Watch Out, L.A.: Here Comes Seoul Sausage

by in Shows, September 30th, 2012

seoul sausage
The third season of The Great Food Truck Race hit the road with eight rookie food trucks with a grand prize of $50,000 and the chance to keep their truck. Every Sunday we saw each truck pull out all their team’s tricks to stay in the game. But ultimately, one truck said goodbye each week. Tonight it was down to the final two: Seoul Sausage and Nonna’s Kitchenette. Both battled multiple Truck Stops and Speed Bumps in three different cities that constantly kept them on their toes. In the end, it came down to a difference of $103.

All season long we saw these three friends give it their all in an effort to prove to their parents that they had what it takes to be successful in the food truck industry. With their clever menu names, irresistible fried kimchi rice balls and unmistakable ambition, Seoul Sausage walked away with the grand prize — Los Angeles, welcome your newest food truck!

For seven weeks, we’ve watched you sell the fried kimchi rice balls. Where did that idea come from and why do you think those were so popular?

It came out of both necessity and coincidence. You have to remember the first week we were thrown off guard — all of a sudden we couldn’t make sausages anymore. In Flagstaff, Ariz., Chris had to think on the fly and create a new dish that could really encapsulate what Seoul Sausage the food truck was all about. He did that perfectly and it was just a fun food item that people ate up.

What was your most memorable moment of the competition (besides the winning moment)?

The graveyard shift in Fayetteville, Ark.: All of the customers that we didn’t serve earlier that day (due to the Truck Stop) came back out during the middle of the night after 1:00 a.m. to support us and buy from our truck. That area was coned-off specifically for Seoul Sausage and when we came rolling in, we seriously felt like the Beatles. Thanks again to all those who came and waited for us that night.

The Fried Ball stadium chant during the Amarillo Sox game was a close second.

seoul sausageHow do your parents feel now?

They want to try our Flaming Fried Balls (laughs). They are really happy that we are pursuing what we love doing.

No matter where you traveled, you changed the menu names to reflect your moods or the towns you were in. Do you think that strategic move became part of your success?

We place high value on connecting with the customers. That’s why when we first started the race, it was a no-brainer to put Ted (who’s really personable) up front to interact with the customers and have them become part of the Seoul Sausage experience. All of the cities we traveled through during the race are ones we’ve never visited before. So we felt it was natural to do whatever we could to make us feel at home and personalize it. Plus, it was us being goofy, too. I mean, if you had a choice, would you rather order a Tofu Salad or a Manly BUT Sensitive Steak Tofu Salad?

When you rolled into Lubec, Maine, you said, “We have an even playing field and that’s our advantage right now.” What did you mean by that?

Whenever we competed head-to-head versus another truck this season, or in a group setting, we always felt that our food, our personality and our energy stood out, and when we arrived in Lubec, we were ready for the challenge.

How come you guys never made any sausages on the show?

People don’t understand that we could never afford a sausage maker with the money Tyler gave us every week. Plus, it was near to impossible to find sausage casings on the fly from city to city. So we did what we do best, which is to improvise. What is a sausage without its casing? It’s a hamburger! People don’t realize it, but everyone was in fact eating our sausages, just in a hamburger or ball form.

What has the team done with the prize money and when will Seoul Sausage officially be on the road?

We are going to spoil our parents first. I think I’m going to buy a desk. Chris is missing somewhere in Las Vegas and Ted bought some new underwear and socks. But in all honesty, we are going to give Big Momma a small makeover, stock up, prep and head out to the streets of Los Angeles to serve our awesome fans soon.

POLL: Your Preferred Meal at the Diner and More — Play Along with Hungry Games

The all-American diner: There really is no other place that serves as many options at nearly all hours of the day and night as the classic greasy spoo...

1. Nan says:

Congrat!!! I’m so glad Seoul Sausage win. I love their personality and how they treat other contestants with respect. So all you hater just shut up and accept the truth!!!! I can’t wait to try your food in LA.

2. Rigged says:

just re-watched the finale and wondering how the heck SEOUL knew to buy APPLES for their lobster dish BEFORE Tyler called the teams to let them know about the lobster challenge…. poor editing job + rigged production

3. Anonymous says:

Are you asking Koreans to stop being wonderful? Really? Do we now need affirmative action food trucks so that the Koreans don't have the upper hand? Sorry but I can't stop laughing. Gonna piss myself.

4. Hannah says:

Hey you're absolutely right. Maybe also in addition to the Koreans stepping aside, all the white people could step aside too? You know every season has featured multiple white teams, maybe all these white people could give a rest for a season?

The fact that you think that just because there are Korean teams in each season is somehow weird or strange or too much shows some of your ingrained prejudices. I'm not trying to be harsh, it may be something you don't even realize yourself.

5. Robert says:

I wonder how someone gets a chance to win their own food truck

6. Carol724 says:

I just met Ted Kim from Seoul Sausage last night at a food truck festival in Rowland Hts, CA. This was their first appearance with the food truck. It was awesome to see the SEOUL SAUSAGE food truck in person, all beat up with the marking of their history race across the USA. Chris and Yong were at their store in West L.A. working hard selling their signature sausages and rice balls. I have been rooting for these guys since day one of the GFTR and they deserved the absolute win. They are hardwordking, humble and just great guys….no ego trip here! I tried their famous kim chee fried rice balls and OMG….no hype here, they were DELICIOUS!!!! and their Kalbi burger which is basically their signature sausage without the casing in a burger….mouthwatering good!!! Came to see them after work and eat their food…not dissapointed at all! Will make it one day to their store and West L.A. and continue to follow their journey on FB and twitter. SEOUL SAUSAGE rocks!!! ; )

7. Excellent post. I used to be checking continuously this blog and I am inspired! Extremely useful information specially the remaining phase I handle such information a lot. I used to be looking for this certain information for a long time. Thanks and good luck.

8. burçlar says:

seems delicious.. I'm dying to try it…

9. I like the precious details you provide inside of your articles or blog posts.I will bookmark your blog page and examine again the following repeatedly.I’m fairly certain I will learn about a lot of latest stuff correct the following! Fine luck to the upcoming!

10. Karen says:

I have a question? How did you pack up so quickly and move to another spot when you had hot grease in the deep fryer? I have a concession stand and the first thing we learned was to never travel with grease in the deep fryers because the previous owners did once and it ended up all over the floor. If there's a secret to this I would love to know it.