Restaurant Revisited: Poco’s on the Boulevard

by in Shows, November 21st, 2012

Robert Irvine at Poco's on the BoulevardWhen Robert Irvine arrived at Poco’s on the Boulevard in Kansas City, Mo., he met owner Claudia Endicott and her sister, Danna Gutierrez, who were ready and anxious to receive Robert’s constructive criticism about their Latin restaurant. Since their mother passed away several months ago, Poco’s had been dishing out inconsistent food, and Claudia had struggled with earning the respect of her staff. Robert and the Restaurant: Impossible team spent two days revamping the dining room and overhauling the menu, and in the end, they helped return Poco’s to its former glory. We checked in with Claudia a few months after Robert left to see how the restaurant is doing today.

Since the renovation, diners have been pleased with the changes at Poco’s. The restaurant is once again making a profit, and sales have risen $20,000 from July to August.

Claudia appreciates the updated decor, including the new paint color and expanded bar, and says that it has been well received by customers. “The counter space makes it more comfortable to spend time at the bar,” she tells us. She especially like the photo of her mom, Poco’s founder, which was hung near the entrance. “I feel like she’s present when I see it,” Claudia says of the image.

Robert’s new menu has proven to be a hit with customers, but Claudia says that she’s added a few dishes from their previous menu, like her “Mom’s award-winning fish tacos and basic burritos.”

The cooks now are working with Poco’s original recipes, and Claudia adds that they “are creating a recipe book to instruct new employees as well as control food servings and portions.” Claudia has been spending more time in the kitchen recently and “is learning how to prepare the food as well as helping to direct staff during heavy volume.”

Claudia notes that she and Danna have been “more sensitive to each other” since Robert left. She’s happy to report that she has “improved in her professional mannerism” and is being respected by her staff. “We are looking forward to the future and what it may hold for Poco’s,” she says.

More From Restaurant Revisited:

Oleander Bar and Grill (October 17)
Valley Inn (October 10)
Whistle Stop (October 3)
The Maple Tree Cafe (September 26)
Michele’s (September 19)
Paliani’s Restaurant (September 12)
Frankie’s (September 5)
Gusanoz (August 29)
Stella’s (August 8)
Italian Village (August 1)
Zandi’s (July 25)
The Main Dish (July 18)
Longbranch Steak and Seafood (July 11)
Horton’s Kids (June 13)
Pollard’s (May 30)
University Grill (May 23)
Ristorante Barolo (May 16)
Pappas (May 9)
Mama Lee’s (May 2)
Pelican Grill (April 25)
Valley View (March 14)

What to Watch: Have One Last Halloween Hurrah with Food Network This Weekend

Get all of your Halloween programming in before the big day. It may be hard to believe, but the hallowed event is almost here, and before you run out ...

1. Ari Maccabi says:

I used to live in KC and I ate there! Food was great! Is there another sister named Alex?

Ari

2. jodi says:

just saw the repeat show. to all who did not like Tom as the designer sorry but I think he did great first time try and Robert wanted the vibrant green color and I if he did not like it he would have said so. agree got very emotional. glad they are doing great

3. Tina says:

Where is the update for Rascals? I am curious to know if they stayed clean and uncluttered. Also as dirty as that place was I would not even eat there after the makeover. Sorry but if they were that dirty with the rodents and bugs and filth, I doubt they will remain clean after the cameras are gone.

• Jan says:

I'm with you Tina. I DVR alot of RI's but it cut off before it could give the update. Inquiring minds want to know! LOL!

• Dwayne says:

Rascals closed 4 months after the show, didn't say why.

• Curt says:

It was said when I googled it that they owners went back to being nasty like before and complained that Robert's prices were screwing up their restaurant and then shortly after going back to their old ways, Closed down.

• Bob says:

Those folks obviously has psychological issues…that was hoarding going on in that place, not just laziness. I assumed (correctly) that the place would return to garbage collecting. I'm not sure why this place made the RI list of places to 'save', it was so obvious that the owners had other issues that would prevail once the cameras were gone.

• Curt says:

4. Gwen J. says:

I thought it was a great show! Claudia has a huge responsibility with only waitress expierence. The lime green walls are a popular Mexican color, but a little overwhelming. Maybe they could do some trim in that green instead of the walls? I really like Robert's style. He tells it like it is and I like that. Keep up the good work foodnetwork.com/ri.

• Herbinator says:

The RI producers should demote Robert to just the chef, and hire Taniya as the star of the show. Robert allowed that disgusting green to ruin the whole episode, so Robert should be demoted. The construction dude must be color blind, and there's no f'n way they spent 10 grand on this remodel. Bring Taniya back and make her the star. Make Robert SUBMIT to Taniya's abusive yelling to give him a taste of his own Roid Rage!

5. Donna says:

I just watched the episode and thoroughly enjoyed it. It's heartwarming to see the changes all come together and the family rekindle their love and passion. Keep up the good work R I!!

6. Angela says:

We ate lunch at Poco's yesterday and it was delicious! The restaurant looks beautiful, even the lime green. We did laugh that there were lime green marks on the back of some of the chairs and the trash can outside has lime green splashes all over it!

7. Marie LeClare says:

This was one of the best episodes I've seen. The family seemed to genuinely want to make their restaurant better and their need for help seemed to stem from tragedy rather than unwise business practices. Claudia and her sister seemed like sweet sisters. It's also encouraging to read they have taken the changes to heart. I wish them great success for Poco's. PS: I thought Tom did a great job!

8. Lisa pacheco says:

Just watched the repeat of pocos, a little behind but! The place looks amazing!(:I congrats and god bless you guys. Your business will continue to rise in your mothers memories (:

9. Paul says:

What a great episode that was very inspiring !!! If I ever make it to the area,I'll make it my point to visit
    Poco's for the food & view of the place…I love my Mexican food..
    Keep up the good job,your mom would have been very proud of you all…In New Jersey one has to
    stumble into a good place for authentic Mexican food…
    Continue success !!!

• John says:

If you love Mexican food, then you'll love Southwest Blvd where Poco's is located. This is a Hispanic neighborhood and there are tons of great Mexican restaurants frequented by people from all over the city. No need to stumble across a good Mexican restaurant in KC — they're all in one place! (Not to take away from the excellent Mexican restaurants in other locations.)

10. Strubel says:

The designer who picked the green should be fired. Great show. One of the best. [polldaddy 6888847 http://answers.polldaddy.com/poll/6888847/ polldaddy]

• Mr. Fish says:

I work at Target and they said they would fire me if I called in sick. So I go in everyday. Last week they still were mad at me since I came in with an I.V.

• winn says:

I titally disagree!! That brilliant green is cheerful and represents the bright colors of the culture behind the food! It's lovely!

• Jay says:

yeah, like what EVERYONE else has been noting. Not that the green is bad, but why is almost every remodel GREEN????