Chatting With the Latest Next Iron Chef: Redemption Exile

by in Shows, December 9th, 2012

nullThe fifth season of The Next Iron Chef: Redemption is in full swing with now only five familiar chefs battling it out again to prove they’ve got the skills to win the ultimate prize: the title of Iron Chef.

Each chef will try to pull out all their tricks to stay in the competition but, ultimately, one chef must go home each week. Every Sunday, FN Dish brings you exclusive exit interviews with the latest chef to go home.

This week, the remaining rival chefs traveled to the culinary mecca of Las Vegas. Faced with a challenge of marrying culinary odd couples, Chef Jehangir Mehta was sent to the Secret Ingredient Showdown for his bone marrow and candy dish. While Chef Mehta certainly proved that he belonged in this competition, Sin City was the end of the road for him. He lost the culinary gamble of a lifetime after falling to Chef Appleman due to over-spiced shrimp.

Throughout the season and especially in the last episode, there was a focus on spices and your passion for them. What are three of your favorite spices?

JM: My food is all about spices. I love pairing them in ways people would not expect, as I believe they totally transform food. Although I love them all, fennel, turmeric and cumin would be my top three. Not only are they healthy, but they are also very versatile.

What one or two spices would you suggest to readers to start using which are possibly under-utilized?

JM: I would rank cumin and asafetida (this spice has a flavor reminiscent of leeks) as the most under-utilized spices.

It seemed that you specifically disagreed with Donatella’s comments this season. Was that true or just the way viewers saw it?

JM: I have great respect for Donatella and everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Most of the time, I use the judges’ feedback as a learning experience. I am a creative person, however, and I take risks. I make food that makes most people happy.

You came to this competition to redeem yourself. Even though you didn’t win, you certainly had a great run with some delicious dishes. What was your most memorable moment of the season and what’s next for you?

JM: Yes, I wanted this bad, but I respect the judges’ decision. Just look out for me, for I will be back. I think I received redemption in the very first challenge this season because that’s what cost me the title in 2009. Currently, I’m waiting on the liquor license to open my third restaurant, Graffiti Me & You, which is all about a personalized experience. Bring us whatever you want and we will create an experience around it.

Of the remaining rival chefs, who do you consider a serious contender for the title?

JM: I think Chef Guarnaschelli has been strong all throughout the season and has a great shot at it, but I wish Chef Appleman all the best, too, as he is a wonderful chef.

Read more about Chef Jehangir Mehta

Relive the episode and take a look at an extended preview of next week’s episode below (click the play button):

“You Think That Twins Are Connected? No” — Alton’s After-Show

For the first time in Cutthroat Kitchen history, the limits of evilicious sabotage were tested tonight as two sets of twins took their places in the n...

1. Hopeful says:

I would really like to see a plot twist where Faulkner and Mehta are brought back…maybe for being runner-ups in previous seasons.

• noFalk4U says:

I think for the sake and sanctity of the Iron Chef franchise that like a soap opera they should 'kill' their characters off SO they can't bring em back year after year.

OK, maybe for drama (and at least a 3 year hiatus) they could bring 1 or 2 characters back in soap opera fashion…

2. Carlo says:

Reality Tv at its worst. Fixed and scripted.

3. downnotout says:

bumping uglies

4. minne girl says:

I am seriously getting disappointed in these judges. It should have never been the 2 guys in the bottom Alex should have automatically been one of them. If your going to choose the winner of the challenge by the difficulty of their ingredients then why would you keep someone who continuously brings ho hum food. Not to mention they couldn't taste the peppermint isn't that the same as not finishing a dish. It is so bias to the food network chefs. I also think that Jeffrey should NOT be judging his own current line chef in the stadium. Alex is a whiner and a baby its time for her to back it up and go….if she does win looks like i have one less show i will watch!!!

5. Shiela says:

Have you noticed that FN winner and the person who gets maximum votes is always the same whether it is NIC or Next FN star. That is evidence itself that it is rigged.

6. jln says:

Their breasts are definitely touching but I don't know about their other lady parts…

7. Mat says:

I wish I were between. Canoodling with Mehta is one of my FN fantasies.

8. guest says:

I used to like Zacharian until I leaned he was cheating his employees out of wages. When they put together a class action lawsuit, he declared bankruptcy. What a creep. No integrity at all, and we are supposed to believe he has integrity as a judge? Puh-leese!

9. nextironcheffan says:

When Chef Faulkner got eliminated it pissed me off.From last week episode,when Chef Appleman,was in the secret ingrident challenge.I was liked please let him be eliminated.But no……he gets away with it and continue on for tommrow episode.I'm gonna cross my finger that tommrow Chef Appleman or Chef Alex goes home.All of the sudden Next Iron Chef redemption,is starting to be an bit of an disappointment.

10. mpf1961 says:

After last season when Zacharian cheated at the beginning and should never have been able to go on and win, this "competition" is a bunch a crap. As someone else said, watch for "entertainment" and learn new ways to cook.

• amandafan says:

"watch for "entertainment" and learn NEW ways to cook."

Unless you're watching Alex – she is less inspired than most home cooks…