Restaurant Revisited: Poco’s on the Boulevard

by in Shows, November 21st, 2012

Robert Irvine at Poco's on the BoulevardWhen Robert Irvine arrived at Poco’s on the Boulevard in Kansas City, Mo., he met owner Claudia Endicott and her sister, Danna Gutierrez, who were ready and anxious to receive Robert’s constructive criticism about their Latin restaurant. Since their mother passed away several months ago, Poco’s had been dishing out inconsistent food, and Claudia had struggled with earning the respect of her staff. Robert and the Restaurant: Impossible team spent two days revamping the dining room and overhauling the menu, and in the end, they helped return Poco’s to its former glory. We checked in with Claudia a few months after Robert left to see how the restaurant is doing today.

Since the renovation, diners have been pleased with the changes at Poco’s. The restaurant is once again making a profit, and sales have risen $20,000 from July to August.

Claudia appreciates the updated decor, including the new paint color and expanded bar, and says that it has been well received by customers. “The counter space makes it more comfortable to spend time at the bar,” she tells us. She especially like the photo of her mom, Poco’s founder, which was hung near the entrance. “I feel like she’s present when I see it,” Claudia says of the image.

Robert’s new menu has proven to be a hit with customers, but Claudia says that she’s added a few dishes from their previous menu, like her “Mom’s award-winning fish tacos and basic burritos.”

The cooks now are working with Poco’s original recipes, and Claudia adds that they “are creating a recipe book to instruct new employees as well as control food servings and portions.” Claudia has been spending more time in the kitchen recently and “is learning how to prepare the food as well as helping to direct staff during heavy volume.”

Claudia notes that she and Danna have been “more sensitive to each other” since Robert left. She’s happy to report that she has “improved in her professional mannerism” and is being respected by her staff. “We are looking forward to the future and what it may hold for Poco’s,” she says.

More From Restaurant Revisited:

Oleander Bar and Grill (October 17)
Valley Inn (October 10)
Whistle Stop (October 3)
The Maple Tree Cafe (September 26)
Michele’s (September 19)
Paliani’s Restaurant (September 12)
Frankie’s (September 5)
Gusanoz (August 29)
Stella’s (August 8)
Italian Village (August 1)
Zandi’s (July 25)
The Main Dish (July 18)
Longbranch Steak and Seafood (July 11)
Horton’s Kids (June 13)
Pollard’s (May 30)
University Grill (May 23)
Ristorante Barolo (May 16)
Pappas (May 9)
Mama Lee’s (May 2)
Pelican Grill (April 25)
Valley View (March 14)

Explore America’s Best-Ever Pizzas, BBQ, Breakfasts and Burgers on All-New Series

When you consider classic eats like pizza, barbecue, breakfast and burgers, there’s surely no shortage of restaurants at which to find them; fro...

1. Gary says:

Great show but robert needs to calm down a little. Why not go back from time to time to see how it is doing. I am sure we would all love to know. Gordon does on his show. Best of luck on your restaurant.

• Penn O' Sha says:

What a trippy idea. Start the show 6 weeks in advance with Robert eating at the 'after' restaurant; then flashback to the beginning, and shock viewers with the believe-it-or-not; this is the way it WAS!

• Helen Lamoureux says:

STRONGLY AGREE!!!!!!! The only reason I can think of that they wouldn't do revisits is if too many failed or went back to old ways.[polldaddy 7084114 http://answers.polldaddy.com/poll/7084114/ polldaddy]

• j smith says:

Its because Chef Ramsey has an unlimited budget where Chef Rides off of sponsorships. The money isn't there to go back to every restaurant.

2. Toni says:

Thought it was one of the better episodes……agree green was horrific…

• Melissa says:

Bless his heart! I love you Tom but the nuclear green was over the top. I didn't think the original colors were too bad for the Latin-style restaurant. Except for the green, though, everything was perfect There have been so many times in my life that I have picked a color and hated it once I had it all over the wall. The thing is, I had plenty of time to paint over, but poor Tom didn't. Please don't fire him Robert. Y'all are a great team.

• beachinfrizzy says:

Same here. Tom is one of my TV boyfriends but dude should stick to building bars and repurposing barn doors and boat hulls and leave the color choices to the designers (maybe the lime green was on sale?) On the other hand, at least he didn't craft chandoliers out of paint stirrers and #10 cans, staple frying pan "flowers" to the walls or cover them in dust-catching latticework.

