Thanksgiving Live 2012: Ask Your Question

by in Events, Holidays, October 10th, 2012

Thanksgiving Live 2012YouTube Preview Image
Home cooks and Thanksgiving dinner guests have another reason to be thankful this year: Giada De Laurentiis, Bobby Flay, Aarón Sanchez, Alex Guarnaschelli, Sunny Anderson and Ree Drummond are back for a second helping to answer some of the toughest questions about holiday meal-making on our annual Thanksgiving Live! program, a two-hour call-in show hosted by turkey master Alton Brown on Nov. 18 from 12 p.m. to 2 p.m.

From solutions to dry turkey and lumpy gravy to Food Network stars demonstrating helpful tips and delicious recipes, experts will be on hand to address perennial problems.

Do you have a question you need answered? Viewers have the opportunity to submit questions in advance via Facebook and Twitter by using the hashtag: #ThanksgivingLive. You can also ask your question here. Leave your question in the comment section below, and then tune in to Food Network on Nov. 18 from 12 p.m. to 2 p.m. to see if your question has been answered.

Apple Butter Braised Pork Chops — The Weekender

Looking for a new potluck dish to add to your holiday repertoire? Look no further than Sunny's Apple Butter Braised Pork Chops....

Comments (2,025)

1. Sandra Acevedo says:

This question is for Alton regarding turkey brine. I have your recipe for this turkey brine. My turkey that I cook every year is 25 to 27 pound. Do I modify your ingredients or will it still work for a larger turkey? This will be my first year in brining and I don't want to dissapoint my family. Please help me. Thank you so much. :)

2. Donna Savia says:

I will be cooking a 20 lb turkey this year and would like to know approximately how long will it take to cook. Happy Thanksgiving to you all.

3. Barbara Brown says:

Barbara Brown Buffalo, NY
    I love all the cooking shows and have learned a lot. My question is, I've watched many of the chefs salt by layer and it seems like a lot of salt. Do you ever worry about sodium counts in your diets?

4. Mary Nevicosi says:

My question is for Alton. I usually purchase a frozen turkey for the big day. The instructions say to thaw the turkey in a refrigerator at 24 hours per 10 pounds of turkey. Well, that formula always leaves me with a frozen turkey on Thanksgiving morning. How long, really, does it take to thaw a turkey? Thanks ever so much.

5. Brooke Hash says:

This year I am cooking Thanksgiving dinner and my parents are coming in from out of state. My mom is a die hard stuff the turkey with stuffing cook and I am going to cook the stuffing on the side so my turkey does not dry out. My moms traditional sage stuffing is bread cubes, butter, celery, onion, sage, s&p and the turkey juices is the liquid. I am going to do the same traditional sage stuffing but my liquid will be chicken stock boiled with the turkey neck and inside parts, carrots, celery, and onion. Is there any other way to help infuse the "turkey flavor" into the stuffing so my mom doesn't miss her traditional stuffing and regret crossing three states for it?

6. Antonette says:

Hi Chefs. This question is for Sunny. Do you have any good sweet potatoes recipes?

7. Rhonda Smith says:

Hi Ree,

My husband and I want to make a slightly sweet yet savory stuffing dish this thanksgiving – any suggetions on how we could achieve that? Thanks so much! :)

8. Angel T says:

I am going to make Alton Brown's Super Apple Pie, but I want to make the pie crust ahead of time. I thought I would freeze it, but I need to know if it Is better to freeze in the ceramic pie plate it will eventually cook in or make it into a ball or flatten into a round and fold it. Also, how long should I defrost it before filling. Also, what is a substitute for grains of paradise?

9. Caroline says:

Last year I tried to make scalloped potatoes ahead of time. I assembled the dish, covered it and then put it in the refrigerator. I baked it later in the afternoon. It turned gray! Very unappetizing! Can you successfully make potato dishes ahead of time-if so I really need some suggestions- or is this a dish that needs to be made at the last minute? Thanks.

10. Alexis Say says:

Hello alton and chefs,

Istead of a question I would like to tell you a problem I had to solve last year for thansgiving. At that time last year we had new neighbors move in and wanted to make a side dish I love to eat at thanksgiving, greenbean casserole, however I found out our new neighbor is allergic to mushrooms. So my mom and I put our heads together to think of a substitue for cream of mushroom soup used in the recipe. We decided to try it with cream of celery and cream of brocolli. I have to be honest it turned out better then in it did before when I used cream of mushroom soup. hopefully this will be helpful for other's who have the same situation or would like to try something different. Thank you.