Taking the Rules Seriously – Critical Moments

by in Shows, November 26th, 2012

Chefs Vigneron and Mendelsohn with Alton BrownI am not sure that any chef would be pleased to be informed that they had to produce a meal almost entirely from the contents of a can. But if you want to become The Next Iron Chef, those are exactly the sort of obstacles that you have to overcome.

Chef Falkner’s mystery can contained a substance as far removed from USDA prime beef as I am from Brad Pitt. Despite this, she astounded everyone at the judging plinth by producing a dish so fine that it would have been acceptable in some of the best restaurants on the planet. It really was that good.

Chefs Mendelsohn and Vigneron, however, were far less successful. Chef Mendelsohn’s dish lacked balance, while the salt levels in Chef Vigneron’s dish drew the words “inedible” from all three judges and Alton Brown. It made it pretty obvious that these two high school friends would be competing against each other in the Secret Ingredient Showdown.

I felt that their decision to plate and present their lobster dishes on the same plate was slightly silly and a little bit disrespectful to both the competition and the other chefs. I would have been quite happy to grant them their wish of being judged together and send them both packing. In the end, however, all the judges decided that even if these two chefs did not take the rules seriously, we had to.

Going on that basis, Chef Vigneron’s ability to combine seafood and fruit without making me want to retch meant that he got my vote ahead of Chef Mendelsohn’s nourishing and well-made Malaysian Lobster Laksa, if only by a very small margin.

So Chef Mendelsohn was the latest chef to hear the words from Alton, “I am sorry, but you will not be The Next Iron Chef.” Chef Vigneron may never know just how close he was to joining him.

What did you think of the episode? Tell me in the comments below.

Relive the episode and take a look at an extended preview of next week’s episode below (click the play button):

“You Have to Be Able to Play the Game” — Alton’s After-Show

To survive — and thrive — on Cutthroat Kitchen, it’s not enough to be able to work quickly under pressure or to deliver a well-seasoned plat...

1. frickk says:

I was very disappointed in the outcome. Iron Chef is a competition to see who is the best. I feel both Spike & Marcel made a mockery of the show. They bent the rules, and the sad part is they got away with it. Now what happens the next time some else does the same thing? Is the chairman goinglet that fly too. You don't plate with your competition. They should have been made to plate separately or both should have been sent home.

• bursturbubble says:

The show is not 'real' – it is produced with storyboards and it is agenda driven. This year they will have a female winner.

Iron Chef produces entertainment, not food…

Now sit back and enjoy the drama.

2. WestCoastFan says:

A blast from the past is coming for the final 4. Season 3's buffet challenge is back!

3. Yrusur? says:

Well, I guess it worked…we're talking about it. I only watch when I come home from living my life and my SO has it playing on the TV. I watched about 20 minutes of the entertaining bake-off between the boyz. Left the room and resumed living my life when Alton started spewing the "sanctity of the competition" schtick. Really? No…really?! It's called entertainment, people. And here is the lesson we've learned: Competition is more important than friendship. How sad. Keep viewing, but don't let me know how it turned out.

4. WestCoastFan says:

I find it ironic that Chef Z was so concerned about the rules when last season he was quite adamant in saying that "he would cook what he wanted" after being chastised for "not following the rules". Of course it could have been all editing.

5. Kuakalani says:

Both should have been humiliated and slamed for their disrespectful, unprofessional cocky rude behavier. Really does Morimoto show this kind of garbage, how about Flay, Simon, Batali? not a chance these folks have class and respect for the trade and each other as well as the honor of Iron Chef. Those two dope heads need to stay in the room together enjoying their Bromance not on a show with such respected talet and class. Judges should have listened to Alton and consulted the chairman, I am sure he would agree to their behavier as unfit for the competition. No Aloha to these two. Bad Bachi Bromance!

6. MoHub says:

Hmmm- Someone appears to have fixed his spelling. The "w" is now gone from "retch."

7. WestCoastFan says:

Predictions & Speculations. From reviewing the previews I am going to say that Appleman is in the elimination challenge tonight. As to who is his oponent…I've no clue. It's hard to stop the vid at the right spot all the time. The secret ingredient for the challenge is in a bowl and if I were to speculate from the fuzzy frozen pic it looks like lemons/limes, well something roundish that is greenish/yellow under the lights.