Thanksgiving Live 2012: Ask Your Question

by in Events, Holidays, October 10th, 2012

Thanksgiving Live 2012YouTube Preview Image
Home cooks and Thanksgiving dinner guests have another reason to be thankful this year: Giada De Laurentiis, Bobby Flay, Aarón Sanchez, Alex Guarnaschelli, Sunny Anderson and Ree Drummond are back for a second helping to answer some of the toughest questions about holiday meal-making on our annual Thanksgiving Live! program, a two-hour call-in show hosted by turkey master Alton Brown on Nov. 18 from 12 p.m. to 2 p.m.

From solutions to dry turkey and lumpy gravy to Food Network stars demonstrating helpful tips and delicious recipes, experts will be on hand to address perennial problems.

Do you have a question you need answered? Viewers have the opportunity to submit questions in advance via Facebook and Twitter by using the hashtag: #ThanksgivingLive. You can also ask your question here. Leave your question in the comment section below, and then tune in to Food Network on Nov. 18 from 12 p.m. to 2 p.m. to see if your question has been answered.

Trick or Treat! Your Guide to Being the Most-Popular House on the Block — Fall Fest

What’s the trick to being the go-to trick-or-treating destination on the block? Homemade treats, that’s what. Instead of stocking up on he...

Comments (2,025)

1. Jennie K says:

Help! This is my first Thanksgiving since going onto a strict Lo- to No- Salt diet for health reasins. How can I make my turkey flavorful and moist without salt?

2. Eryn Hoellein says:

Hello,
    Last year you talked a lot about the importance of brining your turkey the night before. So two questions: is there a variation of recipes at would be best for turkey? Also what kind of container is best, I know it needs to sit in the fridge and the bucket I tried to use would not fit in the fridge.
    Amos

3. Audra says:

Can you cook a turkey the same way you would cook a flattened chicken? (after brining) or would it be to dry?

4. Bluewillow1 says:

Alex I saw your show where you cooked a beautiful pie. I want to cook a apple pie for Thanksgiving but I don't know how to make the crust. My old recipe calls for lard. What type of lard should I use or can I use butter or margarine?

5. Teri says:

I plan to serve a home made Apple pie on Thanksgiving. How far in advance can I prepare the pie and still have it taste fresh? Is premaking and freezing the pie an option? If so, how long will it need to defrost.

6. Ann-Marie Grant says:

This year I am making the sweet potatoes for Thanksgiving. I have done several of the recipes from Food network. I am looking for a quick and yummy twist for them, I have to work so I dont have much prep time. Any ideas?

7. Ruthie says:

Alton, I would like to prepare your recipe for butterflied and dry brined turkey this year for a large group. I plan to cook two 12 lb birds. Is it possible to put them both in the oven at the same time, on two shelves? I will be using a digitalmeat thermometer probe.

8. GPShipley says:

I want to make the Roasted Turkey Breast with Gravy recipe from Claire Robinson. Instead of roasting it in the oven for about an hour at 375 degrees F, I want to put it in the slow cooker. What is the conversion rate (on slow or high)?

9. Maria Mulligan says:

Alton,_This is my first year taking the lead in kitchen for Thanksgiving. I am making dinner for 15 people. To include leftovers I want to cook a 20 lb. turkey. If I follow your instructions for a 14 to 16 lb. bird what adjustments to time should I make if any? November 18th the day this show airs is my birthday._I love all your cooking shows and have been very successful with many of your recipe.

10. Millette Desormeaux says:

I love the green bean casseroles however some people in my family do not like mushrooms. Is there an alternative to use in place of the mushrooms while still keeping the dish yummy?

• Alexis Say says:

Hi, I do know the answer and posted what I did last year for thanksgiving considering my neighbor is allergic to mushrooms look for my post my name is Alexis Say, However I forgot to mention that the substitutes I used in place of the cream of mushroom soup was split equaly to be the same amount as you would use if it was cream of mushroom, and in case you would like the answer now I'll give it to you. We used two different ingredients in place of one, cream of celery and cream of brocolli soup, honestly it's very good and tastes better because not only is it different but it adds more flavor. hopefully you and your family will love it, we do and I'm making again this year. Happy Thanksgiving. Oh and one more thing, at the end of the day I had no left over greenbean casserole to take home, it was eaten to where there was nothing left except the dish it was sevred in. LOL!!! Hope you enjoy.