• Annie says:

In Tom's defense, when he and Robert were walking around the restaurant Robert said something to the effect of "When I think of a Latin restaurant I think of lime green and warm reds." I only remember it because at that point in the show I turned to my husband and said "I kind of agree. It's what my dad has always lovingly referred to as 'enchilada colors'."
        I grew up in San Antonio as did my dad and I currently live in south Texas. Mexican restaurants, mercados like Tom was in to pick up the pottery and even my friends' abuela's kitchen are as much of home to me as the house I grew up in. I have to admit that I probably would have reached for the adobe and terra cotta reds first as the main color if I were to design a Mexican restaurant, but lime or avocado (the true color of a ripe avocado, not that awful 60's version) green would definitely be second place. With the way neons and bright colors seem to be the hip thing right now I very well could have made the same mistake.
        Plus I can't help but wonder how different it looks in person versus on television.

3. Marc Lubey says:

Great show Robert! I love them. Also Restaurant Steakout my favorite!!

• Manuel Perez says:

There's not a faker show on TV than Restaurant Stakeout (Steakout?). It is beyond contribed.

• John says:

You mean "contrived"? If so, you are correct. I worked in restaurants for many years and employees would be fired on the spot if they did what they do on the show. Drinking on the job? Someone does it on every show and is never fired! A joke of a show!

• Manuel Perez says:

Thanks for the correction, can't believe I misspelled that! lol.

Beyond the fact that none of these people get fired, they hire actors to play "employees" (widely reported), the cameras are hidden? Yeah, right.

Food Network should be embarrassed to air this program.

• Penn O' Sha says:

The Restaurant Stakeout "Gameras" (skuoooze me, I'm from Broooklyn) are totally out in the open. It's the tiny microphones that are hidden. Google the term Federal+wiretapping+law and ask yourself why the FBI hasn't stepped in and asked them if they are really recording private conversations without consent..?

If my private oral conversations were recorded at a restaurant, and I found out, I would seek legal counsel to file criminal charges. If RS is 'real', then they might be breaking the law, so I've always assumed it must be fake, or RS might have already had a visit from the Feds. My guess; FAKE.

4. Marc Lubey says:

Robert, I'd like to know how you spend such a low amount of money $10,000.00 to referbish restaurants like POCO, and able to do it in such a short period of time?

• Annie says:

I'm not Robert, obviously, but I think part of how they do it is lots of planning and lots of manpower. They don't ever try to say "this is what YOU can do with $10,000 and 2 days" like some home improvement shows try to do (or used to. I stopped watching them a few years ago.) It's what Robert and the entire RI crew can do with that much money and that much time for the actual work. They never say how long it takes them to plan the re-design. Though, based on this show we can probably assume it's considerably less than 2 months.

• Trish says:

Also, they ask for volunteers. I live in the KC area and the day before a "call" went out for volunteers willing to come help in any capacity.

• Don says:

They are spending $10,000 on the decor. Man hours aren't included, those are paid out of the shows budget.

5. Jeremy says:

Green! I loved the wall color! My favorite part of the decor was the Mexican decorations. That makes this place the most beautiful Mexican restaurant I've ever seen! The chairs are also pretty. (More interested in the dining room design than the cooking)

6. Drew Vogel says:

I also wish RESTAURANT IMPOSSIBLE was less "Oprah-like" and showed more of the cooking, culinary training, and food than all the "human drama".

ALSO, I _HATE_ that I have to come to the website to see how the restaurant is doing. There should be cards at the end of the show telling how things have progressed.

• K C says:

I don't know if it's actually the case for these shows, but "way back" when I used to work in production, it was difficult to put together program with "up to the minute" information, and still have them sitting on the shelves ready for airing at a moment's notice. I imagine the editors work of Food Network work on these shows in batches.

That said; that was also way back in the day, and I'm sure things have become much easier to edit and update content. For that reason, I too wish they would go back to the card at the end of the show. I would hope that the reason we have to come here for updates is that they are waiting until the last possible moment to get the updates from the owners.

• Jumping Bean says:

It gave the last update as of August, so doesn't seem too up to the minute whereas we're entering December now. It's too bad because in the last four months things may have continued to improve or the honeymoon period has worn off.

7. Melissa Kaye says:

I would love more recipe instructions and ingredient lists. I live in Arkansas so we don't have a lot of fancy restaurants. Pig-Souieeeee! Please slow down Chef Robert when you're teaching the cooks so I can keep up. LOL!

8. Carlos says:

I like Tom the builder, but please hire a designer for designer job, please. The green is just hurting my eyes.

9. Curly22 says:

Glad it worked out for the family!! If Claudia is single, and wants to explore some northern California cuisine, I'd love to spend some time with her. She is beautiful, and I loved her humble but confident and take charge attitude. Very attractive!!

10. Curly22 says:

Oops. Didn't watch the end till just now. Just realizde she's married. What a lucky husband. Wish you all the best!!