Meet The Next Iron Chef Judges and Get a Sneak Peek of the First Episode

by in Shows, September 25th, 2012

next iron chef judges
A roster of acclaimed chefs will return for a second chance to become a member of the Iron Chef culinary society this fall, with the premiere of The Next Iron Chef: Redemption on Sunday, November 4 at 9 pm ET/PT. Earlier last month, FN Dish revealed the seven returning chefs and two newcomers:

• Nate Appleman, Amanda Freitag, Eric Greenspan and Jehangir Mehta from The Next Iron Chef Season Two
  • Elizabeth Falkner, Alex Guarnaschelli and Spike Mendelsohn from the cast of The Next Iron Chef: Super Chefs
  • First-time Next Iron Chef competitors Tim Love and Marcel Vigneron

The tenth slot will go to the winner of a Web-exclusive competition taking place on FoodNetwork.com starting October 12. The four chefs taking part in the Web battle are: Duskie Estes and Robert Treviño, who have previously competed on The Next Iron Chef, and newcomers Lee Anne Wong and Madison Cowan.

The Next Iron Chef: Redemption kicks off on “Redemption Beach,” where the chefs’ resourcefulness is tested in a grueling Chairman’s Challenge with a devious twist: Each must cook with the ingredient that sent them packing last time. Given another chance with this ingredient and only bare essentials, hot coals and one hour on the clock, some rise to the occasion while others go down in flames. The two least-successful chefs go to the Secret Ingredient Showdown, a sudden-death cook-off that leads to the first elimination.

next iron chef judgesUpcoming episodes continue to push the limits, including a canned food to Kitchen Stadium-worthy cuisine challenge, a Las Vegas buffet battle with an appearance by legendary magician David Copperfield and a “last supper” showdown.

Returning judges Donatella Arpaia and Simon Majumdar are joined by last season’s winner and newest Iron Chef, Geoffrey Zakarian, on the judging panel, along with appearances from Iron Chefs Bobby Flay, Masaharu Morimoto and Michael Symon.

The newly crowned Iron Chef’s first battle in Kitchen Stadium will premiere on Sunday, December 30 at 9pm ET/PT.

Chicken, or Something Like It — Alton’s After-Show

Chicken has a storied past on Cutthroat Kitchen: Just last season when Giada De Laurentiis stopped by for a special episode, one rival was gifted a wh...

1. Bob says:

Judges on this show are bias and racist.

2. Dodger2967 says:

I am appalled!!! I just watched chopped and I was disgusted by Alex Guarnaschelli comments about a wonderful woman who is maybe not a chef, but a awesome person who works as a lunch lady for a school. Alex says I am speechless…. what?? These are not professional chefs!! These are hard working ladies, that work their asses off!! Alex, I always wanted to like you, but you even seem stuck up on your cooking shows!!! Now I have my answer, you think you are all that!! How dare you criticize a wonderful woman who is a inspiration to schools who are cutting back on the most important things for a child.. P.E., , etc. etc.
    You should of said you are an inspiration to all the lunch ladies out there, getting nutritious meals at very hard times.. There are more homeless children out there then you know!!!!!!
    Instead, all you think about is ratings…and how you can put a wonderful hard working woman down… Shame on you!!!!!!!!!!!!

• stephen says:

the lunch ladies of the world would like to thank you (I live with one) – Alex is a very cold and heartless judge – so back to my other post – I am glad they are getting judges that will not vote for the winner on the 'you should have won last year' perspective

• Barb says:

I watched also … Alex's comment was not meant in a derogatory fashion, but rather as a compliment that these ladies, who are not chefs, can put together some very good and nutritious meals with few ingredients, low budgets and imagination.

3. Kim says:

The judges on this show are also sexist. How many seasons and not a woman winner? Alex Guarnaschelli clearly runs Zakarian's kitchen, an should have been the winner last season.

• stephen says:

none of the women on FN strike me as 'homey' types – most are stuck up (well you know…) overly made up, overly revealing clothing, overly done hair, overly buttered dishes, overly perky, overly teethy – ugh

• Barb says:

Not necessarily sexist … sometimes you just have a bad day and that day happens to boot you out … just sayin' and I'm a woman who hates sexism. Based on watching and the comments made, the outcome was accurate. Would I like to see Alex or Elizabeth … yes … but they have to earn that spot at the appropriate time. We had Cat Cora for a few years … and, I must say, she was my least favorite Iron Chef … she was just "grating".

4. stephen says:

that's what you need in a judge – not the mushy, gushy, I love you just because type of judge…this new round of IC had better live up to the billing – the last two crashed and burned – no wonder the redemption subtitle –

5. Jessica Simon says:

Redemption???!!!?? So why do these chef get a 2nd chance? Would that be totally unfair since they've been through the process and they have a better idea than the newbies. Why? have FN run out of "Stars" – or were these chef mistakenly eliminated to make sure that 'certain' chefs won or advanced.

I appauld you for re-hashing the show to the nth degree. Next Iron Chef can now be called "Really, they need the cash – so let them bake cake".

Boo hoo

• stephen says:

it's totally like dancing with the stars: all star edition on another network – hey food execs – are you watching to much tv – the next thing coming – here come giada's boo boo's

• MoHub says:

I don't think I'd mind the Redemption thing if it were strictly part of the Web series—à la Top Chef: Texas' "Last Chance Kitchen." I'd put Elizabeth, Spike, Alex, and Amanda there and move Madison Cowan and Lee Anne Wong into the main broadcast group.

6. Bakke says:

Zakarian is judging one of his previous competitors–who just happened to loose to him. Hmmmm…

7. Bakke says:

Make that 2 competitors–Elizabeth & Alex. I hope one of these women win!

8. Denise says:

It's disappointing couple of iron chef winners are doing TALK SHOW.

• MoHub says:

And what's wrong with that? They've branded themselves as celebrity chefs, and the show—The Chew is about food. I have not problem with Symon and Battali appearing on afternoon TV.

9. ann says:

I am sick of Alex G. she looks at people like they are trash under feet, she thinks she is hot stuff because she goes on iron chef. Get rid of her please

• Autumn Daze says:

I really respect a judge that is willing to cook and put it all out there in a competition as well. She may have a tough point of view but the way she honestly describes food and can detect talent is pretty incredible. She'd make a great IC because she's shown a lot of well roundness. Good luck Alex!

• vanitytop says:

I love Alex G, She is a great chef and does a great job describing flavors and preperation of dishes and has a great passion for what she does. I am sorry your dont see that

10. Barb says:

Not crazy about Majumdar either for these reasons … but, Zakarian is fair is his comments and praise and is far better qualified to be on this panel than Majumdar.