10 Things You Didn’t Know About the Barefoot Contessa

by in Food Network Chef, October 31st, 2012

Ina GartenHer fame may be relatively quiet — she doesn’t have a line of cookware, there isn’t a namesake restaurant — but make no mistake: Ina Garten is a powerhouse celeb chef.

Fans know her story well: From a White House budget analyst to specialty food-store owner, her path to stardom has been slow and steady. In 1978 she bought the Barefoot Contessa in East Hampton; after 20 years she quit and sold it to the employees, only then embarking on cookbooks. Her first was published in 1999.

Now, with her eighth cookbook (Barefoot Contessa: Foolproof ) out and her show entering its 11th year, the publicity-shy chef has plenty to dish about.

1. She cooks only from her cookbooks. “I trust them,” she says. And after all these years, she still prefers a recipe over winging it. “I’m a science person. I measure everything.”

2. She’s never watched herself on TV. “I couldn’t possibly. If I watched a show, I don’t think I’d ever do it again,” she laughs. “Filming is still the most frightening thing I’ve done. It’s just sheer terror. I haven’t gotten used to it yet.”

3. She eschews fancy foods. “When I did fancy things in the store, nobody really bought them. People wanted roast chicken and roasted carrots. I’m inspired by specialty food-store recipes as opposed to restaurants.” For dinner parties, her go-to meal is equally simple: whiskey sours, rack of lamb and orzo with roasted vegetables. “Everyone loves it. It never fails.”

4. She refuses to endorse products. “I’ve been asked to do everything from dining tables to clothing — who would want me to do their clothing? — to soy sauce,” she says. “Yesterday I was asked to do something with the United Nations. I mean, solve the problems of the world? Yeah, I’ll make everyone chicken pot pie and they’ll be happy [laughs]!”

5. She works only with friends. “A lot of people have asked to be guests, but I really keep it to friends. I don’t think you can fake a party,” she says. A new and notable favorite: Tina Fey.  “She’s wonderful. She’s everything you think she is and gorgeous to boot.”

6. She admires Bobby Flay. “How does he do it? He blows me away. He has restaurants all over the world, cookbooks, television shows. I can’t imagine how he does it, and he does them all well,” she says.

7. She doesn’t cook for herself. “Cooking is a sharing thing; it’s not about the cooking itself,” she says. “If I’m by myself, I’ll have fruit, yogurt and granola or get soup from somewhere nearby, like Loaves & Fishes.”

8. She’s happily type A. “I’m satisfied when something is done very well. I feel I need to have my hands in it. My publisher will tell you that there isn’t a font or color or recipe or ingredient I haven’t been involved with. I don’t have a lot of people around me; I do it all myself, so that limits what I can do. But for me, I find that very satisfying.”

9. She’s more pop savvy than you’d think. “I’m a huge Taylor Swift fan,” she admits. And her favorite shows? Serial dramas, like Homeland.

10. She loves Thanksgiving. “It’s my favorite meal to make each year,” she says. On this year’s menu: Accidental Turkey from Foolproof, spinach gratin, truffle mashed potatoes and pumpkin pie with rum. “Booze is always my secret weapon!” she jokes.

The Roasted Veggie Plan: Foolproof Prep + 10 Creative Uses

We all want more time. And we all want to be healthy. So when I develop a strategy that meets both goals, I get excited about sharing it with you. Tod...

1. Chris says:

I love the show, but that back ground music really needs to go. The repetitive notes, that they play over and over it's such a distraction!!

2. Donna Holland says:

I own 3 of Ina's cook books and love them.I have never made a bad meal when using your recipe. Will be buying your new book soon.

3. michele rudolph says:

i can't enough about you, your show is sooo amazing it totally calms me down your voice i find calming your house and of course jeffrey he makes me laugh everything stops in my house when your show comes on. I have all your cooks books your six dvd's I wish there was more. Please don't change anything on your show just keep cooking.

4. diane says:

Ina is down to earth and real. I would love to be friends with her. She's warm, sincere and is someone who is so humble. I love her recipes. They're elegant and delicious without being complicated. She's the best out of any on the Food Network cooks. Her ideas are new and fresh. Keep it up Ina!

5. Patricia Tremain says:

Ina, you are fabulous ! I love all your shows, I have all your cookbooks and cook from them all the time. I entertain a lot and all my guest just love coming to dinner knowing I'll be cooking something from your cook books..No one bothers me while your on the air ! You brighten up my day. I've learned so much from you and have become a great cook because of you !!! Can't begin to thank you enough !!! I love and look forward to Friday nights Chicken for Jeffrey. You are truly beautiful inside out….I try very hard never to miss your shows. I even have your DVD's. You are on my Bucket List . I hope to meet you someday before I die.I better hurry up I'm getting old !!!!!!

6. glendagai says:

I so enjoy Ina's show. Give your books to all my daughters. Every recipe works!! I love the way you and Jeffrey interact. I am a complete fan. !!! Ina can do no wrong

7. Kirsti says:

The Barefoot Contessa Rocks! I always loved her books/recipes… and now I like her even more!

8. dorothy swindle says:

Ina, I would love to meet you and my husband says you are better than anyone on tv, you seem so down to earth and you fit in where ever you are,i'm sure the people around you love you

9. lorraine says:

ina is fabulous. every single recipe of hers i've tried has been delicious..and easy! try her herb baked eggs (and accompanying endive and pear salad). it's just eggs!! yet one of the most fabulous things i've ever eaten. how can that be? ina knows her stuff.

10. Lorraine Otis says:

Ina…I fly to Paris almost every week. Who do you think I am reminded of? Hmmmm Shopped at Dehillerin and Poulaine, Do you have a shopping list for me? And I know you love the macaroons!!!!! Love you, Lorraine Otis