is better. But that is where it ends. The font is way too trendy—it already feels overused and outdated and the logo just launched. The crossbar of the f is too narrow compromising legibility. And the personality seems too male focused (and I am a male) and too aggressive. When I think of food and cooking, and FoodNetwork teaching me how to broaden my skills and knowledge, I think of something more aspirational, and softer. I want to escape into food, not feel like it is another aspect of my already too stressful day. But maybe that is the goal since your programming seems to be more aggressive (restaurant stakeout, chopped, various food wars). Personally I think the old promo screens of bubbles and relaxing music were much more in line with my vision of FoodNetwork, versus the new promo screens which are a retro and aggressive. I prefer the branding of the Cooking Channel by leaps and bounds over FoodNetwork's new (and old) branding. Looking at a lot of the comments above, I'd be curious if this was focus tested, since I'm not seeing any positive feedback toward the logo (although it is much more common for people to write hate mail than love mail) and people fear change.

6. I_like_cake says:

Horrible. Unless you are rebranding as a science or tech channel this makes no sense.

7. Kate says:

horrible and cold. Bring back the old logo or actually make something that doesn't look stupid. Are you trying to push fans away?

8. santa says:

Achieving and maintaining health is an ongoing process, shaped by both the evolution of health care knowledge and practices as well as personal strategies and organized interventions for staying healthy. Thanks.
    Regards,
    green coffee bean extract

9. Joshua says:

“Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon.”

10. So encouraging things are provided here,I really happy to read your post