Fans React to a Fallen Favorite

by in Shows, December 7th, 2012

Chef Elizabeth FalknerThe Next Iron Chef Fan Post of the WeekShocking to say the least, Chef Elizabeth Falkner’s elimination last Sunday night was downright powerful and emotional, not only for Chef Falkner, her fellow chefs and the judges, but also you, Next Iron Chef fans. After all, given her string of successful Showdown wins and a first-place finish in the Chairman’s Challenge of Transformation, Chef Falkner seemed to be on the fast track to Redemption glory, and fans were just waiting for her to finally claim the title of The Next Iron Chef. On Sunday, however, things took a troublesome turn and, in a moment of striking déjà vu, she crumbled in the Chairman’s ingredient auction and a head-to-head Showdown against the rival she had chosen, just like Chef Anne Burrell did in this challenge last season. Despite a smart Caesar salad and fried anchovies, Chef Falkner was told that she would not become The Next Iron Chef, and within minutes, fans Tweeted @FoodNetwork and took to our Facebook timeline and blog to express their disappointment, confusion and sadness over her early exit.

Questioning Chef Falkner’s quick decline on the road to redemption, K. Patrice Williams posted a comment on Facebook (pictured above) that speaks to both Chef Falkner’s highest and lowest moments of the competition. “I can believe I cried when they eliminated her. I’m still shocked. I was convinced she was going to be The Next Iron Chef. How does someone [go from making] the best dessert any of the judges have ever tasted to getting eliminated the next week?” she wondered, echoing the sentiments of fellow Falkner fans.

The Next Iron Chef Fan PostAnother at-home viewer, Veronica @VeroHime, was less confused than saddened about Chef Falkner’s elimination. She Tweeted, “Disappointed with the decision on Next Iron Chef. Chef Falkner can cook circles around all the remaining chefs there. So sad she’s gone. :(” Like Veronica, Chef Falkner’s fellow Redemption rivals and the judges’ panel were sorry to see her leave, all of them realizing how badly she had worked for and wanted to win the title.

What did you think of last Sunday’s episode and Chef Falkner’s elimination? Do you think Chef Falkner deserved to be sent home on account of her dishes’ technical flaws, or should she have been pardoned given the amount of risk she took? And what is it about the now-notorious ingredient auction that makes it so difficult? Join the #NextIronChef conversation and tell us what you think in the comments below.

There’s still time to support your favorite remaining rival chefs. Cast your Fan Vote up to 10 times per day, and tune in Sunday at 9pm/8c to see which chefs shine in Sin City.

Guy Fieri on the Family Dynamics at Play on Triple G: Family Style

Guy Fieri reveals what makes the upcoming Guy's Grocery Games: Family Style competition so unique....

1. chris flores says:

this round was about risk, she did made a meal that was all about risk,he did not

2. Baked with Aloha says:

As many other Food Network and Iron Chef fans have expressed, I felt so disappointed that Chef Elizabeth Falkner was eliminated because she exemplifies the techniques, creativity, risk-taking and passion that Iron Chefs are known for. Even more impressive, she captured so many fans during the competition because she is a very real, likeable person. Other Next Iron Chef competitors have not gotten this type of response when they were eliminated. It's hard to believe that Chef Zakarian can be neutral in judging a co-worker he's worked with on Chopped (Chef Alex Guarnaschelli) and in judging others that he competed against last season. I suggest the Food Network have a people's choice for judge slots going forward.

3. Mr. Deezo says:

She was probably the best of this group. I just wished that she had not used the fish scales in the Chairman's Auction, and then she would not have been in the Secret Ingredient Showdown with Appleman ! Not to worry she's not going away, In fact don't be surprized to see her on a show soon. Going forward, I'm going for Amanda Freitag. She has the skills and the personallity. Alex is great also, But sometimes her presentations need to be more creative.

4. pizzazz says:

Not watching any more since Falkner elimination.

5. Ron Bertram says:

I am still in shock about Elizabeth Falkners loss. She should be an Iron Chef this Lady has more tricks up her sleeve than Houdini ever thought of having. I am heart broken for Elizabeth…

6. ymartinez80 says:

Ridiculous, Ridiculous, Ridiculous!!!! This is the 1st time I can say I'm NOT watching the Next Iron Chef thats how disappointed I am. I know my opinion may not do much but I know fanatics do play a huge part. I feel Chef Falkner was Robbed of a chance to be in the final. I've seen other chefs make major mistake with their dishes and are still participating. FN should consider Americas votes and bring her back!!!!!!

7. Stacy says:

I do not deny that there are some fantastic chef's on NIC-Redemption; however it seems rigged. A Chopped judge should not be allowed to judge two of his Chopped team. Especially since one of them serves as his sous chef in Kitchen Stadium. Where is Michael Symon for this season-wouldn't that have been more fair and avoided all this declaration of shenaningans? Then if Alex or Amanda won nobody could say a word about it. I have felt from the start of the season that this show has been rigged up for Alex or Amanda, in part for this reason. And it is really too bad, because I want a female Iron Chef in the worst way.

I have had the luck and pleasure to eat at Citizen Cake in San Francisco before it closed. Elizabeth Faulkner's food there was among the best I have ever eaten. I rooted for her all the way last season and was geniunely shocked by her elimination this season. I think the most Iron Chef worthy competitor was knocked out here.

I am now going to root for Marcel who while half the chef Elizabeth is will shake things up with his brash approach. I actually don't think I can watch Iron Chef with Alex…sorry.

8. Luanne says:

Yes, with EF eliminated I can't believe I may not watch the show at all next time and I was a big fan!

9. Dee says:

I've lost a lot of respect for this show. Often I detect some contrived drama and things being taken out of context, but this is really stepping into the danger zone. There is no way that GZ can be completely unbiased and it is an inappropriate time/situation for him to be sitting as a judge. EF was my front runner and I didn't detect anything that should have changed that. UNCOOL. If FN is looking for drama and a way to upset its viewers, I say DONE DEAL. But I assure you, nothing will shake my interest in your programming like a BLATANT LACK OF INTEGRITY. WAY UNCOOL.

• rob says:

it's all contrived to have chef Guarnaschelli as the next iron chef. It's all rigged. They had to get rid of chef Falkner because she can cook rings around chef Guarnaschelli and they had to lessen the playing field.

• Max says:

I totally agree with you. They have eliminated the great chefs who happens to be a way better chef than Alex G. It's just time for them to crown her the next iron chef and when it's time to cook in kitchen stadium against the elite chefs she will be unable to deliver. I'm not watching it anymore.

10. Sharon says:

I'm glad she was eliminated. I didn't like her last season and liked her even less this season. She would not have been a good addition to the Iron Chef series. I am rooting for Amanda and Alex. Much better chefs and personalities too .