Thanksgiving Live 2012: Ask Your Question

by in Events, Holidays, October 10th, 2012

Thanksgiving Live 2012YouTube Preview Image
Home cooks and Thanksgiving dinner guests have another reason to be thankful this year: Giada De Laurentiis, Bobby Flay, Aarón Sanchez, Alex Guarnaschelli, Sunny Anderson and Ree Drummond are back for a second helping to answer some of the toughest questions about holiday meal-making on our annual Thanksgiving Live! program, a two-hour call-in show hosted by turkey master Alton Brown on Nov. 18 from 12 p.m. to 2 p.m.

From solutions to dry turkey and lumpy gravy to Food Network stars demonstrating helpful tips and delicious recipes, experts will be on hand to address perennial problems.

Do you have a question you need answered? Viewers have the opportunity to submit questions in advance via Facebook and Twitter by using the hashtag: #ThanksgivingLive. You can also ask your question here. Leave your question in the comment section below, and then tune in to Food Network on Nov. 18 from 12 p.m. to 2 p.m. to see if your question has been answered.

Stars, Stripes and Everything Nice: 4th of July Treats — Summer Soiree

If the fireworks are sounding off and you’re more concerned with where your next hot dog is coming from, then let’s not kid ourselves. For...

Comments (2,025)

1. Beth says:

I am planning to smoke my turkey this year. Will it affect the smoking process if I put herbs and orange peels inside of bird ?

2. Danielle says:

Someone had asked for an idea to thicken gravy but they needed to keep it gluten free. I did some checking and you can use rice flour or sorghum flour. you can even mix the two of them together. And if nothing else you can use cornstarch and instead of mixing it with water use a little white wine remember the alcohol will cook out of it and it will add a layer of flavor. Another recipe would be to use either arrowroot or tapioca starch. Good luck

3. Maria says:

Can PLEASE show on tv where exactly to put the thermetor at the thigh. I did last year and I think I did't place it in the right area. My turkey came out under cooked.

4. Joanna says:

I cook my turkey in an electric roaster which produces a very juicy bird BUT I don't get a nice brown skin. Any suggestions?

5. Alan says:

How about Low carbs food,foods in low or sugar free
    I'm Diabetes I see and read all the foods useing a lot of sugar
    I like to eat a dessert, Must be sugar free?

• Missylayne says:

I have a great recipe for a sugarfree apple-raspberry pie. It is excellent and just sweet enough.
      8-10 Granny Smith apples-peeled and sliced
      1-12oz. can frozen unsweetened raspbery juice, unthawed–reserve 2 T. for top
      2 T. cornstarch
      1/3 cup water
      1 t. cinnamon
      5 T. butter
      1 cup. Splenda
      Pastry for 9-inch double crust pie
      Place apples and undiluted juice into a large pan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered for about 5 minutes. Dissolve cornstarch in water, add Splenda and stir until blended. Gently stir into apple mixture. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered just until the apples begin to soften. Stir in cinnamon. Fill pastry shell with apples and dot with butter, Cover with top crust. Brush crust with reserved juice. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.

6. Annette Strate says:

Do you recomend stuffing in the turkey or baked separately

7. Sharon p says:

I am trying to find bobby flays turkey and gravy recipes from the live show. None of the recipes I've been finding online seem to be the one he made on thanksgiving live. Please help

8. gerardo lopez says:

Giada in your chocolate dessert salami does it really need biscotti?

9. Veronica Dee Ang says:

I wanted to know if there is a good recipe for stuffing the bird with fruits, herbs and onions to make a more fragrant turkey and what temperature would you use to roast the turkey.

Sincerely yours,

Veronica

10. Rey Reyes says:

I've read quite a bit of conflicting recommendations from food network as far as temperature required when roasting a turkey. In fact Alton's video says to remove the bird from the oven at 155 degrees (presumably to allow for a ten degree rise in temperature when resting) and still another of Alton's video mentions removing the bird when the thermometer registers at 161 degrees. Other online recommendations mention 165 degrees and others even higher, depending of course on where the probe is inserted. Please clarify what indeed is the correct recommendation once and for all. Thanks.

• Dee says:

Try using a brined turkey or a kosher one which has been brined. The brining method removes any traces of blood, which not only makes it kosher but also makes it more moist.