10 Fun Facts About Chef Wanted’s Host and Mentor Anne Burrell

by in Food Network Chef, Shows, January 26th, 2013

Anne BurrellAnne Burrell may be known to most Food Network fans as the force behind her show, Secrets of a Restaurant Chef, or the author of the New York Times Best Seller, Cook Like a Rock Star. But did you know that Anne Burrell was once a teacher at the Institute of Culinary Education? After cooking at a Michelin one-star restaurant in Italy and New York hot spots Felidia, Savoy and Centro Vinoteca, she took the opportunity to spread her culinary knowledge and passion as a teacher and mentor to students.

On January 31 (10pm/9c), Anne Burrell will be putting her mentor hat back on as she helps top restaurants find an executive chef — the critical employee who can make or break a restaurant — on Chef Wanted. Each week, Anne Burrell will put four candidates through the toughest job interview of their lives, testing everything from their culinary mettle to business acumen. It all ends with the biggest test of all: running the restaurant.

Before it all starts, get to know Chef Anne Burrell better with these fun facts:

1. She’s helped Mario Batali (one of her own most influential mentors) compete in more than 20 Iron Chef America battles as his sous chef.

2. Chef Anne Burrell first met Mario Batali in a wine shop.

3. You’ll never catch Anne eating calf’s liver.

4. She can’t live without a food mill.

5. She would go crazy if she had to work in an office.

6. Her socks never match — she grabs two and goes.

7. She’s a Yankees fan.

8. If she has to choose between a meatball and a burger, her alliance lies with meatballs.

9. She’s always had wild hair. Especially in high school – she’s always liked spiky hair.

10. She wishes she would get picked up by Cash Cab.

Explore America’s Best-Ever Pizzas, BBQ, Breakfasts and Burgers on All-New Series

When you consider classic eats like pizza, barbecue, breakfast and burgers, there’s surely no shortage of restaurants at which to find them; fro...

1. @skfo1950 says:

Will Secrets of a Restaurant Chef be renewed in 2013?

2. JLG says:

When you are passionate (and you are about what you do), and sometimes hugely critical, verging on scarey it is only because you want the best out of the people you have belief in. Keep scaring these people into greatness. As they say, "Each day do something that scares you a little." Keep spinning your magic.

3. Judy says:

She is gay. Searched it on Google.

• Deb says:

And that is important why? She is a wonderful person and a great mentor to those who accept her assistance. I love her shows!

• kay says:

Part of getting to know someone that's all–she didn't say anything negative. Chill.

• Missy says:

The question posted was asking if she was married and said "she never mentions her husband", so Judy ANSWERED the question of why she doesn't speak of her husband, is because she is gay. NOTHING negative was said. Why so defensive. Simple question, simple answer. Sheesh! Calm down.

• cjmo2662 says:

So what? She has the right to be who she is, and she also has the right to her privacy, which is probably why she keeps her personal life totally separate from what people see on TV. It's her own business and doesn't detract from her ability to be an awesome chef!

• kay says:

So defensive-we see her niece, know all about her childhood from her own comments–lots of personal info. You make a problem by pointing up all the defensive crap. No one was putting her down.

• Grace Ann Hahl says:

I think you mean she's lesbian.

4. Stephen Redihan says:

She's cool!

5. Debbi says:

You all take things to serious. This is television, they do and say the things that sound harsh or crtitical to make it more interesting. It is after a show. Ann keep up the great work I love all your shows and think you should have been the next Iron Chef too.

6. Rosaitalia says:

Somone needs to edit these posts for grammar and spelling. The Italian nine year old had a well written post. But the others….one needs to write clearly to be undersood. I like Anne, too, but I would like to know more about her early life years. I like to know the story because I feel it comes out in the cooking?

• Robby says:

I agree with your remarks about the spelling. Americans cannot spell, for heaven's sake!, which points out some serious problems with our educational system and the fact that people shorten words when texting and then keep those bad habits. We have spell-check on our computers but most have no idea how to use them.

• C Vera S says:

It's "understood" – not "undersood" That's OK. I spelled Anne's name without the "E" in one of my posts!

7. john guenther says:

I'm a combat veteran executive ( which is the most abused title in the biz) chef w/40 yrs of FATIGUE and wounds. This show realistically shows the intense PRESSURE we are under but the premise is bullshit!! To try and run a "top notch" kitchen in one day w/ a BRAND new menu & surroundings w/ a bombed dining room is ridiculous!!! I will NOT watch this B.S. You civilians think this is FUN!!?? You have no idea (+ add no shows for employees… YIPEE!!! what FUN…. 10 -12 -14 HRS a day 6 days a week… Who the HELL is stupid enuf to volunteer for this "career" This is the first post I have ever done…anywhere…. GOD bless their bodies & SOULS… AMEN (I'm a long time C.I.A. grad and it's mostly the worst job in the world.

8. Patricia says:

Anne out of all the food network and the cooking channel your my very best favorite of all. You inspire me and make me laugh. Your dishes always look so good even if I don't like what your making. Your the best.!

9. Sue says:

Anne, I've recently read where you're sick of seeing yourself all over the place. Well, I like you. I will continue to watch you, but yes, I agree. You are completely overexposed these days. Everywhere I turn, there you are. You're looking great these days with weight loss, but – this is constructive criticism – please tone the hair down now that you have a much slimmer face. Your hair is you, but could be 'slimmed down'. Please stop screaming at the future chef's…that action I'm sure, doesn't match your true personality and makes one not want to continue watching the verbal abuse.

10. neal newby says:

My name is Neal Newby i live in a small town in illinois called jacksonville. I have worked as a chef for most of my carer. I started in vfw's and moved up to country clubs. I trained under a certified executive chef from the cia in new york. I have done things from fried catfish to pulled and blown sugar to ice scuplting and just a general education in most common area's of food. I am extremely passionate about food!! I recently was suspended from work for some bogus circumstances. Not even related to work in any way! this was my first head chef position and things were starting to come together. beautiful place in napples called the boatel. i use fresh fish right off the river the best food and equipment you could ask for. And now i sit watching my baby go to crap because of politics. In short I am a smart very talented chef that is extremely passionate and driven all I need is someone to give me a chance to shine the sky is the limit but due to the area i live in the average pay for a cook is around $9.00 an hour. which is not enough to even live on let alone raise a family. I don't know who this may reach but i am driven and talented and looking to work i'm no stranger to 16 hour day's were my salary broke down to about $4.00 dollars an hour! I just need a chance. I am willing to relocate and travel just looking to earn my way through life I have no desire to sit and soak off the government I'm ready to work just need a chance to show what i can do! i hope this reaches someone that will give me that chance!! I promise i wont disapoint!! EMAIL: newbanator@yahoo.com