Chatting With the Latest Next Iron Chef: Redemption Exile

by in Shows, December 2nd, 2012

Chef Elizabeth Falkner and Chef Nate ApplemanThe fifth season of The Next Iron Chef: Redemption is in full swing with now only six familiar chefs battling it out again to prove they’ve got the skills to win the ultimate prize: the title of Iron Chef.

Each chef will try to pull out all their tricks to stay in the competition but, ultimately, one chef must go home each week. Every Sunday, FN Dish brings you exclusive exit interviews with the latest chef to go home.

The second victim of the ingredient auction, Chef Elizabeth Falkner, failed to impress the judges with an over-seasoned pasta dish and caused the most-emotional elimination moment of the season to date with fellow rival chefs and even the judges.

You had the advantage this episode and part of that was judging your own peers. What was that like?

EF: This advantage was a disturbing setup because it was déjà vu — Anne Burrell went through the exact same scenario last season. It was all too familiar to me. I like judging and competing, but the combination is difficult, especially when it’s solely based on just one dish to put someone on the bottom, and you just know that you’re probably going to be pitted against them.

In episode 3, Chef Freitag used anchovies in her dish to describe you and ultimately anchovies brought you down. Are anchovies foes or friends of yours now?

EF: I love anchovies and use them all over my menu at my new restaurant, Krescendo. In fact, one of my signature dishes is the Fregola Con Le Sarde, which has anchovies and sardines along with fennel and saffron in a typical Sicilian pasta dish. I don’t think the anchovies brought me down. I think the fact that I made what I did in 30 minutes is an accomplishment and I disagree with letting me go from that Showdown.

Do you think the auction challenge is cursed? You mentioned déjà vu earlier.

EF: Not cursed, but the setup makes for good TV.

Your final reaction was saddening for everyone to watch — it even brought tears to Simon’s eyes. What are your final thoughts about your elimination?

EF: I love seeing what the other chefs and I come up with for any of the random ingredients, especially given the time and environmental constraints thrown at us. I like portraying a superhero and I think I do a good job at it. I love to cook and think I try to push the Iron Chef concept for myself and the audience. I am being true to myself in these competitions.

If it were even possible, would you try for the title a third time?

EF: In a heartbeat! I would go for the gold again.

Relive the episode and take a look at an extended preview of next week’s episode below (click the play button):

Vote on Your Least-Favorite Foods as a Kid — Rachael vs. Guy: Kids Cook-Off

On this past Sunday’s episode of Rachael vs. Guy: Kids Cook-Off, the kids faced one of their toughest challenges yet, cooking their least-liked ...

1. Yvonne says:

I agree Falkner got robbed. Appleman should have went home since according to the judge's you couldn't taste the anchovies, which WAS the secret ingredient. The anchovies came out in Falkner's dish she just over seasoned. I firmly think she was robbed last year and this year. And i agree I hope she gets her own show or they find a way to fix this huge mistake. I have watched every season of this show and of Food network Star. But until this is fixed, I WILL NOT BE WATCHING ANY FOOD NETWORK SHOWS AT ALL. Because apparantly results are fixed.

2. Becky says:

Chef Falkner is a great chef. This is a television program, however, and personality counts as much as ability. The judges are trying to select a chef who will enhance the viewer numbers. That is what it's all about! You can read a book and learn how to cook. That is not the point of "Iron Chef." I

3. AJJ says:

Anyone who doesn't understand that this show was and is completely rigged is a fool. Now, let's compare this. Last year, Chef Burrell, a female, had the advantage, put someone in the bottom per the advantage, just happen to end up in the bottom herself, and ended up being eliminated. Chef Faulkner, a female, had the advantage, put someone in the bottom per the advantage, just happened to end up in the bottom herself, and ended up being eliminated. Wow, that's an awful lot of coincidences. Really Food Network? You could at least put in a bit of effort to not show the audience how completely set up and fixed the "competition" really is.

4. michelle says:

i think zacharian is carrying garnacelli and frettag protecting them each and every challenge. it is so obvious and you have now lost me as a viewer. i thought judges do just that and were to be impartial. however, zacharian is no judge.

5. Guest says:

I'm so upset Chef Falkner was eliminated, she is such a skilled chef and brings so much dignity to the show. Zakarian should not be judging this competition, he is a newbie Iron Chef and has a bias for his friends Alex and Amanda. No point in watching the show any further, my two favorites have been eliminated and the rest are just soso chefs.

6. tdubyat says:

I have to admit that Zacharian should not be a judge. He has won nothing but the opportunity to be an IC and his continual relationship and covering for Alex G is disappointing. The fact that he lacks integrity and FOOD Network allows integrity to be thrown out the window with the theft of the beef tongue says a lot about what they believe in. I am disappointed that Alex was not immediately kicked from the IC her willingness to steal to win shows just the depravity she is willing to stoop to win. If I were any of their personalities i would step away from the corruption and move on…..

7. FN Fan No More says:

I am done with Food Network. I have watched every Next Iron Chef competition and am appalled that FN would have a judge that seemingly is a conflict of interest. And why a Iron Chef as one of the three judges, especially the newest one whom I have not seen win one competition yet. Chef Guarnaschelli dishes throughout the episodes were not near the winning dishes of the other chefs. Week after week I could not believe she lived to cook another day. This competition is so fixed and phony!

8. AmandaKat says:

I do not hate Chef Faulkner, however she was not who I was going for to win. It seems silly that so many people get so negative about this show! Faulkner fans seem to bring out the claws over the elimination to Appleman. Great Chefs go home all the time on these type of shows, she may have had an off day or competition. Were you there tasting the dish she plated? There can only be one winner, being eliminated never said she had no skill or talent. Why blame Food Network? They are the ones who got Faulkner where she is today and the fame and recognition, I doubt they are out to get her. It is funny to me that most Faulkner fans, not all, make such a fuss over her being eliminated and then proceed to complain how rigged it is for Alex to win, so why waste your time with such negativity? She would've gone home anyways for Alex to win. I also think the negative comments towards other Chefs is immature, I do not prefer Faulkner but I still think she has talent and skill. Why do you feel obligated to trash Faulkner's competitors? In her defense? It just makes Faulkner and her fans look bad. Go out with your head up, that will get more people to notice her skills that got eliminated and not the poor loser. Don't count Faulkner out yet, she will be very successful because of FOOD NETWORK whether she won or not. Spend your time enjoying the show and laugh about it and enjoy Faulkner's successes with her instead of focusing on her missteps and trashing everyone in her path.

9. Lady says:

Why because he is protecting and judgmental? Well read what you wrote.. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree sweetheart. Protecting Chef Faulkner and being judgmental. Guess you couldn't be a judge either, easier to point fingers isn't it?

10. ZakarianRoxz says:

@AmandaKat I agree with EVERYTHING you said, Faulkner fans need to get a grip! Zakarian is refined pure talent!