You Asked, Giada Answered: How Giada Throws the Perfect Party

by in Entertaining, Food Network Chef, Holidays, December 26th, 2012

YouTube Preview Image
We recently asked Food Network fans on Twitter to send their party-themed questions to an entertaining pro, Giada de Laurentiis. Just in time for New Year’s Eve, Giada shares tips to ensure you enjoy your own party, as much as your guests do. Click the play button above to watch Giada answer fan questions and get some of her party recipes below.

How much of the food should be prepared before a party?

When I entertain I try and have as much of the food prepared in advance as possible, especially appetizers. Try and prep the salad and the remaining dishes that are room temperature.

Try these recipes: Pea Pesto Crostini, Mini Italian Club Sandwiches and Cheese-Stuffed Dates With Prosciutto

What kind of dishes should be made during a party?

I always like to leave one dish that I have to make during the party because I want it to be nice and hot for everybody.

Try this recipe: Pizzettes With Caramelized Onions, Goat Cheese and Prosciutto

Besides the food, what sorts of DIY things do you like to do when you host a party?

I like to set up a cocktail table and come up with one themed drink. And I like people to assemble the drink themselves — it starts conversations.

Try this recipe: Ginger Apple Martini

How do you wrap up a party politely when guests linger a bit too long?

Before the party starts, Todd and I have a conversation about what time we want the party to end. Todd will take a look at his watch and he’ll start doing the dishes — we hope our guests will see that and understand it’s time to wrap up the party.

Do you have any tips for staying calm that allow you to enjoy the party, too?

I stay calm by planning as much as I can ahead of time. Not only the food, but the platters, setting the table, etc. Also, don’t worry about asking for help because guests love to help.

How do you throw a large party when seating is limited?

Set up a little buffet. I tell people they can sit wherever they want — couches, the kitchen, etc. That way you can set your own ambiance.

5 Edible Holiday Centerpiece Ideas That Will Wow Your Guests

These fun, creative edible centerpieces are sure to be the star of any holiday party, and they're easy enough for kids to help with. ...

1. THAT WAS AWESOME GIADA:-) GOOD TIPS:-)__WITH MY FAMILY 2 SEND THEM HOME WE GET POLITICAL. LOL

2. margie says:

giada's appetizer style food preparation is hardly "perfect party preparation", but rather the antithesis. she spends more time putting dishes in the sink than actually preparing food. and when the food is prepared, it's enough to serve an anemic and anorexic teen. we just don't like her style of cold pasta dishes and sandwiches. it's not appealing. if we ever tune in to the first 5 minutes of the show to see what is on the menu, it's the same old same old – cold pasta that she puts in tupperware and eats in the car, and cupcakes. who is her audience ? a kindergarten class ? try and make something rich, and delicious and substantial and impressive…..a cohesive meal that people want the recipes for. i dare you. i know she can't do it. never has. rather is more concerned with cleaning dishes, throwing wrappers in the trash, and an end presentation that looks like "airline food "! YUCK !!!

3. downnotout says:

I come for the breasts… However, I would eat just about anything she plated for me as long as I could smell her sweet fragrance as I stare at that fit little body. Of course I would wear ear plugs…

4. Victor says:

looking for a receipt i saw on a recent show (giada) it looked like linguinni, eggs, prociuttto and cheese baked in muffin pan. did not catch what it was called. anyone who knows email me at vmetoyer@charter.net thanks

5. downnotout says:

WOW, can they put more makeup on Giada?

She looks like a little girl who got into her mom's makeup kit. It looks like a mask that she is carrying on the front of her grill.

Giada, you are beautiful – let a more natural look shine through!

6. Bean says:

Agree completely about the portions. In one show, she was preparing a filet of beef for four and pulled out what looked like a pound of meat! Then she served it with a thick mushroom sauce and nothing else! She did have a teeny-weenie dessert. If I served my friends a meal like that, they'd send me a gift certificate to the meat market, along with the thank you note. And, sad to say, only one or two of her recipes that I tried we're moderately good (sun dried tomato jam comes to mind). She needs to spend less effort trying to be cute and perky and more time working on some luscious main courses. Give me Ina and Ann Burell any day .

7. I like your concept about arrange a perfect party. Actually we the ladies have to great concern about our party make up to be the perfect matching with any parties. So your info about arranging a perfect party also means that be perfect on any party. Thanks and be continue…..

8. Free Samples says:

Fantastic video footage about Giada's answer! I have seen this video very attentively and by noticing this video i have got lots of tips that how to arrange perfect party which will be very effective when i will arrange my birthday party in near future as well. So thanks to Giada for her valuable tips.

9. sohbet says: