Pop-A-Waffle Says Goodbye — The Great Food Truck Race

by in Shows, September 23rd, 2012

food trucks
This week, the top three teams conquered Cleveland, but not without some difficulties. With just $100 of seed money, a juicy Truck Stop and a Speed Bump that took the teams out of their trucks for the first time, these teams were pushed and tested to the limit. With a grand prize of $50,000 on the line and the chance to keep their truck, each team tries to pull out all their tricks to stay in the game, but ultimately one truck must go each week. Every Sunday night, FN Dish will bring you exclusive exit interviews with the latest Food Truck contestants to get the boot.

Back in the game this week is Seoul Sausage with an impressive first-place win that brought in their highest earnings of the competition. In the end, Tyler reports that Nonna’s Kitchenette is the other team to advance to next week’s finale, which meant that it was the end of the road for Pop-A-Waffle. Despite the guys’ Truck Stop advantage, they did not make enough money to stay in the race, and Scott, Bobaloo and Anthony were asked to turn in their keys.

You don’t make it this far in the race unless you’ve got what it takes. Driving into Cleveland after capturing your first victory, what was the team feeling?

leg of lambWe felt great — that victory gave us such momentum coming into Cleveland. It was such a high for the team because we felt like we finally caught our stride. Chef Anthony was overjoyed as well, because the two wins really gave him a confidence boost.

The team won the Truck Stop, which gave you an advantage over the other teams. Do you think the Speed Bump was your ultimate downfall since you couldn’t sell your trademark waffles, or was it moving to the concert?

I think it was a combination of both. The Speed Bump didn’t hurt us as bad as we thought it would, because hungry people still wanted to eat. We wanted to get to the concert area earlier, however, and by being stuck with that cart until a certain time hurt us because we couldn’t get over there at the peak time for customers.

Fill in the blanks: The hardest part of owning a food truck is _______________. The best part is __________________.

The hardest part of owning a food truck is making sure you learn to use every minute of the day to maximum the truck’s success. Oh, and not having air conditioning. The best part is meeting so many different and wonderful customers, the creative freedom you have and a daily change of your environment.

You traveled through some great towns. If you had to create your ultimate road trip with the truck, what five towns/cities would you hit?

Five cities we would love to hit with a food truck would be Milwaukee, Chicago, Boston, Washington, D.C., and Portland, Maine. Milwaukee is my home town, Anthony’s from Boston and Scott’s from Maine. It would have been our game had we made it to the finale with Boston and Maine involved.

Can the great people of Los Angeles expect a Pop-A-Waffle truck anytime soon? Bobaloo, I can’t imagine you’d go back to working “for the man.”

The Waffle Boys are working hard to open the Pop-A-Waffle truck as soon as possible in Los Angeles. We are writing up the business plan, shopping for trucks and talking to investors. After taking such an amazing experience as far as we did, we’d be fools to go back. Upward and onward!

What to Watch: Let Food Network Magazine Take You On a Cross-Country Culinary Tour

Join Bobby Flay and Food Network Magazine on a cross-country culinary expedition to find the most-delicious dishes in the country....

1. MoHub says:

Arancini—rice balls—are traditional Italian fare and quite different from what Seoul Sausage offers. Same with pizzelle being very different in texture from the thick Belgian waffles offered by Pop-A-Waffle. Perhaps it would have seemed less like a ripoff if the Nonna's gals had used the Italian names for their items.

Besides, in the end, it's the quality of the offerings and a proper marketing strategy that make the difference in sales.

• 1Dishy says:

Thank you for the explanation MoHub. I don't think the people would have known what the items were if they called them by their proper Italian names–so "Rice Balls" and "Italian Waffle Cookies" it is. :)

2. Suspicious says:

Am so glad Pop-A-Waffle is gone. The one cook did all the work and had all the talent while the other two men were just annoying with their singing, yelling, and flag waving. They made some bad choices when they had the advantage and it cost them. Plus their change of location certainly did not help them. I'm not thrilled with the two finalists, but they are an improvement over Pop-A-Waffle.

3. Linda Burstion says:

jWas it fair that the jersey girls used two carts to move their food to the location> Weren't they told to use a hot dog truck?

• Suspicious says:

I thought that seemed strange as well, but I was told on another forum that it was really just a large trash can with wheels. I'm not sure how this fit in with the rule about one cart, but nobody was called on anything that I could see.

• Koy says:

They were given a food cart and a cooler. The other thing was the cooler. I don't think you saw the others cooler, as they didn't go mobile.

