WATCH: Chopped’s School Chefs Visit the White House Garden

by in Shows, September 25th, 2012

YouTube Preview Image
All eight school chefs from Food Network’s special episodes of Chopped recently visited Washington, D.C., and the first lady’s White House garden. There, White House Assistant Chef Sam Kass gave them a coveted taste of the first lady’s tomatoes and even showed them the bounty of Thomas Jefferson’s seeds. While the ladies were grateful for the visit, it’s what they’re doing to the future of school lunches that really shines; click the play button on the video above to watch.

Find out what you can do to help our nation’s kids get the food they need to grow and thrive at FoodNetwork.com/Hungry.

Inside the Impossible: All-New Restaurant: Impossible Special to Air for 100th Episode

Week after week, fans watch as Robert Irvine and his no-fail team of designers, construction managers and volunteers take over a struggling eatery on ...

1. Susan says:

This was the absolute best episode of chopped ever. These cafeteria cooks were amazing and so inspiring, good job ladies! Kudos to Food Network for spotlighting these unsung heros!!!!

Susan – Fan in Florida

2. Tonie says:

My favorite episode. Amazing women!

3. Karen says:

As a former teacher from a low socio-economic school district – I know the challenges that are involved in feeding our next generation. I was so proud of the job the "Lunch Teachers" did on Chopped. I do believe that this is my most favorite episode-the emotion, the love, the sharing, the heart, the amazing food produced was fabulous! We sat cheering each lunch lady on! They are all winners! And, thank you to The Food Network for the $5000 for each runner up. The trip to the White House created memories for the ladies that will create a domino effect for years to come! Congratulations to All !!!!!!

4. Julio - Fan in MA says:

I have to agree that these episodes were the best. The work that these people do everyday in our schools for our children is amazing. Glad to see that they are recognized!!

5. Lenore says:

The team work, support, and friendship these women showed for each other,along with the love of making sure the kids are getting good meals was so touching.
    I was a lunch lady for 3 years and it is a very rewarding job.

THE BEST ,most touching one I have seen yet. I too found myself cheering all of them on. The ending was a great surprise for them all , as well as those of us watching. I guarantee I am not the only one who got watery eyed.

6. Edith says:

I too was a lunch room lady,worked my way up from grill girl at the high school to manager at elementary and middle school for a total of 21-1/2 years. We played beat the clock every day, but so rewarding. The program brought back many memories and tears. Thanks for showcasing our profession. Our main goal was to make sure our kids were fed so they could learn.

7. Kim B says:

The ability to feed children is often underestimated. I'm glad it was brought to the forefront here.

8. yummyyummyschlurp says:

it's amazing, really, that the lunch staff can put together as much as they can, with as few resources as they have. What an awesome ending for all of the lunch ladies!! I know the USDA and the school lunch providers around the country are working hard to make sure kids are fed – the impact is far reaching. If people knew the numbers – they are staggering. The amount of money allotted for putting a lunch together – the number of kids that rely on school lunch as their only meal of the day. You go ladies!!

9. emily says:

I think it is so amazing that they are getting recognized for doing what thay do they have a hard job my elementary school had 800 kids kinder through sixth and at least half of them needed school lunch and everyone did get it.

10. Brooks S says:

I love Chopped. But, wow, what a great thing to bring in school chefs to compete! So talented and humble and driven are these women. I cried watching the show, and I never cry when watching Chopped. I was especially delighted to see Sam Kass from the White House staff participate in the judging. Lastly, how terrific that all of the chefs received some money AND a trip to the White House. If it's true that this is the first time in over 30 years that the administration has expanded funding for school food programs, then I am truly impressed, as these programs are so critical to keeping kids healthy and in school. How can I help?