Enter The Next Iron Chef Pantry Cook-Off Challenge

by in Shows, November 28th, 2012

Pantry ChallengeHow many times have you been caught without a plan for dinner? It can happen, right? You end up scrounging around in the pantry or the cupboards looking for something you could turn into a meal. Oftentimes you may even find yourself cooking with canned foods. Take, for example, a can of tuna — it can become a pretty good pasta puttanesca with the right recipe. Food Network is challenging you to a pantry cook-off challenge to find out what you can make.

On the latest episode of The Next Iron Chef, the Chairman’s challenge had the chefs cooking with canned foods with the goal of transforming the ingredient into something worth plating for the judges. Some of the cans available were properly labeled and others had question marks — just to throw the chefs a curveball. Though the chefs didn’t seem very keen on the challenge, they took it in stride. Now it’s your turn: Which canned food would you choose and what would you make out of it?

In the poll below, choose the ingredient that you would transform into a meal. Then, in the comments, describe the dish you would cook. The FN Dish editors will judge the entries and announce the winner on Wednesday, December 5.

Guy Reveals 8 Techniques to Survive Guy’s Grocery Games

Guy’s Grocery Games: the only show where chefs have the supermarket to themselves, have to cook in it and have the chance to win some serious do...

1. Jo-Ann Meza says:

OMG! Who dresses Alton Brown ? D man can dress like nobody's business!!! He would never b in an episode of what not to wear. He is definently metrosexual!!! You go Alton.

2. Stacy Phares says:

I would caramelize onions in butter. While that was happening, I would chop the roast beef and mix that and the gravy and mashed potatoes together. I would use this for a filling for peirogies. I would add mushrooms and garlic to the carmelzed onions than cook the peirogies while the mushrooms were cooking. Roast beef and potato peirogies with a caramelized onion and mushroom gravy. I would top with either chopped green onion tops or chives for serving.

3. Kristin says:

I would choose the canned clams. I would thinly slice garlic and saute it in some olive oil, then I would add the canned clams with the juice and add black pepper and red pepper flakes if you choose, oregano, basil and greated pecorino romano, I would then add slices of plum tomatoes and roughly chopped escerol. Heat until the escerol has completely wilted if you would like the sauce to be thicker add some pata water and/or more greated cheese. Serve over your coice of pasta i usually choose rigatoni so that the sauce will stick to the ribs in the pasta.

4. Shaun says:

First Kellogg's cereal and now canned food? This show is turning into Chopped. If I wanted to see people "cook" with these ingredients, I'd watch Semi-Homemade With Sandra Lee. Sorry, but Iron Chef America has just jumped the shark. I have no interest in watching anymore.

5. Christina Berry says:

I would make gluten free salmon cakes. I would mix the salmon with GF Panko bread crumbs, an egg, and a teaspoon of baking powder to hold it together. To that would also had some onions I would grate on my micro plane, some finely chopped dilly green beans that I can myself, fresh dill, lemon juice lemon pepper a tsp of old bay seasoning, and cayenne pepper. Then I would make it into patties, coat the outside of the patties with some more panko, and fry in olive oil until golden brown. Then we would dip it in a nice acidic sauce made from mayo, sour cream, Dijon mustard, fresh dill, pickle juice from the dilly green beans, lemon pepper, and celery salt. Yummy!! It's a family favorite. Serve with a nice salad and a veggie pilaf made with jasmine rice.

6. Laura says:

Clam Chowder! Render diced bacon, remove bacon bits just as they get crisp and reserve. Saute diced onion, celery, carrots and potatoes in the bacon fat. Add some crushed fennel seeds & cracked pepper. Deglaze with white wine, add the clam juice (hold the clams). Add light cream, milk or evaporated milk, and if necessary bottled clam juice or light chicken stock. Taste, season, simmer until potatoes start to fall apart. Thicken with a slurry of quick-dissolve flour and liquid, simmer to cook out. Add the clams just long enough to heat through (can also add chunks of frozen fish as well as chopped celery leaves), and garnish bowls with bacon bits.

7. William says:

Is anyone else as upset as I am about the constant covering of the screen with "You're watching the Next Iron Chef; FOOD NETWORK; inane comments. What idiot decided to ruin a show with these vile layovers on the screen that cover up to 25% of the space?