What’s Cooking on Thanksgiving Live!

by in Holidays, Shows, November 18th, 2012

Thanksgiving Live! ChefsWhat happens when nine Food Network stars come together in the kitchen around the holidays? If you guessed a whole lot of cooking, eating and drinking, then you are correct. This afternoon, Alex Guarnaschelli, Alton Brown, Aarón Sanchez, Bobby Flay, Giada De Laurentiis, Jeff Mauro, Rachael Ray, Ree Drummond and Sunny Anderson will gather in Food Network Kitchens for Thanksgiving Live!, Food Network’s annual call-in show, to answer all of your Turkey Day questions and cook up a holiday feast from start to finish. Want to see what’s on the menu this year? Take a peek at the recipes below, and be sure to catch the show from 12 p.m. to 2 p.m.

Cocktails and Appetizers
Alton’s Concord Grape Royale
Aarón’s Hot Punch (Ponche)
Jeff’s Maple Perfect Manhattan

Giada’s Green Beans With Lemon Vinaigrette and Almonds
Rachael’s Double Stuffed Butternut Squash

Desserts
Alex’s Citrus Flan
Alex’s Raspberry Crumble Tart
Sunny’s Fried Apple and Pear Ice Cream

What to Watch: Celebrating Tomato Season on The Kitchen and Bold Flavors from the Grill with Bobby Flay

Get ready for some bold summer recipes and all-new competition this weekend on Food Network. First, join Trisha Yearwood as she cooks up her favorite ...

1. Julie Gonzales says:

I make a traditional stuffing and was wanting to know it is safe for me to stuff my bird with the dressing? some people say that it is not safe.

• Stacy says:

I wouldn't suggest it. You have to get the stuffing up to the safe zone and it's stuffed in the large cavity with raw juices. By the time you get it up to temp., the bird's is too dry. You cook the bird until done, then the stuffing's still not safe and your family will spend the next few days sitting on the john and/or kneeling on the porcelain throne.

• Barbara says:

My family has always stuffed the turkey and never once did anyone get sick from it. And we're talking about 75 years at least of doing this. I know it's now said that this technique is not safe, but as long as you follow the basic rules of cleanliness and temps, like I said no one in my family ever became ill from eating the dressing that was inside the bird.

2. Tiffany Hess says:

Im trying to make a turkey with Alton Brown's recipe and I have people that are coming that are very picky and want try new things. is there any suggestions where I can do the brine and please my picky people.

• food4thespirit says:

Tiffany: I brine my turkey every year and I don't have fridge space for it. I also live in Texas so I don't always have the luxury of an ice-cold garage, but here's what I do: I got a large 5 gal bucket from my local deli (ask for a pickle bucket – they usually have dozens to spare). I concoct a mixture of 2 gals of cold water with 1.5 cups of salt, 1.5 cups of brown sugar and make sure these are both fully dissolved (I don't find it necessary to heat it). Then I add two oranges and two lemons sliced, and a mix of fresh sage, rosemary and thyme (you can sometimes find these packaged together as "stuffing blend" – that's about the right amount). Add in the turkey and then top with a gallon of ice cubes, cover and put in the garage or other cool, out-of-the-way spot. I usually put mine in on Wednesday morning. If you're concerned about the temp, check it on Wednesday night and add more ice if needed. Come Thursday I take it out, drain and pat it dry then deep-fry or roast. Hope this helps.

3. galina says:

can i cook cranberries with water and sugar and get them like cherrie pie feeling to add in to the cake layers?

4. Bonnie Lamb says:

Gravy!!! When visiting my friends home one year in Kaplan, Louisina, her mother showed me how to make a rough. From light to the very darkest she showed me that the wonderful paste could be used in almost anything. She stored a batch in the frig to add to whatever she wanted. I have been told by other culinary folks that most chefs can not do it. I have her to thank. I make as large a batch as possible and put it away so I do not have to stand over the stove every time. PATIENCE!!! That is what it takes. Alot of it. Once that is done I never have leftovers. A great gravy like bacon can go along way and I am always asked for the recipe. I will give it to folks but it is labeled PATIENCE. After that I am on my way and can pull it out anytime I need it.

5. Anna says:

Would love to see the recipe for Sunny's chicken and pumpkin "empanada" recipe. That sounded amazing! Why isn't it included in the list of recipes?

6. mary lopez says:

what is the best way to brine a turkey and for how long

7. mary lopez says:

whats the best way to brine a turkey and for how long

8. Elizabeth Kid says:

How do you cook or make brussel sprots?

• galina says:

i love it with olive oil, thyme and chicken broth :-) salt and garlic

• Dalygirls3 says:

My children (one named Elizabeth), ages 8 and 11, love brussel sprouts but only if I sautee them in a frying pan with garlic & olive oil. You really should use fresh; however I have used defrosted and drained frozen in a pinch…

• Taylor says:

I was at Sam's Club the other day and they made an amazing easy side dish with Brussels spouts, asparagus, red onion, and bacon, pre cooked. Just cut them all up, and sauté them in butter and lemon pepper seasoning. She did it in-store so it has to be easy!! Also lots of people went back for seconds.

• cherrycooks says:

Snip off the bottoms and remove tough outer leaves. If the sprouts are large, cut them in half. Drizzle them with olive oil, season with salt and pepper, toss gently to coat. Roast the Brussels Sprouts on a baking sheet for 15-20 minutes at 375*. Sprinkle with shredded Parmesan cheese, if desired.

9. dalygirls3 says:

Has anyone besides my family ever heard of oatmeal stuffing? My mom made it and it was everyone's favorite. This will be our first Thanksgiving without her and I will be cooking it in her honor… I wanted to ask a question about seasonings to add..

10. nrs14340 says:

Gravy: When I was little, my mom showed me how to make a paste of flour and Cold water. I would gradually add enough cold water to make it to a roux consistency. Then she would add the roux to the boiling drippings, stirring constantly. You could make it as large a batch or small as you needed to thicken the gravy to your liking. To make it even easier, use Wondra (brand) flour and you can put it in a shaker. to mix the roux. For turkey gravy, I cook my giblets with onion, celery, salt, pepper and poultry seasoning the day before. Cool, taking the neck meat off the bone. Strain the broth and put all the cooked celery, onion, meat & gizzards (chopped) into a blender. Puree & refrigerate the broth and giblets together. About 1 hour before dinner, I bring the broth and giblets to a boil and add the pan drippings. Add the roux to make the gravy the consistency you want.