• beachinfrizzy says:

That 'They didn't go mobile' as you mention, Koy, is what struck me about the challenge. The Jersey girls were the only ones who went with the spirit of the challenge as I understood it, to actually leave the truck behind and go find where people were and sell at a different location, to see if their product was portable and successful on a smaller scale. I guess we weren't privy to all the details of the rules.

• anonymous says:

The others stayed because they had a crowd. Noona had to move because there was no crowd so they had to find people.

4. fai says:

I am glad Pop-A-Waffle got eliminated last night. The guy's ugly mustache looked like cockroach whiskers…so gross!!

5. doug says:

wow this show is so rigged… who are the waffle boys sleeping with at FN? Nice guys but they should have gone home weeks ago, they can't come close to keeping up… producers were clearly trying to push them through to the finale

• Gene says:

I thought the Pop-A-Waffle guys just had a great attitude as someone else has already posted. But also, I kinda thought of what they represented for the average American out there who might have dreams that are not being fulfilled because they are doing the 9-5 or what's expected of them. It was nice to see 3 extremely sweet guys who had no experience, and not even much cooking expertise try and wing it. And there were a couple of times when I thought they really shined.

It always warms my heart to see people, even later in their lives to go for what they really want out of life. Win or lose, they can say they tried and had fun trying. Good luck Pop-A-Waffle! We'll miss you guys on the show.

• LittleOneDefender says:

They're unlikable, slothful obese weirdos who pretend they're rock stars. Every instinct in my body tells me they have some freakish criminal bent, and that we'll definitely see one of them in the news for having bodies in the backyard. I can't for the life of me 1) Understand why FN would want to PROMOTE them. 2) Understand why people can't see how they're ultra-creepers. Then again, I always thought Tiger Woods was a creep and lots of people loved him…

• Guest says:

LittleOneDefender, I would like to take the time to congratulate you on being a horrible human being! Keep it up and die slowly!

6. Gutchgal says:

Tyler- when are you coming to your hometown- Grenenvile, SC ? We would LOVE the food trucks here!

7. Jessica says:

Corey.. Pop-A-Waffle was so much fun! However something you should know is we did make lots of sales that day but it is not possible to show everything. A waffle cookie which is really a pizzelle cookie is nothing like a Belgium waffle. Infact I suggest you try one as they are delicious! As for the rice balls that is actually one of the items we came on the show to make initially. We are just three girls who love to cook and had an opportunity of a lifetime! We are all about the love!!! – Jessica – Nonna's Kitchenette

• 1Dishy says:

Hi Jessica and the Nonna's Kitchenette crew!! I live in a neighboring town in Jersey and am pulling for your team to win!! Looking forward to the finale coming up next Sunday. I know the whole thing is over in real life, but, wishing you luck nonetheless. And if you do get the truck, perhaps I'll stop by for some meatballs!!

• beachinfrizzy says:

Hi Jessica I rewound the DVR but never caught what was inside the arancini – did you make a ragu? Or maybe peas and parmesan? I'm sure your Nonna was making arancini (and your beloved pizelle) for her bambini before the Waffle crew and the Seoul Sausage guys were a twinkle in their parents' eye! (Don't get me wrong, I like those guys too). Best of luck to you from a fellow Jersey girl.

8. Charlie S says:

Hey, where do all of the cash sales earned by each Food Truck Go? to the show? or a running total back to the food truck team who worked so hard to earn them $$$. Just curious?

9. @ursomniac says:

Sad to see Pop-A-Waffle go – those guys had a GREAT attitude. I hope they are able to continue on in LA!

• beachinfrizzy says:

They did have a great attitude…I just wish they hadn't been so heavy with the "schtick" – twirly flags, the clowny-color shirts, the Mario-and-Luigi moustaches, "Babaloo" (sounds like Ricky Ricardo…yes, I'm dating myself), yelling through the paper cup… but they are such nice guys and if they tweak their waffle offerings to maybe be a little easier to eat while 'on the go' I think they'll have success. I hope so.

• Matt says:

Urso, I agree. These guys may have been boisterous and a bit buffoonish, but they were FUN to watch, honestly. Bobaloo, Scott, and Anthony, thanks for help making me a fan of the Truck Race, you guys rock! And Tyler, keep it rollin' for a long time to come!

• emily says:

they might buy their own truck but they cant because that was tylers car

10. Vic says:

Great series so far. Impressive how Seoul managed to be #1 in spite of Pop-A-Waffle winning an advantage. I think what did in Pop-A-Waffle was their limited appeal with waffles. It was kind of sad to see Nonna's doing rice balls and waffles. Really?