Restaurant Revisited: The Maple Tree Cafe

by in Shows, September 26th, 2012

Restaurant: ImpossibleRookie restaurant owner Ashley Robertson needed Robert Irvine’s help to successfully run her Las Vegas restaurant, The Maple Tree Cafe. In just two days, Robert tackled poor food quality and disorganized management in order to give The Maple Tree Cafe the transformation it deserved. We checked in with Ashley a few months after the Restaurant: Impossible renovation to see how her restaurant is doing today.

Ashley reports that since Robert left, sales at The Maple Tree Cafe have more than doubled.

The restaurant’s food, she says, “is coming out great,” and she credits a recipe book in the kitchen with ensuring that all dishes are made the same way every time. She says that she has “completely delegated the prep duties to everyone in the kitchen,” and makes sure to “spend time watching plates go out.”

Ashley tells us that she’s still serving the majority of Robert’s menu, and that both the apple fritter and Cuban sandwich have been well received by customers. “Everyone raves about” the Cuban sandwich, she tells us. “It wasn’t something we had ever considered putting on our menu before, but it’s definitely a keeper.”

As for the staff at the restaurant, Ashley says that she’s been pleased with Alex’s work. She also has taken the lead on disciplining and firing a few employees when necessary. “I have changed a lot of my ways of thinking since the show, and I realized that lack of pride and responsibility just can’t be tolerated,” she tells us. She’s hired new employees who are not family members to staff both the front of house and the kitchen.

Today Ashley’s family is not offering as many critiques of her business as before. “I think their eyes were opened a little more to all of the work, stress, business, finance and babysitting that is really involved in the day-to-day,” she explains.

Looking ahead, Ashley is excited about The Maple Tree Cafe’s new venture into catering. In addition to providing boxed in-flight meals for an airline, the restaurant has teamed up with a chain of lounges in Las Vegas to provide food at two of their new locations.

More From Restaurant Revisited:

Michele’s (September 19)
Paliani’s Restaurant (September 12)
Frankie’s (September 5)
Gusanoz (August 29)
Stella’s (August 8)
Italian Village (August 1)
Zandi’s (July 25)
The Main Dish (July 18)
Longbranch Steak and Seafood (July 11)
Horton’s Kids (June 13)
Pollard’s (May 30)
University Grill (May 23)
Ristorante Barolo (May 16)
Pappas (May 9)
Mama Lee’s (May 2)
Pelican Grill (April 25)
Valley View (March 14)

Explore America’s Best-Ever Pizzas, BBQ, Breakfasts and Burgers on All-New Series

When you consider classic eats like pizza, barbecue, breakfast and burgers, there’s surely no shortage of restaurants at which to find them; fro...

1. Thank you :) I appreciate that!

2. Karen says:

Then don't watch!

3. Jessica svo says:

That is illegal in quite a few ways.

• @undefined says:

I didnt say she was standing in the kitchen cooking all day.. although she has helped in the kitchen also. I dont think family helping each other is illegal in any way. She was my assistant, runner, hostess, dishwasher etc etc. I didnt say I handcuffed her to the door and told her have a nice day. Maybe I should have mentioned it was WILLING time donation.
      My point was, she is NOT the way she came off in the 45 minutes of show time.

• Albear says:

She is volunteering!!! How is that illegal??? I look forward to your response!!

4. Hockeytown313 says:

Illegal?? LoL… That's what's wrong with people today. When family bonds are that strong, their businesses succeed. I worked FOR FREE throughout high school & college while I had a part-time job on the side. I now own the place I GAVE my time to. I never complained and working that closely to an owner matured me faster than any minimum wage job could. Personally, I would rather be a 15 year old working closely with an owner (FOR FREE) & walking away with the tools to succeed than being another name on payroll.

5. steve says:

Glad you're doing well. Sounds like you're among those who accepted Robert's help and learned from his experience… your comments here sound like you now have a winning formula for success.

• @undefined says:

Most definitely. Like I said, we continue to learn, have slip ups and learn. But things are truly going great for us. I try to address every concern, and apparently that comes off as excusing behavior. I have printed peoples posts from this thread and taken them to the restaurant to address them. Everyone is on their toes now. Thank you for your comments :)

6. steve says:

Yeah but… some folks do that due to vision issues.

7. Seabecknana says:

You tell it, Ashley. People have no business commenting on you, especially. You're a lovely woman who knows that family is everything. And the man who he said he got special pie from you is a pig.

8. Kevin from Texas says:

I was following Tom's posts and was excited to see RI was going to be doing a reataurant in Vegas just a few weeks before my trip. I went the first weekend in August, way before the show aired. The decor was great and Robert's shrimp appetizer was great. However, the attitudes of the servers had not changed. Though we came in just before the 2:00 closing time and were the only table in the restaurant, I felt I was imposing on the staff'. They were too busy talking, texting or rolling silverware in the dining room to bother waiting on us and I had to find someone to check us out. The girl said she was Ashley's neice and although she did not appear on the show, she had nothing good to say about Robert or RI. Quite the opposite. She did say Ashley was starting another restaurant in a nearby bar. I say she needs to stick with one restaurant and learn to run it well first,

9. When I first saw this title Restaurant Revisited: The Maple Tree Cafe | FN Dish – Food Network Blog on google I just whent and bookmark it. Hi there. Very cool site!! Guy .. Excellent .. Superb .. I will bookmark your website and take the feeds also…I am glad to find numerous useful information here in the post. Thank you for sharing…

10. I feel this is one of the most significant info for me. And i'm happy reading your article. However want to observation on some general issues, The website taste is great, the articles is in point of fact great : D. Good activity, cheers